RUSH Best Mastering Guide

diatribein

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017/05/29/16/40EA963A00000578-4552628-Tiger_Woods_was_arrested_on_Monday_in_Jupiter_Florida_on_a_charg-a-70_1496072364597.jpg

Ohhh, poor Tigger. Such a strange story. On Golf.com it says the police know a lot of pro golfers pretty well down there. He must have been driving quite badly to get more than a warning. Photo certainly makes it believeable! :o

Edited by blueschica

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017/05/29/16/40EA963A00000578-4552628-Tiger_Woods_was_arrested_on_Monday_in_Jupiter_Florida_on_a_charg-a-70_1496072364597.jpg

Ohhh, poor Tigger. Such a strange story. On Golf.com it says the police know a lot of pro golfers pretty well down there. He must have been driving quite badly to get more than a warning. Photo certainly makes it believeable! :o

He's starting to look like Homer Simpson! :doh:

• Like 2

Yeah, If I knew how to do the waveform thing I would :)

I pulled some of my CDs out of storage over the weekend, and realized that I have 3 Anthems - Exit, Grace, and Power Windows.

1. Download Audacity (free wave editor) and open it

2.click and drag track you want into programme

3. waveform will then appear on screen...you can do this for multiple tracks in same window

4. Take screenshot, and Bobs yer Uncle!

• Like 2

Would be interesting to see the waveform of the MFSL release compared to these.

Would be interesting to see the waveform of Michael Moore's flatulence.
  • Like 1

Would be interesting to see the waveform of the MFSL release compared to these.

Would be interesting to see the waveform of Michael Moore's flatulence.

:D Way too much vital signs for my taste.

• Like 1

I pulled some of my CDs out of storage over the weekend, and realized that I have 3 Anthems - Exit, Grace, and Power Windows.

What is the catalogue number on your Power Windows? ANC-1-1049, ANC-11049, VANK-1049, or ANK-1049?

And while you are at it, let us know the # on Grace Under Pressure as well.

Thanks!

The Grace and Windows are VANKs :)

The Exit was something else.. I forget.. but it was the original CD tracklisting (no Bangkok)

What is the catalogue number on your Power Windows? ANC-1-1049, ANC-11049, VANK-1049, or ANK-1049?

Thanks!

The Exit was something else.. I forget.. but it was the original CD tracklisting (no Bangkok)

Thanks!

The Power Windows VANK has a small error. Have you noticed it? The beginning of Emotion Detector is actually on the end of the Middletown Dreams track. Meaning if you pop in your CD and just press track 7, the beginning we be slightly cut. If you listen through there is no problem. All it means is that if you need to rip these songs to put on a mobile device or your computer you will need to reassemble Emotion Detector with some music editing software by attaching Middletown Dreams to the start of Emotion Detector and cutting a second before the original track start. I think i-tunes lets you set ripping times to be X seconds before the start too, so that would work as well. If you want to put the album on shuffle or listen to it out of order, you are shit out of luck.

Exit... is probably WAGK-1035. That is the most common one.

• Like 2

Thanks!

Thanks!

The Power Windows VANK has a small error. Have you noticed it? The beginning of Emotion Detector is actually on the end of the Middletown Dreams track. Meaning if you pop in your CD and just press track 7, the beginning we be slightly cut. If you listen through there is no problem. All it means is that if you need to rip these songs to put on a mobile device or your computer you will need to reassemble Emotion Detector with some music editing software by attaching Middletown Dreams to the start of Emotion Detector and cutting a second before the original track start. I think i-tunes lets you set ripping times to be X seconds before the start too, so that would work as well. If you want to put the album on shuffle or listen to it out of order, you are shit out of luck.

Exit... is probably WAGK-1035. That is the most common one.

Exit and Stage are probably the only Anthem's I wouldn't want.due to the missing tracks. I suppose and Anthem Chronicles might be nice to have though.

• Like 1

I suppose and Anthem Chronicles might be nice to have though.

I've got that! :7up:

I just bought all the early anthem discs( mint) for $100 on Ebay------ :7up:

Nice! Was there a lot auction of them all together or did you just win various single disc auctions? I've been keeping tabs and noticed a bunch of single Anthem CDs had gone up recently, but I haven't seen any auction for a whole collection on its own.

I just bought all the early anthem discs( mint) for $100 on Ebay------ :7up:

Nice! Was there a lot auction of them all together or did you just win various single disc auctions? I've been keeping tabs and noticed a bunch of single Anthem CDs had gone up recently, but I haven't seen any auction for a whole collection on its own.

They were in the auction as single discs, I truly believe the guy undervalued them, each disc started at $4.99 US. The only one i am missing is Hemispheres. very hard to find.

A few went pretty recently, but not for $5!

June 4th: http://www.ebay.ca/i...4-/272690999023

May 18th: http://www.ebay.ca/i...d-/391781383368

April 30th: http://www.ebay.ca/i...4-/222488220842

April 30th: http://www.ebay.ca/i...4-/272642585574

Personally I wouldn't have bought the $25 one on April 30th because it is a BMG record club disc rather than the commercial version of the album. The album usually comes up every couple of months. Just keep your eye on ebay. Maybe even send Resell-Mania (http://www.ebay.ca/u...=p2047675.l2559) a message, since they have sold 2 of them in less than a month and a half's time, letting them know you would like to buy one as soon as it comes in. Offer them $15 for it since the two they sold were for $13.50 & $12.11. That way they will prefer just selling it to you rather than putting it up for auction and hoping to get that much for it. They might not care, or say no, but it is worth a shot if you want it!

