The Official R.E.M. Thread

Not sure if one of these threads already exists but even if there is one, it's likely time for a new one!

I grew up with R.E.M. But as with a lot of things, over time I left them behind and started enjoying more music, most of it far away from this style.

But lately I've been listening to them constantly, and not only do I still love these albums, I appreciate them even more than before because I can hear just how special they are.

Murmur, Reckoning and Monster are my current favourite albums. I noticed in the last week, as I have moved house, that I do not own a single one of their albums except for Automatic For The People.

I've changed that. I've bought the bands first ten albums (the ones I grew up with).

So, what are your thoughts on this band? Any favourite songs? Any reasons why you might strongly feel the opposite to how I feel about them?

• Like 7

R.E.M. is one of my all-time favorite bands. Back in my high school days they were IT. They were MY band. They were an amazingly consistent band that I would put up, song for song and album for album, against any other band. After Bill Berry left they weren't the same, but in every post-Berry album there are gems to enjoy.

Michael Stipes voice is sublime. I think the man may have perfect pitch. Wonderfully obtuse lyrics back by great melodies. And Mike Mills is the secret weapon of all secret weapons. He's so underrated as a musician. And his back-up vocals perfectly complemented Stipe.

R.E.M. has meant as much to me as Rush and the Beatles.

Favorite album - Murmur with Automatic for the People a close second.

Favorite song - "Fall on Me" or "Nightswimming" or "Pilgrimage".

• Like 9

Funny you should post this...

A couple days ago, driving home from work, my phone shuffled up "The Great Beyond" and I was blown away all over again by these guys.

I have dug R.E.M. ever since hearing So. Central Rain and Radio Free Europe back in the early 80s. Tons of great songs. When I was in college, Green/Out Of Time/Automatic were the big albums, and even though they were everywhere, I never got tired of them.

Even though I've followed most of their career and like/love all their records, I never got a chance to see them live, dammit. !!!

Favorites.. oh man.. probably Life's Rich Pageant and Automatic, but I love the first 2, Green, and (more recently) Up as well.

Favorite songs:

Find the River - absolutely sublime and perfect

These Days - a shot of optimism. sometimes much needed

World Leader Pretend - great lyrics and great soaring bridge

I Believe - another shot of optimism, and realism (Practice makes perfect/perfect is a fault/and fault lines change)

Fall On Me - probably the first R.E.M. song I truly fell in love with.

Others:

The Great Beyond

Sweetness Follows

Sitting Still

Half a World Away

Finest Worksong

Begin The Begin

TONS more.

Edited by Mystic Slipperman
  • Like 4

Ha! My favourite song by them is The Great Beyond! It helped me when I had a major breakdown. I found the strange lyrical imagery matched my fuzzy mind as the meds I was taking at the time left me with a very foggy mind, and it gave me a real boost any time I played it. Plus I just love to sing along to it.
  • Like 1

Ha! My favourite song by them is The Great Beyond! It helped me when I had a major breakdown. I found the strange lyrical imagery matched my fuzzy mind as the meds I was taking at the time left me with a very foggy mind, and it gave me a real boost any time I played it. Plus I just love to sing along to it.

I wouldn't argue against anyone about "The Great Beyond" being R.E.M.'s best song.

• Like 2

BTW... you guys probably already know this, but in case you don't.... their final 2 albums are GREAT. (Accelerate and Collapse Into Now). Even without Berry (who is obviously missed), Stipe/Buck/Mills really find their mojo on these 2 records again.
  • Like 2

I wouldn't argue against anyone about "The Great Beyond" being R.E.M.'s best song.

Neither would I, to be honest. The imagery in the lyrics and the way they mesh with the music is so powerful.

• Like 1

R.E.M. is one of my all-time favorite bands. Back in my high school days they were IT. They were MY band. They were an amazingly consistent band that I would put up, song for song and album for album, against any other band. After Bill Berry left they weren't the same, but in every post-Berry album there are gems to enjoy.

Michael Stipes voice is sublime. I think the man may have perfect pitch. Wonderfully obtuse lyrics back by great melodies. And Mike Mills is the secret weapon of all secret weapons. He's so underrated as a musician. And his back-up vocals perfectly complemented Stipe.

You know, many will scoff at this but to my ears, R.E.M. are the American Beatles. Not the sound...the soul and spirit and sense of wonder the music brings.

R.E.M. mean as much to me as Jimmy Eat World and The Juliana Theory, and another favourite band of mine, Idlewild, blend R.E.M. influences with British folk and punk (and later on Americana). So many of my favourite bands I can tell were influenced by this great band.

