Dudes and Dragons

Saw the description of this movie on TV the other night. I was like "meh". But absolutely nothing else was on that I wanted to watch, so gave it a try.

Turned out this is a very funny movie -- an excellent spoof of the whole "Dungeons and Dragons" or "Swords and Sorcery" genre.

• Like 1

I tried playing D&D once back then (mid/late '80s) with my girlfriend and her brother. They became frustrated because I wouldn't go in a cave. Me: "But there's a giant spider in there so I'd rather not." Them: "But there's treasure in there and you want the treasure!" "No, not really, I'm not that into treasure." "Well it's raining outside and you need to get out of the rain!" "Well, I can deal with rain, it's really no big deal, but fighting a giant spider for no good reason except that I'm wet does seem like kind of a big deal, and kind of stupid." So I went past the cave and that was the last they asked me to play D&D. And I loved Tolkien too, just wasn't into the swords and sorcery part of it I guess. And if I was going to play a game I was going to play NFL Strategy. Now that was a game. My friend and I kept season-long stats, analyzed tendencies, etc. He actually went on to coach a team in Europe and publish a football magazine there. I didn't, but I remember the game fondly. not D&D but NFL Strategy.
  • Like 2

So basically making fun of my total adolescence?

The movie doesn't so much laugh at the genre, but laughs along with it.

Really light hearted, fun movie

Dude, I was a major D&D nerd back in the day myself, including DMing my own campaigns for our group of players.

Edited by Dread Pirate Robert
  • Like 5

I tried playing D&D once back then (mid/late '80s) with my girlfriend and her brother. They became frustrated because I wouldn't go in a cave. Me: "But there's a giant spider in there so I'd rather not." Them: "But there's treasure in there and you want the treasure!" "No, not really, I'm not that into treasure." "Well it's raining outside and you need to get out of the rain!" "Well, I can deal with rain, it's really no big deal, but fighting a giant spider for no good reason except that I'm wet does seem like kind of a big deal, and kind of stupid." So I went past the cave and that was the last they asked me to play D&D.

Did you even have a DM? Doesn't sound like it, from your description.

A DM? Was that one of those things Marv Albert was in to? Whips, chains, leather and all that? That would have made things more interesting no doubt but I suspect not as it all seemed rather directionless. Edited by Rutlefan

A DM? Was that one of those things Marv Albert was in to? Whips, chains, leather and all that? That would have made things more interesting no doubt but I suspect not as it all seemed rather directionless.

Dungeon Master.

Nevermind.

My question is answered ;)

• Like 1

Dude, I was a major D&D nerd back in the day myself, including DMing my own campaigns for our group of players.

I always pegged you to be a dungeon master.

• Like 1

I always pegged you to be a dungeon master.

Yep.

And I whipped my players into shape. None of this stuff that was posted above about not wanting to enter the friggin cave because icky spiders and it is just raining outside. Just wait till that rain turns more and more into increasingly large hailstones, and then see who wants to stay outside instead of entering the cave ;)

• Like 1

it all seemed rather directionless.

A competent DM is an essential part of the game.

You were apparently trying to play without a DM at all. Of course it seemed directionless.

The players control their own character, and nothing else. The DM controls the entire rest of the world, all the other people in the world, all the animals, the weather, the history of that region (according to whatever campaign the DM is running), all the monsters, etc. The DM sets the world stage for the player characters to exist in and interact with, according to their own personality, talents, and goals in that world. It is not real Dungeons and Dragons without a DM.

• Like 2

You were apparently trying to play without a DM at all. Of course it seemed directionless.

The players control their own character, and nothing else. The DM controls the entire rest of the world, all the other people in the world, all the animals, the weather, the history of that region (according to whatever campaign the DM is running), all the monsters, etc. The DM sets the world stage for the player characters to exist in and interact with, according to their own personality, talents, and goals in that world. It is not real Dungeons and Dragons without a DM.