Edited by diatribein

I just have the US CD and the European vinyl. I tend not to go too overboard with hits compilations though I have at least one version of everything but that Time Stand Still Euro comp.

• Like 1

I just have the US CD and the European vinyl. I tend not to go too overboard with hits compilations though I have at least one version of everything but that Time Stand Still Euro comp.

I generally don't buy the compilations myself. At least not from that late 90s to early 2000s period when the record labels were basically trying to bilk as much money as they could get out of the public by releasing multiple compilations for every band on their roster. Chronicles is different because it comes from the late 80s early 90s period when Greatest Hits albums were still relevant one off releases with their own merit. I too have the European vinyl, but the Canadian CD rather than the US. The one thing I don't have is the original packaging. I hate those "fatboy" CD cases for double albums, so I would always transfer my double CDs that came in them to the regular jewel case sized doubles. It's funny, I don't remember buying Chronicles on CD and in 1990 I was living in Portugal so I couldn't have gotten it then. Still, it was never re-released & remastered so I could have picked it up once I was back in Canada... Either way I have no recollection. It's really not as memorable as buying a new studio album the day it comes out!

I generally don't buy the compilations myself. At least not from that late 90s to early 2000s period when the record labels were basically trying to bilk as much money as they could get out of the public by releasing multiple compilations for every band on their roster. Chronicles is different because it comes from the late 80s early 90s period when Greatest Hits albums were still relevant one off releases with their own merit. I too have the European vinyl, but the Canadian CD rather than the US. The one thing I don't have is the original packaging. I hate those "fatboy" CD cases for double albums, so I would always transfer my double CDs that came in them to the regular jewel case sized doubles. It's funny, I don't remember buying Chronicles on CD and in 1990 I was living in Portugal so I couldn't have gotten it then. Still, it was never re-released & remastered so I could have picked it up once I was back in Canada... Either way I have no recollection. It's really not as memorable as buying a new studio album the day it comes out!

Well Chronicles has the essay. The Retrospectives (97 remasters compilations) had some pretty cool artwork. The Gold double CD was essentially a reissue of the Retrospective . The Spirit Of Radio comp is essentially a distillation of the double CD but with cool art work and a bonus DVD of a few videos from Chronicles.

Then you have the bare bones Icon sets The one CD (red cover) kind of goes off the board from the previous comps and the double CD (black cover) includes a second disc with tracks from the first three live albums.

I found everything in the used bin heavily discounted except for the Retrospectives which I bought on release because I thought the covers were really cool and I wrongfully assumed there would be sonic improvements.

I found everything in the used bin heavily discounted except for the Retrospectives which I bought on release because I thought the covers were really cool and I wrongfully assumed there would be sonic improvements.

I think ALL OF US were fooled when the first wave of remasters started being issued. None of us could believe that the music industry would purposely put out shittier versions of the music we loved just so they could sound louder. We were all duped by these jerks, because we trusted the professionals charged with mastering to not purposely destroy the music they were working on at the behest of record execs who just thought making everything louder was the way to sell more records. We all bought into it. We all were fools.

• Like 1

I think ALL OF US were fooled when the first wave of remasters started being issued. None of us could believe that the music industry would purposely put out shittier versions of the music we loved just so they could sound louder. We were all duped by these jerks, because we trusted the professionals charged with mastering to not purposely destroy the music they were working on at the behest of record execs who just thought making everything louder was the way to sell more records. We all bought into it. We all were fools.

When they first came out they were almost universally praised. I was sort of OK with them until about Hemispheres when they additional instrumentation was fighting for space.

Also forgot about Retrospective IIII (Atlantic compilation) with the unique Vapor Trails mixes and the bonus DVD which contains many of my favorite Rush videos. Never found the promo poster for that one.

• Like 1

Also forgot about Retrospective IIII (Atlantic compilation) with the unique Vapor Trails mixes and the bonus DVD which contains many of my favorite Rush videos. Never found the promo poster for that one.

Retrospective III is well worth the money, if for nothing else than the DVD portion. I believe Earthshine & One Little Victory are the same mixes that would eventually appear on Vapor Trails Remixed. Please correct me if I am wrong. I think that is the last compilation worth having released by the band.

Heh... too bad this is ALL about digital...

Sadly none of this helps me personally.ONLY interested in vinyl pressings, sorry...

Seems like many here, though, ARE indeed finding this helpful, so that's good! :D

Edited by latheofheaven

Retrospective III is well worth the money, if for nothing else than the DVD portion. I believe Earthshine & One Little Victory are the same mixes that would eventually appear on Vapor Trails Remixed. Please correct me if I am wrong. I think that is the last compilation worth having released by the band.

Rich Chycki did those mixes. They are different than "Remixed."

• Like 1