Clockwork Angels tracks?

Texas King

Clockwork Angels tracks?  

83 members have voted

1. 1. Top 3 tracks from CA?

2. 2. Filler track(s) on CA?

Wish I liked this more than I do. I find the weird production and cut-and-paste sounding arrangements distracting. I've tried a few times with CA and it doesn't do anything for me, it's just noisy background music. The material is more varied than S&A, but just as forgettable somehow.

Maybe the book tainted it for me. Damn you KJ Anderson! :P If Voltaire was alive today, he'd tweet "get me out of this coffin!"

BU2B and Caravan sounded awesome on the Time Machine tour btw. :yes:

For me the top 3 are:

1. Halo Effect

2. The Garden

3. Headlong Flight

As for fillers / songs I don't like that would be every song prior to Halo Effect plus BU2B2. The rest of the album is ok, I can put up with it, but nothing special. Plus the poor production hurts even those songs. Not one of my favorite Rush albums.

• Like 1

I'll post my 8-song re-working of the album, which I think really makes the whole thing work much better, both in song flow and album length.

1. Clockwork Angels ( a logical opener, creating the Clockwork universe)

2. BU2B (enter the main character)

3. The Anarchist

4. Seven Cities of Gold

5. Carnies

6. BU2B2 (I personally like the idea of a reprise/segue)

7. The Garden

8. Caravan (a killer track as a closer)

The remaining tracks are either too much of a good things or sub-par filler

Dude, where's Headlong Flight? I can't believe my eyes.
  • Like 2

CA, The Anarchist, Seven cities of Gold

Weak ones: Wish Them Well, BU2B2

You know you run around your mom's basement naked singing "wish them well". You're fooling no one Duckman

My mum's basement is in the graveyard, so to speak...

A next to impossible poll! To me, every song on the album is great and every song on the album is important; as I do consider it a concept album.

My top 3 were:

The Anarchist

Carnies

Seven Cities Of Gold

My filler track (because I had to vote for one):

BU2B2

• Like 1

The tracks I love:

Caravan

BU2B

Clockwork Angels

Seven Cities Of Gold

The Wreckers

Headlong Flight

A top three would likely be:

BU2B

Seven Cities

The Wreckers

Worst songs:

The Anarchist

Halo Effect

The rest I really like. Special mention goes to Wish Them Well, better than any sing of Side B of 2112. Which means, every track I love I like more than any if the songs off that album side.

Flaws of the album are a tendency to be able to pick out where ideas were sewed together from jams, hideous production (if the band wanted the album to sound like this they are idiots), and the pace and flow of the album is all the same. No ups and downs, no dynamics...it just trudges along, taking all it's great moments and grinding them into a mass of mediocrity that never truly disappoints, but doesn't really thrill either.

Those that love it, good for you. But this isn't one of the best rock albums of the modern age. It's just a pretty good Rush album.

Love: Caravan, BU2B, and The Garden

Like: The Wreckers, Wish Them Well, and The Anarchist

Hate: Headlong Flight, Clockwork Angels, and Seven Cities of Gold

I really, really, really, really do not understand the love that Headlong Flight and the title track get on this board. I remember putting this album on for the first time. I, obviously, already knew the first two songs from the single. Immediately, I was annoyed that they had been changed so that they were kind of crossfaded (I detest crossfading). I thought to myself, that's okay, I still have the single versions, so it doesn't matter. Then the next track came on and it was so long and pedantic. I kept thinking to myself when will this thing end and OH NO, THIS is the title track! After what seemed like an hour The Anarchist lifted my spirits momentarily, but I was again disappointed by the fact that it too was crossfaded into Carnies. I felt like both Carnies and Halo Effect were okay if not particularly memorable, but by this time it was already clear to me that the album was a HUGE disappointment compared to Snakes & Arrows.

Then there was Seven Cities Of Gold; that was a difficult listen. I instantly had a new least favourite on an album that was already very sub-par in my book. I liked The Wreckers instantly, so that was a nice respite, but it didn't last long. I had watched the video only once on the RUSH website for Headlong Flight and was legitimately surprised that it was the lead single. I thought it had to be a mistake. There is nothing about this song I like. It is poorly written and poorly constructed and it sounds like a boring jam rather than an actual song. UGH! BU2B2 isn't really a song, so... At least the album ends well. I like Wish Them Well. The only problem with it is that it comes so late in the album that you've lost faith by the time you reach it. At least the lyrics on that song are relatable! The last song was brilliant too. I kept singing "The hours tick away... The cells tick away...". Yes they do. I think I'll tick mine away listening to a better RUSH album, like Snakes & Arrows.

Headlong Flight is not only my favorite song on CA, but among my top 15 Rush songs of all time.

Top 3:

Headlong

CA

7 Cities

Filler:

Halo Effect

BU2B2

Edited by Mithrandir

I hate to say this, being a Rush fan and all but....CA would probably be much more appealing to me if

A: someone else produced and mixed it

B: some songs were dropped and the rest in a different running order

C: a different younger singer performed the vocals. Ged's creaky voice just ruins most of it for me.

• Like 1

I hate to say this, being a Rush fan and all but....CA would probably be much more appealing to me if

C: a different younger singer performed the vocals. Ged's creaky voice just ruins most of it for me.

I thought Ged's vocals on the album are fine...even powerful in places. It was live that I had to cringe a bit bless him.

• Like 1

I thought Ged's vocals on the album are fine...even powerful in places. It was live that I had to cringe a bit bless him.

They hid a lot of his vocals in the studio by cranking everything else up.

They hid a lot of his vocals in the studio by cranking everything else up.

To, like, 11?

• Like 2

Some of the songs start off promising...The intro to Anarchist is pretty kick ass for example. But after a minute or so into it after the vocals start I lose interest and want to skip ahead to the next song. Where the same thing happens. Rinse, lather, repeat. Lol
  • Like 2

1. The Wreckers

2. Clockwork Angels

3. Wish Them Well ( I know it's not well loved, but I enjoy it, and it hit me in a personal place when i first heard it.

-----------

Not sure there's true "filler" on here, but "BU2B2" and "Carnies" are the ones I have never gravitated to, personally.

• Like 1

1. The Wreckers

2. Clockwork Angels

3. Wish Them Well ( I know it's not well loved, but I enjoy it, and it hit me in a personal place when i first heard it.

-----------

Not sure there's true "filler" on here, but "BU2B2" and "Carnies" are the ones I have never gravitated to, personally.

I love Wish Them Well. Still sounds like it could have been the best song on 2112's second side!

The part in the title track where it sounds like Geddy is singing through a cheap speaker phone and I can't make out a single word. Not a one. Thanks a lot, Nick R. Bang up job you did there

It's supposed to sound like that. That is what that vocal effect does.

The part in the title track where it sounds like Geddy is singing through a cheap speaker phone and I can't make out a single word. Not a one. Thanks a lot, Nick R. Bang up job you did there

Then it was a bad decision.

I wouldn't change a thing. Their last album truly was among their best.

If I had to pick one least favorite song...I don't know. They all fit really well as a complete song cycle.

• Like 3

I don't think it's a bad decision, quite the opposite I think it's a great idea...BUT...the mixing/mastering/execution is so bad that like you I can't quite understand everything that's going on musically or vocally. Way too compressed.

I don't think it's a bad decision, quite the opposite I think it's a great idea...BUT...the mixing/mastering/execution is so bad that like you I can't quite understand everything that's going on musically or vocally. Way too compressed.

Perhaps.

I definitely agree about the mastering.