Top 10 Highest Grossing Films of 1977 vs each other

JohnnyBlaze

Top 10 Highest Grossing Films of 1977  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Of those you've seen, which of these is your favorite?

• Star Wars
    • Smokey and the Bandit
    • Close Encounters of the Third Kind
    • The Goodbye Girl
    • Saturday Night Fever!
    • Oh, God!
    • A Bridge Too Far
    • The Deep
    • The Spy Who Loved Me
    • Annie Hall
  2. 2. Which ones would you give a grade of "A-" or better?

• Star Wars
    • Smokey and the Bandit
    • Close Encounters of the Third Kind
    • The Goodbye Girl
    • Saturday Night Fever!
    • Oh, God!
    • A Bridge Too Far
    • The Deep
    • The Spy Who Loved Me
    • Annie Hall

http://media.timeout.com/images/101619395/630/472/image.jpg

1977 was a great year not only in music but also in film.

So let's take a look at some of those movies.

Which ones have you seen a billion times?

Anything you haven't seen?

Vote.

Discuss.

http://cdn1us.denofgeek.com/sites/denofgeekus/files/2017/05/saturday-night-fever-1.jpg

[fyi: The movies are in order from #1 highest earning to #10]

• Like 1

I gave six of them an A- or better, including Smokey, Star Wars, Goodbye Girl, Close Encounters, Oh God, and Annie Hall.

The Deep gets the award for best use of a wet t-shirt.

• Like 2

I gave six of them an A- or better, including Smokey, Star Wars, Goodbye Girl, Close Encounters, Oh God, and Annie Hall.

The Deep gets the award for best use of a wet t-shirt.

Thinking of an early 30s Jacqueline Bisset soaking in water makes my heart pound and my pants...um...uh...yeah, she was attractive in that. Good movie.

Going with Annie Hall for my top pick. Just classic Woody Allen dialogue. Probably my personal favorite of his.

Those I gave an "A-" or higher:

Star Wars, Smokey & The Bandit, Close Encounters, Oh, God!, and Annie Hall.

As just a 5 year kid then I remember watching Star Wars and The Spy Who Loved Me in the cinema. Great memories.

I haven't seen Goodbye Girl or Bridge Too Far.

• Like 1

Can't stand woody Allen went with Star Wars as the fave.

CE3K is second and a bridge too far third.

Yeah, I understand that Woody definitely isn't for everyone.

3 of my brothers have asked shockingly, "You like Woody Allen?!!?!"

My other 2 bros have said sarcastically, "You WOULD like Woody Allen!"

:LOL:

• Like 2

Deciding between Annie Hall and Close Encounters is impossible

I'm going to have to watch both again, but for now, I'm giving the nod to Close Encounters ... As much as I love Woody Allen, and as classic as Annie Hall is, Close Encounters is a one of a kind film for me ... and Annie Hall isn't my favorite film from Woody ..

Saturday Night Fever gets a A for the soundtrack alone, but it is a classic film too

Those three get the A

I've never seen Goodbye Girl or A bridge Too Far

And I've still never seen Star Wars all the way thru

Edited by Lucas

Not to bring up another ongoing thread here, but Star Wars is the most overrated movie of all time. As in, more people rate it higher than any other title. Sure the critics and film snobs and other classic movie lovers might rate Citizen Kane (or something else) as the greatest movie, but how many people is that in the world, 1000? The number of people in the world fawning over SW must number in the millions. Yes SW is very good, yes I've seen it a number of times including when it first came out, and yes there's a soft spot in my heart for it. The effects and storytelling are great, but each viewing diminishes the impact of how much I loved it when I was a kid. The nostalgia of my memory gets replaced with the reality of how I see it now. I don't think I should watch it again anytime soon. Close Encounters on the other just gets better. Annie Hall and The Goodbye Girl are the only other top notch movies on the list. Edited by Rushian King
  • Like 1

