Who is a better vocalist: Freddie Mercury or Steve Perry?

Texas King

Who is a better vocalist: Freddie Mercury or Steve Perry?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Who is a better vocalist: Freddie Mercury or Steve Perry?

Steve is good but Freddie was way more versatile and had much more character in his voice. One example of how good Freddie was is the tribute concert back in 1991, none of the singers could sing the songs as good as Freddie. The best was George Michael but it wasn't even close. Bowie was good but he just sang his part on Under Pressure but with Annie Lennox who was ok. Roger Daltrey, Elton John and co were all disappointing.
  • Like 2

Steve Perry and it's an easy win for me.

Better live singer for one!

• Like 2

This is an interesting poll.

Freddie is the better vocalist, but I think Steve could've blown Freddy off the stage with his voice in his heyday. Steve had a more powerful voice.

hm...disagree.

• Like 2

Freddie is the better vocalist, but I think Steve could've blown Freddy off the stage with his voice in his heyday. Steve had a more powerful voice.

hm...disagree.

hm...don't care.

• Like 2

hm...disagree.

hm...don't care.

savage, lol

Mick

• Like 1

hm...disagree.

hm...don't care.

savage, lol

Mick

I was just going to post this exact same post haha

But yeah...I side with Lorraine.

I don't disagree I just stick to my view.

• Like 1

hm...disagree.

hm...don't care.

lol, that's fine, agree to disagree then.

• Like 2

Pre-1985? Perry. The vocals from Infinity and Evolution are outstanding...not as theatrical or operatic but smooth, powerful and outstanding.

1985ish you start hearing the decline in Perry's voice. That's the point where Mercury (consistently excellent) starts coming out on top.

Hard to choose, both great singers but very different music so its hard to compare.

• Like 1

Perry. He has a mathematically superior voice.

Mathematically?

If that's synonymous for subjectively, sure, why not? If you mean technically, then I don't believe so.

Does that mean Perry was better at math?

He probably was. Fred went to art school, not math school.

If we're doing a band v. band math contest though, I think Brian May can singlehandedly clobber anyone who's ever been in Journey.

• Like 1

Perry. He has a mathematically superior voice.

Mathematically?

If that's synonymous for subjectively, sure, why not? If you mean technically, then I don't believe so.

Math is made up of objective facts. The way some seem to believe singing quality can be assessed.

Does that mean Perry was better at math?

No. In another thread it was suggested, seriously it seems, that Mercury is an objectively better singer than Geddy. I don't believe there are objective ways to measure how well someone sings.

There aren't objective ways. However, if one is looking at things from the perspective of a classically trained and educated vocalist, someone who went to school for voice performance, there are objective indicators of better and worse singing. Freddie meets nearly all of those indicators, Ged doesn't. Doesn't mean Ged is objectively worse, but he isn't classically as good as Freddie, which means something to some people.

Me, I hear more music in Freddie's voice than I hear in any other singer. That's all I care about.

• Like 2