Cutting the cord

Ancient Ways

I just started a 7 day free trial of sling tv. If I end up liking it I will still get most of my channels for about $100 per month less than I'm paying for directv. Anyone else using this or a similar service or have any info for me?
  • Like 1

Local channel availability is dependent on your location. I'm only able to receive the local fox affiliate which happens to be the one I get my news from. I am able to get Florida sports channels though.

I just started a 7 day free trial of sling tv. If I end up liking it I will still get most of my channels for about $100 per month less than I'm paying for directv. Anyone else using this or a similar service or have any info for me?

We cut the cable about three years ago. $100.00 bucks a month just wasn't worth it. A shock at first, but in the end it was a great move. Now it is just local channels with a few great classic channels thrown in. :codger:

• Like 1

I use Sling. It's not without its limitations, but overall, I am satisfied.

How long have you had it and do you have n over the air antenna for local channels?

I use Sling. It's not without its limitations, but overall, I am satisfied.

How long have you had it and do you have n over the air antenna for local channels?

I have had it since January 2017. I get local channels via my cable cord/antenna. I don't miss cable at all.

• Like 2

Thanks for the info. My sling only has the local fox affiliate so I'm going to likely need an antenna to pick up the over the air locals so my wife can see ncis. Plus, where we live we need access to all local weather channels during hurricane season.

I get Sling via a Roku and have an antenna for over the air channels and don't miss cable at all, now. At first, there was definitely an adjustment period but once I got through that, it's been great. The thing I like about Sling is if you want to change to a different package, just call them and they switch it immediately. I did that during college football bowl season so I could watch ESPN and then when it was over, I switched back to the middle tier. They also now have a "DVR" in the cloud for an extra $5 a month. No idea how it works but I'm looking into that to see if it's something I'd use.

Thanks ford. I reviewed a cnet article on local antennae and just ordered one that I'll hopefully have by the end of the week. My new hobby is questioning every expenditure I make financially.
  • Like 1

So do you just need an internet connection to get Sling? I'm trying to figure out the cheapest way to get more tv channels. I'm pretty far from the city so can only pick up a couple of channels by antenna.

So do you just need an internet connection to get Sling? I'm trying to figure out the cheapest way to get more tv channels. I'm pretty far from the city so can only pick up a couple of channels by antenna.

You also need some kind of device to hook to the TV or a "Smart TV". Roku, Chromecast, Amazon Fire stick and many others will connect with Sling.

You also need some kind of device to hook to the TV or a "Smart TV". Roku, Chromecast, Amazon Fire stick and many others will connect with Sling.

Thanks. I have a smart TV but I'm not sure if Sling is on there. That's how I got Netflix before before Does anyone know if DirecTV just offers Internet service?

• Like 1

Thanks. I have a smart TV but I'm not sure if Sling is on there. That's how I got Netflix before before Does anyone know if DirecTV just offers Internet service?

They used to ahve Hughes net internet over the satellite but that would probably defeat the purpose.

It has always seemed like a steep expense to justify. Had it growing up, and after moving out I had DirecTV for a year in my current house; at a good deal split three ways. My mom still spends $100+ a month on satellite TV. Crazy to me.
  • Like 1

I'm pretty sure DirectTV just bundes using other net providers, like HughesNet or ATT. How do you access the web now?

It has always seemed like a steep expense to justify. Had it growing up, and after moving out I had DirecTV for a year in my current house; at a good deal split three ways. My mom still spends $100+ a month on satellite TV. Crazy to me.

Most of my friends spend around $200/month. When I ask them if they'd pay $2500 a year for tv they look at me like I'm nuts. Until they figure out the math, that is.
  • Like 1

Directv does offer a streaming only service that looks pretty good. I think it is a little better than sling.

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure DirectTV just bundes using other net providers, like HughesNet or ATT. How do you access the web now?

Only on my cell phone. I don't have internet in the house.

• Like 1

Directv does offer a streaming only service that looks pretty good. I think it is a little better than sling.

The reason I asked about Directv was because I have a dish out back that the previous owners had installed.

Only on my cell phone. I don't have internet in the house.

Aha. Well, depending on your plan and connection, you could use your phone to stream via a smart tv.

Depends on what you're looking for in programming.

It's also more expensive than 2 of the 3 Sling plans.

Anything more than what I have now which is like two channels maybe. I have an antenna hooked up to my TV but it's just not drawing enough because I'm not close enough to town.