Some other ok+/interesting titles from '77: The Man Who Loved Women (Truffault), Desperate Living (Waters), The Duellsts (Scott), Slap Shot, Padre Padrone, A Special Day, Why Shoot The Teacher?, Soldier Of Orange, Capricorn One, The American Friend (Hopper is the original 'Talented Mr. Ripley), Eraserhead, Cross Of Iron, Damnation Alley, Suspiria, The Hills Have Eyes, The White Buffalo, 21 Up.
  • Like 1

Yes SW is very good, yes I've seen it a number of times including when it first came out, and yes there's a soft spot in my heart for it. The effects and storytelling are great, but each viewing diminishes the impact of how much I loved it when I was a kid. The nostalgia of my memory gets replaced with the reality of how I see it now. I don't think I should watch it again anytime soon. Close Encounters on the other just gets better.

I feel just the opposite. Close Encounters is a good movie to demonstrates cinematic storytelling, but the problem with it is that there isn't much of a story. And I find the whole crazy Richard Dreyfuss sequence unbelievable and uninteresting. But the abduction of the boy is masterfully done as is the mailbox scene. SW has a solid story and the characters are interesting. What makes SW great is that it sort of redefined an entire genre.

The Spy Who Loved Me

And then:

The Spy Who Loved me

The Deep

A Bridge Too Far

I LOVED the Spy Who Loved Me! I saw it at a dome theater that everyone called "The Dolly Parton" because it had two auditoriums. The Spy Who Loved Me was playing in one dome at the same time Star Wars was playing in the other.

Not to bring up another ongoing thread here, but Star Wars is the most overrated movie of all time. As in, more people rate it higher than any other title. Sure the critics and film snobs and other classic movie lovers might rate Citizen Kane (or something else) as the greatest movie, but how many people is that in the world, 1000? The number of people in the world fawning over SW must number in the millions. Yes SW is very good, yes I've seen it a number of times including when it first came out, and yes there's a soft spot in my heart for it. The effects and storytelling are great, but each viewing diminishes the impact of how much I loved it when I was a kid. The nostalgia of my memory gets replaced with the reality of how I see it now. I don't think I should watch it again anytime soon. Close Encounters on the other just gets better. Annie Hall and The Goodbye Girl are the only other top notch movies on the list.

Maybe. This thread is on,y about movies from that year. I would never vote Star Wars the best movie of all time.

• Like 1

Not to bring up another ongoing thread here, but Star Wars is the most overrated movie of all time. As in, more people rate it higher than any other title. Sure the critics and film snobs and other classic movie lovers might rate Citizen Kane (or something else) as the greatest movie, but how many people is that in the world, 1000? The number of people in the world fawning over SW must number in the millions. Yes SW is very good, yes I've seen it a number of times including when it first came out, and yes there's a soft spot in my heart for it. The effects and storytelling are great, but each viewing diminishes the impact of how much I loved it when I was a kid. The nostalgia of my memory gets replaced with the reality of how I see it now. I don't think I should watch it again anytime soon. Close Encounters on the other just gets better. Annie Hall and The Goodbye Girl are the only other top notch movies on the list.

Maybe. This thread is on,y about movies from that year. I would never vote Star Wars the best movie of all time.

Right. Not half of the voters here chose Star Wars and this is only 10 movies from 1977.

I'd give Star Wars an A- but it wouldn't come close to my Best Movie of All Time. It's not even my Best Star Wars movie.

William Friedkin's "Sorcerer" bombed at the box office, but I'd put it right near the top of my 1977 list

And "Suspiria" would be my favorite of 1977

Damn good year

Edited by Lucas

I think the first three are the best. Star Wars and Close Encounters of the Third Kind are my favorites.

Star Wars and CE are easy for me I'm a sci-fi geek. Saturday Night Fever is the NYC of my childhood, a time machine with a sound track I loved as a kid, hated as teen, fell back in love with as an adult. Travolta knows how to eat a couple of slices!