Classic Albums Live

Laurabw

Anyone know anything about Classic Albums Live? They're doing 2112, at a bunch of places including a PAC theater near me in NJ.

Apparently it's note for note.

I've been to two of their shows. Both Led Zep.

Amazing sound and highly recommend seeing them. I'm away 9/30 so I cannot make the show.

Funny, a good friend just recommended these guys to me the other day. He thinks they're amazing.

So they're doing a 39 minute show? Geez, it'll take you longer than that to park your car! :LOL:

If they're open to playing an entire album live, we should make them play Rush in Rio!

Now you're talking! I'd even settle for All the World's a Stage at @ 1 hour 20 minutes. But 39 minutes.... I mean, come on!!!

I thought i read they do other songs then also, but I dont know if that's the case every time. Edited by Laurabw

A few of my former band mates play in the Classic Albums Live bands. They do take great effort to be close to the original; but I would have to honestly say that I have heard other tribute bands (perhaps ones that focus on just one band) that are more authentic.

This is a point that really bugs me about the Rush show (at least the one that I saw) : that they use more than 3 people! To me, as a musician, is just a let down. Not to say that what Geddy does isn't significantly difficult, but I have been in bands with and know other bass players that also sing and play keys in Rush tribute bands. For sure, you need a musician with some unique talents. But, to see a band constructed of 4 or even 5 people cover Rush just doesn't feel right to me - I would rather that they did exactly what Rush did - use backing sequences if necessary (trigger them!) but don't add more people! (It's one thing for a band of 4/5 people to cover a Rush song - it's another to put together a Rush specific tribute and then add 4,5 musicians...) That said, there are many different Classic Album Live bands - not sure what the current Rush configuration is.

• Like 1

A few of my former band mates play in the Classic Albums Live bands. They do take great effort to be close to the original; but I would have to honestly say that I have heard other tribute bands (perhaps ones that focus on just one band) that are more authentic.

This is a point that really bugs me about the Rush show (at least the one that I saw) : that they use more than 3 people! To me, as a musician, is just a let down. Not to say that what Geddy does isn't significantly difficult, but I have been in bands with and know other bass players that also sing and play keys in Rush tribute bands. For sure, you need a musician with some unique talents. But, to see a band constructed of 4 or even 5 people cover Rush just doesn't feel right to me - I would rather that they did exactly what Rush did - use backing sequences if necessary (trigger them!) but don't add more people! (It's one thing for a band of 4/5 people to cover a Rush song - it's another to put together a Rush specific tribute and then add 4,5 musicians...) That said, there are many different Classic Album Live bands - not sure what the current Rush configuration is.

I saw a YouTube somewhere that said they have nine people .

I saw CAL do 2112 a few years ago at the Phoenix Club in Toronto. I have no way of knowing if it's any where near the same lineup but there were 6 guys iirc. They did 2112 in it's entirety and then padded out the evening with a bunch of other Rush oldies including Before and After - which I had never heard anyone play that live (this is before the release of the Laura Secord HS video). Anyway they did a great job and I liked how they focus more on the music as opposed to looking like Rush. Although one of the guitarists had a tobacco burst Les Paul - nice touch.
  • Like 1

You are missing the point. I have been attending CAL shows since the first show The Wall way back when. They are NOT a tribute band. They play albums note for note and cut for cut. No talking in between etc. To re-create the albums, they obviously have to have more musicians to cover over-dubs, extra guitars etc. They do not use loops or recordings. When they did Pink Floyd Animals, they had a live dog barking on stage. They also do a second set of greatest hits. So the Rush show will be 2112 - note for note with no interruptions. Second set - greatest hits - a little looser with talking etc.

By the way. I have two tickets that I cannot use. My band has a gig that night. They aren't the greatest seats, but there are very few bad ones at Massey Hall - what a great place for Rush fans to see this show! I never thought of offering them here, but now I will. If you are a true Rush fan LOL and can pick up the tickets and attend the Toronto show on June 10, PM me - first come first served.
  • Like 1

You are missing the point. I have been attending CAL shows since the first show The Wall way back when. They are NOT a tribute band. They play albums note for note and cut for cut. No talking in between etc. To re-create the albums, they obviously have to have more musicians to cover over-dubs, extra guitars etc. They do not use loops or recordings. When they did Pink Floyd Animals, they had a live dog barking on stage. They also do a second set of greatest hits. So the Rush show will be 2112 - note for note with no interruptions. Second set - greatest hits - a little looser with talking etc.

How the f**k am I missing the point? I stated my preference for CAL choosing to put emphasis on recreating the music as opposed to doing a "tribute" act that visually recreates Rush. dummy btw bringing an actual dog and getting him to bark on cue is f***ing stupid and potentially cruel - has nothing to do with authenticity.

Edited by taurus

I want to meet the guy who trained a dog to bark note for note with the studio version of Pink Floyd's "Dogs". Now THAT is impressive! :notworthy: :LOL:

Did they have a herd of sheep and a live pig too? :o

Edited by Empty Mindless Spectre
  • Like 1

They're playing at Massey Hall in Toronto which I thought would be cool to see. But the $130-$150 ticket price was a bit too high for me right now.

You can go see them In Oshawa at the regent theatre on June 3rd for a fraction of the price. its no Massey hall but its a great room.

• Like 1

They play 2112 note for note cut for cut in its entirety. then the second set is a medley of hits. These are world class musicians and its a great show, its not a tribute band its just about the music. Have seen numerous CAL shows, ZEP,Bowie,Fleetwood etc and they are always a good time. The Toronto show should be great, is a bit pricey but you are at Massey Hall! The Oshawa show is priced right, if you quote "RUSHCON" to the Oshawa theatre you get a discount too. both going to be cool shows!
  • Like 1

How the f**k am I missing the point? I stated my preference for CAL choosing to put emphasis on recreating the music as opposed to doing a "tribute" act that visually recreates Rush. dummy btw bringing an actual dog and getting him to bark on cue is f***ing stupid and potentially cruel - has nothing to do with authenticity.

Wow you may want to relax buddy. Seriously. I wasn't even referring to your post.

Well your post appears directly after mine and you didn't quote anyone else, so it's a reasonable assumption. Sorry for jumping on you like that

Nice backpedal, Taurus.

Based on a fair sampling of you tube videos, I can't see myself making the effort to see this. It may be note for note and it may sound like the record but there doesn't seem to be much of what I'd look for in a live experience.