List Underrated/Underappreciated Movies

JohnnyBlaze

Let's go in the opposite direction of the Overrated Movies thread.

List good or great movies that don't get the praise you think they deserve.

Here's my first:

http://assets.hulu.com/shows/key_art_fear_and_loathing_in_las_vegas.jpg

More later.

I expect Lucas to go wild in here. :LOL:

• Like 6

Thunderbolt and Lightfoot

I re-watched this movie several years ago and found it absurdly funny and entertaining. At times it's just odd.

http://worldcinemaparadise.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Thunder-1.jpg

Had never seen this before. Good pair of Clint & Jeff. Nice support by Kennedy & Lewis.

The Fly II, the sequel to Cronenberg's The Fly. It's admittedly a b-movie, but it's a great b-movie IMO. Good cast, great creature effects, boy/dog side story. Love it.

The original The In-Laws with Peter Falk and Alan Arkin. My appreciation for this comedy gem only grows over the years.

This was a favorite of mine when I was young, oddly enough. Been a big Alan Atkin fan since.

• Like 1

Trying to balance underrated / underappreciated with obscure but worthwhile ..

The first one that comes to mind is Al Pacino / William Friedkin's "Cruising"

Both Friedkin and Pacino have disowned it, most likely because of the backlash, which is unfortunate because it is a great film

250px-Cruisingposter.jpg

The original The In-Laws with Peter Falk and Alan Arkin. My appreciation for this comedy gem only grows over the years.

As I like Falk & especially Arkin, I should check it out.

It's awesome! Just a great comedy. :D You'll find out the meaning of "Serpentine! Serpentine!" which my husband still likes to yell at odd moments . .

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 2

Brazil. Terry G's masterpiece. Having two endings may indicate this films difficult nature, for some audiences. These aspects, shouldn't diminish this powerful masterpiece's wider appeal, as I see it.

Withnail and I. The Rush, of films, being a cult classic. Beautiful English language and dialogue, yet in a midly contemporary setting. Hilarious as it is tragic. Its strong cultural bondings, may be its undoing, for wider appeal. Tis a beautiful film.

Edited by condemned2bfree
  • Like 4

Brazil. Terry G's masterpiece. Having two endings may indicate this films difficult nature, for some audiences. These aspects, shouldn't diminish this powerful masterpiece's wider appeal, as I see it.

This is my favorite movie, so of course I agree. :LOL:

• Like 2

Tropic Thunder

That movie was a huge hit and received very well from what I remember. Not sure in what circles it's considered underrated.

Politically correct circles. It was ravaged by certain type critics and moviegoers. As I remember, even on this forum.

Edited by ReRushed

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a5/Ghost_Dog_film_poster.jpg

:clap:

I was just coming in here to type that one!

It's funny because I hadn't thought about that movie in a while, but over the weekend me and my cousin were watching Rogue One and talking about how cool Forest Whitaker is in general and how underrated Ghost Dog is. I like most of Jim Jarmusch's films too...Down by Law and Mystery Train fit the thread too.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a5/Ghost_Dog_film_poster.jpg

:clap:

I was just coming in here to type that one!

It's funny because I hadn't thought about that movie in a while, but over the weekend me and my cousin were watching Rogue One and talking about how cool Forest Whitaker is in general and how underrated Ghost Dog is. I like most of Jim Jarmusch's films too...Down by Law and Mystery Train fit the thread too.

The only others by Jarmusch that I've seen are Night on Earth and Dead Man.

I was just kind of bored with Dead Man. Saw that just last year.

Night on Earth I saw maybe 20-25 years ago and don't really remember anything about it.