GOAT : Polarizing Movie Discussion Part One: Scarface

Lucas

Is Scarface In The Discussion For GOAT ???  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Is Scarface In The Discussion For GOAT ??

• Absolutely Yes ... Epic film, and Tony Montana is one of the best characters ever
    • No ... Its appeal is baffling and is too over the top and campy
    • No ... The violence and language make it unwatchable
    • Cant say one way or the other - I've never seen Scarface

Some films that are in the discussion for Greatest Of All Time are consensus good films - in other words, even if you're not a fan, you can understand the appeal ..

Other films can be love / hate .. They might have a rabid following while their success and appeal can be baffling to others ..

I can think of a few films that some might considered the greatest of all time by some while others wouldn't put it in their Top 1000

This thread is about 1983's Scarface

I love the movie .. it's an epic, three hour masterpiece with some amazing performances and classic scenes ...

If someone wants to call it GOAT, I'm not going to argue

http://theactionelite.com/site/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/scarface-remake-director.jpg

Awful dialogue. No character development. Awkward pacing.

Even Juassic Park did these things better.

When you live in a place that has many Cuban Americans it is impossible to not be constantly disturbed by the terrible accent Pacino uses in the film. No chemistry between Pfeiffer and Pacino as well. No way this is in running as goat

When you live in a place that has many Cuban Americans it is impossible to not be constantly disturbed by the terrible accent Pacino uses in the film. No chemistry between Pfeiffer and Pacino as well. No way this is in running as goat

I'm in NJ, which has the third highest Cuban American population in the USA .... And considering I'm in NJ, am I not supposed to enjoy The Sopranos either ??

I understand not liking the film and thinking it is completely overrated ... But to me, part of the appeal is the unrealistic and over-the-top aspect of it, Pacino's performance in particular ..

Three years earlier when he did "Cruising", Pacino was in the middle of a similar controversy as the film was set in the world of underground leather bars ... And while it is obvious that not all gay men live that lifestyle, the film was constantly delayed by on location protests and has since been written off by William Friedkin and Pacino ..

I understand your point, but I just don't agree

Not my fav by any means......but it is a fun watch. i don't care what anybody says.

yea you get too analytical and critical about this one.....of course it's no masterpiece of film.

but i have fun whenever i watch it. so it's ok by me.

Mick

I'm in NJ, which has the third highest Cuban American population in the USA .... And considering I'm in NJ, am I not supposed to enjoy The Sopranos either ??

I understand not liking the film and thinking it is completely overrated ... But to me, part of the appeal is the unrealistic and over-the-top aspect of it, Pacino's performance in particular ..

Three years earlier when he did "Cruising", Pacino was in the middle of a similar controversy as the film was set in the world of underground leather bars ... And while it is obvious that not all gay men live that lifestyle, the film was constantly delayed by on location protests and has since been written off by William Friedkin and Pacino ..

Not sure where you're coming from with this post. His Cuban accent is so terrible it makes it hard to enjoy the movie for me since I understand how the accent sounds. I don't know anything about New Jersey or gay leather bars so that's up to you if you don't find them realistically portrayed based on your experience with these things in real life.

When did "goat" go from meaning "fool, bumbler, screw-up, at fault" to meaning the opposite?

It's an acronym Greatest Of All Time. GOAT

I know that. I just think it's dumb. Both the acronym and the concept.

When did "goat" go from meaning "fool, bumbler, screw-up, at fault" to meaning the opposite?

You worded your question like you were ignorant of that fact.

You worded your question like you were ignorant of that fact.

No, if I'd been ignorant of that fact, I would have used the word "how" instead of the word "when." :P :LOL:

Not my fav by any means......but it is a fun watch. i don't care what anybody says.

yea you get too analytical and critical about this one.....of course it's no masterpiece of film.

but i have fun whenever i watch it. so it's ok by me.

Mick

I remember being numb walking out of the theater after seeing it on original release. The violence was astounding for its day.

Not sure where you're coming from with this post. His Cuban accent is so terrible it makes it hard to enjoy the movie for me since I understand how the accent sounds. I don't know anything about New Jersey or gay leather bars so that's up to you if you don't find them realistically portrayed based on your experience with these things in real life.

The fact that you wear "understanding what a Cuban accent sounds like" like a badge actually makes you come across pretty sheltered ..

My point is that a movie doesn't have to been politically correct or have a thread of accuracy in it for me to enjoy it