Did Rush break through everywhere around the globe?

Texas King

What you think?

Are Rush a well-known band to rock fans worldwide and did they have an impact and gain a fanbase in all regions around the world where rock music was/is fairly popular?

I know North America and Western Europe are a safe bet for Rush.

I haven't known one person UNDER 40 here in Japan who knew of Rush before I mentioned them. Not even heard of the band's name. Of course, local Rush fans must exist ((some are on this board matter of fact)) but I haven't actually met any.

Not touring here since '84 hasn't helped.

I can't imagine Rush being known in some SE Asian countries like Laos, Myanmar or Cambodia. BUT I'd bet there are some Rush fans in Singapore due to an ample size western population residing there.

• Like 1

i wonder how many people recognized neal when he stopped for food or lodging on his bike tour of the countries rush played?

Zumbi? WTF? That avatar looks familiar!

• Like 3

Sort of on topic, here are some photos from Ahoy Sportpaleis, Rotterdam, Holland, November 14th, 1981

http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/rush/images/concerts/rush-rotterdam-holland-11.14.1981/Ahoy81-02.jpg

http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/rush/images/concerts/rush-rotterdam-holland-11.14.1981/Ahoy81-04.jpg

http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/rush/images/concerts/rush-rotterdam-holland-11.14.1981/Ahoy81-25.jpg

http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/rush/images/concerts/rush-rotterdam-holland-11.14.1981/Ahoy81-29.jpg

• Like 5

i wonder how many people recognized neal when he stopped for food or lodging on his bike tour of the countries rush played?

Im pretty sure Z said his dad took that. IMPOSTER

Zumbi or wta63?

Wait... maybe wta63 is his dad? :AlienSmiley:

Anyway, welcome to TRF! And if you're not Zumbi's dad, please change your avatar, or you might get confused with another member here, ZUMBI. You don't want that, believe me. :16ton:

• Like 3

I haven't known one person UNDER 40 here in Japan who knew of Rush before I mentioned them. Not even heard of the band's name. Of course, local Rush fans must exist ((some are on this board matter of fact)) but I haven't actually met any.

I can't imagine Rush being known in some SE Asian countries like Laos, Myanmar or Cambodia. BUT I'd bet there are some Rush fans in Singapore due to an ample size western population residing there.

The last time I visited the Philippines about 4 years ago, exactly two people (both are relatives of mine) knew of Rush when they asked me what I listen to.
  • Like 1

The last time I visited the Philippines about 4 years ago, exactly two people (both are relatives of mine) knew of Rush when they asked me what I listen to.

Yup. I've got tons of cousins, uncles, and aunts there and some of them at least know of Rush. One of my first cousins owns a shipbuilding and sightseeing company called Metallica.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze
  • Like 1

I know that there are Aussie fans but not many. Not played on radio here. I listened to Aussie music before I moved here but people would probably have to have friends or relatives who liked Rush to know them here

Im pretty sure Z said his dad took that. IMPOSTER

But Zumbi wouldn't spell Neil's name wrong though

• Like 1

Why do you have my photo!? That avatar is my photo, taken by my dad at the concert I went to! And how did you get it!?

Why do you have my photo!? That avatar is my photo, taken by my dad at the concert I went to! And how did you get it!?

Relax, calm down.

He probably did not know, I am sure if u ask him nicely he will change it.

I feel like Rush are very much a North American thing, and a cult North American thing at that. There's a lot of British fans of Rush on this forum as well, so they must've had decent market penetration there.

In terms of bands that actually broke through worldwide... Deep Purple.

But you need about 2.5 times the record sales of Rush to do that.

• Like 2

as subtle as a stick of dynamite shoved down someone's throat

• Like 2

Lita sent it. :whipgirl:

Edited by troutman

They definitely did not break through in Germany, not even close. I don't know a single person who has even heard of the band. Not even a friend of mine who listens to Saga (another canadian prog rock band) had heard of them before I told him. And those 2 concerts I attended (2007 and 2011) didn't even sell out. Sure the fans are somewhere, but good luck finding them.

I think Rush only really had a breakthrough in North America, UK and I guess Brazil.

And in my opinion the lack of touring outside of North America is the main reason for not becoming well-known pretty much anywhere else.

Edited by Irenicus

I don't really care. They broke through with me, and a bunch of other people. And I'm happy about that.

Sure, though, it's an awesome thing for a group of musicians to be adored by people in so many different countries.

• Like 1

They definitely did not break through in Germany, not even close. I don't know a single person who has even heard of the band.

I weep for greyfriar. :(

• Like 1

Non existent in Australia although the Clockwork Angels DVD charted for a week, surprisingly. IMO opinion Rush made a huge mistake in not touring the UK from 83 to 88, the fan base dwindled. I'm on the video ASoH's and I remember people in the audience were a bit uncertain with the songs they were hearing at times, remember there was no internet to know the set list in advance. Edited by tas7
  • Like 1