ZZ Top: The Thread...and Poll - Are you a fan of this band?

treeduck

Are you a fan of ZZ Top?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a fan of ZZ Top?

• Yes I am, always have been
    • No not my thing really
    • I used to be but when they went all MTV I checked out
    • I only got into them after Eliminator and I kind of lost track of them but got back into them again
    • I like the guitar playing but no much else, there isn't much else
    • The drummer started phoning it in around 1985 that's when I lost interest.
    • I tried to grow a beard like Billy Gibbons once, I ended up with a gut hairball and fleas
    • Never heard of them
    • I just haven't listened to them
    • They're my favourite band
    • I wasn't but now I'm interested
    • I always hated them
  2. 2. Do you think of ZZ Top as blues, rock, blues-rock, hard rock or something else? Choose more than one if you think it applies.

• Blues
    • Rock
    • Hard Rock
    • Heavy Metal
    • Blues/Rock
    • Lounge Music
    • Vegas Rock
    • Jazz
    • Southern Rock
    • Texas Bluebird
    • Houston Scene
    • Death Metal
    • Big Beard Rock
    • Old Man Rock
    • Dad Metal
    • Guitar Rock
    • Ugly KISS
    • Hat and Shades Metal
    • Dance Music
    • Punk
  3. 3. In which of these guitar tiers would you put Billy Gibbons?

• Jimi Hendrix/Eric Clapton/Jeff Beck
    • Ritchie Blackmore/Brian May/Jimmy Page
    • Angus Young/Perry&Whitford/Ted Nugent
    • Steve Vai/Joe Satriani/Yngwie Malmsteen
    • Johnny Winter/Peter Green/Rory Gallagher
    • Eric Johnson/Steve Morse/Scott Henderson
    • Joe Bonamassa/Jeff Healey/Tab Benoit
    • Stevie Ray Vaughan/Robert Cray/Buddy Guy
    • Robin Trower/Leslie West/Steve Miller
    • Tommy Bolin/Paul Kossoff/Pat Travers
    • Ronnie Montrose/Ace Frehley/Peter Frampton
    • John Lee Hooker/Albert Collins/Albert King/BB King
    • Tipton & Downing/Tony Iommi/Tony Bourge
    • Michael Schenker/Gary Moore/Alex Lifeson
    • Edward Van Halen/Randy Rhoads/Matthias Jabs
    • Paul Gilbert/Nuno Bettencourt/Ritchie Kotzen
    • Jason Becker/Marty Friedman/Greg Howe
    • Steve Howe/Steve Hackett/Martin Barre
    • Pete Townsend/George Harrison/Keith Richards
    • Vivian Campbell/John Sykes/Jake E Lee

I like them, and I really like Billy Gibbons .. To my ear, he was one of the biggest influences on Eddie Van Halen, both in terms of riffs and soloing with that swinging ****

I did my best with the poll choices ... I think ZZ Top is bar band ( nothing wrong with that ), and I got into them after they hit big .... I actually started listening after I got into The Georgia Satellites and SRV around 1986 or so ..

I wouldn't go crazy and say Billy Gibbons is in the class of Hendrix ( I wouldn't say that about Clapton or Beck either ) but he's good ..

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 2

I just watched a Eric Clapton Crossroads guitar festival. Right up there with Robert Cray etc. were ZZ Top playing wonderful Texas blues. They made Eliminator more MTV friendly but their roots are blues
  • Like 4

I like them and can listen to them but I don't seek them out to listen to if that makes sense.

You love those beards though don't you!

Only on my dog. :LOL:

I like them and can listen to them but I don't seek them out to listen to if that makes sense.

http://www.dogsinduds.com/pictures/dogsjan16b.png

• Like 1

http://www.dogsinduds.com/pictures/dogsjan16b.png

What the heck IS that? :LOL:

Even tho I have seen ZZ-Top live, I would not call my self a fan. They have done a few good songs in the mid 80s, but that is it. Tho, I have to admit, I like their dance moves. :P
  • Like 1

All their best work was pre MTV but I'm glad they had that big success. Always been a big fan since my older brother exposed me to it before I even knew what was going on. Love their humor.
  • Like 3

Bought there first few albums when they were first released. I lost interest with their music after that.

GREAT music up to and including Fandango!

I've always been a fan, I would consider them Hard Rock and Blues Rock, and I don't know how to rank Gibbons.
  • Like 1

Lot of great tunes - Blue Jean Blues, Just Got Paid, Under Pressure, Cheap Sunglasses . . .

But what's the deal with "My Francine just turned thirteen"? Still get creeped out by that "little girl" kind of blues lyric . . . "good morning little school girl" . . .

• Like 2

Lot of great tunes - Blue Jean Blues, Just Got Paid, Under Pressure, Cheap Sunglasses . . .

But what's the deal with "My Francine just turned thirteen"? Still get creeped out by that "little girl" kind of blues lyric . . . "good morning little school girl" . . .

Maybe the writer was speaking about when he was 14?

• Like 1

Not really a fan of them. I only have Fandango and Tres Hombres and haven't listened to ZZ Top over the last decade. Last thing I recall is a DVD, I saw back in 2006 or 2007 maybe, and that show was really lame, at least what I can remember from it. As for the band, I would categorize them as Blues/Rock, but they're listed in the Southern Rock folder on my computer.

Billy G. :huh: I think I will vote for Tipton/Downing, Tony Iommi, Tony Bourge. :smoke: :LOL: :haz:

• Like 1

One of the greats.

If life was a ZZ Top song, I'd never need a box of chocolates.

• Like 3

Not really a fan of them. I only have Fandango and Tres Hombres and haven't listened to ZZ Top over the last decade. Last thing I recall is a DVD, I saw back in 2006 or 2007 maybe, and that show was really lame, at least what I can remember from it. As for the band, I would categorize them as Blues/Rock, but they're listed in the Southern Rock folder on my computer.

Billy G. :huh: I think I will vote for Tipton/Downing, Tony Iommi, Tony Bourge. :smoke: :LOL: :haz:

This is the best ZZ Top DVD.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-FDZ8QpOJtzs/TlqzhsfnXgI/AAAAAAAAADc/lbjCyC-eQXc/s1600/ZZ%2BTop%2B-%2BDouble%2BDown%2BLive%2B1980-2008%2BDVD%2BCOVER.jpg

• Like 6

This is the best ZZ Top DVD.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-FDZ8QpOJtzs/TlqzhsfnXgI/AAAAAAAAADc/lbjCyC-eQXc/s1600/ZZ%2BTop%2B-%2BDouble%2BDown%2BLive%2B1980-2008%2BDVD%2BCOVER.jpg

This is a good DVD/Blu Ray too:

http://images3.static-bluray.com/movies/covers/105652_front.jpg

Here's a couple of songs from it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbZi_rrSNcY

• Like 1