That's what I always read. The game is only as good as the Dungeon Master.
  • Like 2

This is correct. I played it a handful of times with 3 different dungeon masters. Of course, the players are part of the fun but it makes a big difference who's DM.

I can't even imagine how you'd play without a DM.

I used to design my own D&D type games and stories with very simplified dice rolling (only six sided dice were used) and restrictions on this and that. For those games I was DM (of course).

• Like 2

This is correct. I played it a handful of times with 3 different dungeon masters. Of course, the players are part of the fun but it makes a big difference who's DM.

I used to design my own D&D type games and stories with very simplified dice rolling (only six sided dice were used) and restrictions on this and that. For those games I was DM (of course).

I always felt completely free as DM to disregard whatever "official" rules I wanted to disregard, in favor of what I thought would make a better story for the players. Or, if I thought a certain rule was just dumb, I made up my own house rule to replace it. Or, if a player wanted to make up a custom character class that was not in the official rules, i was flexible about that, etc. As Gygax (the original founder of D&D of course) is on record as stating , , , the rules were just meant to be loose guidelines anyway, to be freely disregarded if a particular DM and players wanted to do that. That is one thing I really liked about the original D and D: its flexibiility as a game.

• Like 1

I always felt completely free as DM to disregard whatever "official" rules I wanted to disregard, in favor of what I thought would make a better story for the players. Or, if I thought a certain rule was just dumb, I made up my own house rule to replace it. Or, if a player wanted to make up a custom character class that was not in the official rules, i was flexible about that, etc. As Gygax (the original founder of D&D of course) is on record as stating , , , the rules were just meant to be loose guidelines anyway, to be freely disregarded if a particular DM and players wanted to do that. That is one thing I really liked about the original D and D: its flexibiility as a game.

One of the DMs I played under was kind of a tight ass with rules which made playing not so much fun. You couldn't do this or you couldn't do that based on your character or the physical environment.

Another was so loose that it was easy to see that he was making everything up as he went along (in the negative sense). Still, he was better than the first.

The 3rd DM was right on. A good balance of flexibility while keeping organized.

• Like 1

If D&D alignments were real I think I'd be closest to Neutral Good. Not sure.

I know these 3 things though:

1) treeduck would be Neutral.

2) RUSHHEAD666 would be Chaotic Neutral.

3) Zumbi would be Chaotic Evil.

:LOL:

I know this post might only make sense to DPR.

If it doesn't make sense then you can use this as a guide:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alignment_(Dungeons_&_Dragons)#Chaotic_evil

• Like 1

I tried playing D&D once back then (mid/late '80s) with my girlfriend and her brother. They became frustrated because I wouldn't go in a cave. Me: "But there's a giant spider in there so I'd rather not." Them: "But there's treasure in there and you want the treasure!" "No, not really, I'm not that into treasure." "Well it's raining outside and you need to get out of the rain!" "Well, I can deal with rain, it's really no big deal, but fighting a giant spider for no good reason except that I'm wet does seem like kind of a big deal, and kind of stupid." So I went past the cave and that was the last they asked me to play D&D. And I loved Tolkien too, just wasn't into the swords and sorcery part of it I guess. And if I was going to play a game I was going to play NFL Strategy. Now that was a game. My friend and I kept season-long stats, analyzed tendencies, etc. He actually went on to coach a team in Europe and publish a football magazine there. I didn't, but I remember the game fondly. not D&D but NFL Strategy.

I played a few times, but generally bowed out when the other players actually rested when their characters were tires, or mock payed when their cleric was healing someone. Just a bit too weird.

That's pretty funny. :LOL:
  • Like 1

:cheers:

Whaddya think? Are any of those accurate?

Where do you think you'd fall on the D&D Alignment thang?

:cheers:

Whaddya think? Are any of those accurate?

Where do you think you'd fall on the D&D Alignment thang?

As a player, I always preferred either Chaotic Good or Chaotic Neutral characters.