Happy 10th anniversary Snakes & Arrows! :D

Entre_Perpetuo

Happy!  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Happy!

I respect those of you that really like it, we all have different ideas of what makes for good music. So as much as I dump on S&A its not meant as a slight on my fellow Rush fans.

That all being said, its a chore to get through to and it shouldn't feel like work to listen to an album by anyone, not just Rush

You see, that it exactly how I feel about Side A of Hemispheres, Everything except Lakeside Park & Bastille Day on Caress Of Steel, Side A of Rush (1st album) and the two 10+ minute songs on A Farewell To Kings. They are all such a slog to get through and so much work to keep listening. I have to really force myself not to fast-forward through all of that stuff. Those over 10 minute long songs with all the starts and stops and weird fade-ins are way to trying for me to bother with. Music should be fun and engaging and I feel none of that with those songs. I just feel worn out.

Snakes & Arrows is nothing like that for me. It is intense and inspiring from beginning to end and touches on so many things that I feel all the time.

It is everything I want from music, not just RUSH.

Edited by diatribein

I was just getting back into Rush after not listening to them for quite a long time (late eighties lost me at the time) and Snakes was newly released so I bought it as a download. I rarely do that anymore, I prefer physical copies now, it was a phase for me, but I digress. Anyway, I listened to it obsessively for several months and still like it a lot. It's not my favorite Rush album but there are several high points for me; Far Cry, Malignant Narcissism, Working Them Angels, Hold On, Main Monkey Business, Hope (love this one) and Spindrift (yes, you read that right, sue me).

I had a very similar experience. I bowed out with PoW and didn't really come back for a long, long time.

+1 After leaving them at PoW I started taking them seriously again when I heard S&A. When I started sampling post-GUP Rush, it was the first thing that hooked me immediately. Still mostly love it (there's a few tracks I tend to skip). Some of the tracks, like Far Cry and TMMB, I consider Rush classics, up there with the best of the Brown era. Maybe my favorite album for Alex's work. Geddy sounds great too.

I respect those of you that really like it, we all have different ideas of what makes for good music. So as much as I dump on S&A its not meant as a slight on my fellow Rush fans.

That all being said, its a chore to get through to and it shouldn't feel like work to listen to an album by anyone, not just Rush

You see, that it exactly how I feel about Side A of Hemispheres, Everything except Lakeside Park & Bastille Day on Caress Of Steel, Side A of Rush (1st album) and the two 10+ minute songs on A Farewell To Kings. They are all such a slog to get through and so much work to keep listening. I have to really force myself not to fast-forward through all of that stuff. Those over 10 minute long songs with all the starts and stops and weird fade-ins are way to trying for me to bother with. Music should be fun and engaging and I feel none of that with those songs. I just feel worn out.

Snakes & Arrows is nothing like that for me. It is intense and inspiring from beginning to end and touches on so many things that I feel all the time.

It is everything I want from music, not just RUSH.

That '70s stuff is just wired to my DNA, but it's a necessary rung on a ladder to more rewarding music - a foundation (For Rush anyway). To me it doesn't matter if it's fun, engaging, a challenge or all of the above. Your mileage may vary. As much as I like that stuff, I find that most of the music that came after it more relevant to me. I enjoy nearly all of it for different reasons.