Happy 10th anniversary Snakes & Arrows! :D

Entre_Perpetuo

Happy!  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Happy!

10th anniversary this week! Great Rush album? Good Rush album? Lackluster Rush album? Roll The Bones? Whatever you see it as, it's ten years old today, so happy birthday/anniversary to this most middling of Rush albums!
  • Like 1

The original TRF S&A thread debut from ten years ago should be dug up. It IS after all the first new Rush album this board has seen.

I remember the slobber dripping from some TRFers' ears when they thought they were getting Hemispheres part 2.

• Like 4

I love most of this album. Never cared too much for Bravest Face though.

Far Cry, Armor And Sword, Angels, Monkey Business, Spindrift and Wind Blows are all great. Larger Bowl and Good News First are very overlooked.

• Like 2

10th anniversary this week! Great Rush album? Good Rush album? Lackluster Rush album? Roll The Bones? Whatever you see it as, it's ten years old today, so happy birthday/anniversary to this most middling of Rush albums!

I tend to rank Snakes and Arrows pretty low. It is probably the only Rush album that I do not like at least 75% of the songs. I don't even like 50% of the songs. After the high of VT, I was expecting more. It just does not engage. The songs sound forced. The best moments are Far Cry, The Main Monkey Business, We Hold On, and Workin' Them Angels. Beyond that it has yet to grow on me.

Edited by Wil1972

I enjoy listening to Snakes more than thinking aboot it. I rank the modern era albums VT, SA, CA lower than most but higher that Caress of Steel. Yet when I really listen to them I find much enjoyment.

I like it better than any album going back to, at least, Grace Under Pressure. I like Clockwork Angels a little more than Snakes. I think all three albums released in the 21st century blow doors on the PoW - T4E run of, at best, mediocrity.

Hard to believe it's been that long! I remember really having high expectations for this album It was miles better than Vapor Trails song and production-wise.
  • Like 1

I remember going to Best Buy on a beautiful sunny May day of release to grab my copy. This album still sounds fresh to me and I think it's undervalued. Stellar production between 2 headache inducers...

Great tour of course!

• Like 2

The songs sound forced

I agree.

I love the sound of the album, and Geddy's voice still sound pretty good.

But, although I like some parts of some songs, overall songs do sound forced.

I was expecting something better after Vapor Trails tbh.

• Like 1

I was just getting back into Rush after not listening to them for quite a long time (late eighties lost me at the time) and Snakes was newly released so I bought it as a download. I rarely do that anymore, I prefer physical copies now, it was a phase for me, but I digress. Anyway, I listened to it obsessively for several months and still like it a lot. It's not my favorite Rush album but there are several high points for me; Far Cry, Malignant Narcissism, Working Them Angels, Hold On, Main Monkey Business, Hope (love this one) and Spindrift (yes, you read that right, sue me).
  • Like 3

I was just getting back into Rush after not listening to them for quite a long time (late eighties lost me at the time) and Snakes was newly released so I bought it as a download. I rarely do that anymore, I prefer physical copies now, it was a phase for me, but I digress. Anyway, I listened to it obsessively for several months and still like it a lot. It's not my favorite Rush album but there are several high points for me; Far Cry, Malignant Narcissism, Working Them Angels, Hold On, Main Monkey Business, Hope (love this one) and Spindrift (yes, you read that right, sue me).

I've never come around to liking Spindrift that much, but I'm with you on those other songs. I'll always prefer physical media as well.

• Like 1

I had a very similar experience. I bowed out with PoW and didn't really come back for a long, long time.

• Like 1

I had a very similar experience. I bowed out with PoW and didn't really come back for a long, long time.

I still struggle to like PoW. It's like eating vegetables. I want to like it because it's Rush but it just doesn't grab me much. I know many really love this album and rank it as one of their best. :huh:

• Like 1

I still struggle to like PoW. It's like eating vegetables. I want to like it because it's Rush but it just doesn't grab me much. I know many really love this album and rank it as one of their best. :huh:

Same. I can appreciate all their albums. And I can find something I like on each one. But I just don't find myself needing to hear it more than once a year.

• Like 1

Good record, but not great.

The songs that have aged the best for me are Armor and Sword, Workin' Them Angels, The Larger Bowl and Bravest Face.

Far Cry is still far too bland overall (the despite the awesome first 10 seconds).