• Like 2

BTW... you guys probably already know this, but in case you don't.... their final 2 albums are GREAT. (Accelerate and Collapse Into Now). Even without Berry (who is obviously missed), Stipe/Buck/Mills really find their mojo on these 2 records again.

They are good albums. Accelerate was the shot of adrenaline they needed. An example of brevity being best.

• Like 3

The last five albums are available in a box set. I might just get that (but I'm a sucker for album art so...i might just get them individually).

• Like 1

You know, many will scoff at this but to my ears, R.E.M. are the American Beatles. Not the sound...the soul and spirit and sense of wonder the music brings.

R.E.M. mean as much to me as Jimmy Eat World and The Juliana Theory, and another favourite band of mine, Idlewild, blend R.E.M. influences with British folk and punk (and later on Americana). So many of my favourite bands I can tell were influenced by this great band.

They just might be the greatest American band.

They came out at the perfect time in my life. I remember anticipating each album's release. Waiting on line for concert tickets. They never disappointed me and they always lifted me up. They didn't come across like Rock stars. They were just four guys making the music they made.

• Like 4

They came out at the perfect time in my life. I remember anticipating each album's release. Waiting on line for concert tickets. They never disappointed me and they always lifted me up. They didn't come across like Rock stars. They were just four guys making the music they made.

And you know what else? Murmur to this day still sounds like a record that could have been released NEXT week.

Played it non-stop. People often talk about music they love as "timeless" when in actual fact you out the record on and immediately you can guess the era in which it came out.

But Murmur is timeless. It sounds otherworldly and completely of it's own origin. Nothing before or even after sounds like it (even though it does sound like REM and they always did).

I just love them. I remember when Fleet Foxes came out the first time, I guessed they'd be this era's answer to REM but sadly they appear to only have lasted two classic albums and one stellar EP.

• Like 3

I REALLY wish I'd seen them live. I do not have a good excuse. :(

I don't want to rub it in, but they were great, especially before they started playing arenas. Each set list seemed to be off the cuff, whatever they were in the mood to play.

• Like 2

I don't want to rub it in, but they were great, especially before they started playing arenas. Each set list seemed to be off the cuff, whatever they were in the mood to play.

Any good live albums to try?

• Like 1

And you know what else? Murmur to this day still sounds like a record that could have been released NEXT week.

Played it non-stop. People often talk about music they love as "timeless" when in actual fact you out the record on and immediately you can guess the era in which it came out.

But Murmur is timeless. It sounds otherworldly and completely of it's own origin. Nothing before or even after sounds like it (even though it does sound like REM and they always did).

I just love them. I remember when Fleet Foxes came out the first time, I guessed they'd be this era's answer to REM but sadly they appear to only have lasted two classic albums and one stellar EP.

I think Murmur is a perfectly paced and sequenced album, especially on vinyl.

• Like 1

Honestly, I don't listen to live albums that much. And I don't think it would do them justice.

• Like 2

Since I made that "Clockwork Angels vs Collapse Into Now" thread, which probably wasn't the greatest thread idea ever as Angels was always going to give it a kicking, I've been obsessed with them. I like something from pretty much all of their albums, and I can't even say that about Rush. It just hits my musical sweet spot, the harmonies, the jangly, arpeggiated guitar play playing, the bass, and in particular Stipe's unbelievable voice, it all just fits.

As for favourite songs, goodness. Waay too many. I'll name a few that pop into my head. So. Central Rain, Don't Go Back to Rockville, Gardening at Night, It's The End Of The World As We Know It, Near Wild Heaven, Endgame, Country Feedback, pretty much everything from Automatic...some of the newer stuff, Living Well Is The Best Revenge, Sing For The Submarine, All The Best, Uberlin, Every Day is Yours to Win.....etc!

• Like 3

Good news - FLEET FOXES have a new album coming out soon. I love them too.. those 2 records/1 EP are magnificent. And I bet that R.E.M. was an influence (in addition to all the 60s artists that Robin has mentioned).

• Like 1

Since I made that "Clockwork Angels vs Collapse Into Now" thread, which probably wasn't the greatest thread idea ever as Angels was always going to give it a kicking, I've been obsessed with them. I like something from pretty much all of their albums, and I can't even say that about Rush. It just hits my musical sweet spot, the harmonies, the jangly, arpeggiated guitar play playing, the bass, and in particular Stipe's unbelievable voice, it all just fits.

As for favourite songs, goodness. Waay too many. I'll name a few that pop into my head. So. Central Rain, Don't Go Back to Rockville, Gardening at Night, It's The End Of The World As We Know It, Near Wild Heaven, Endgame, Country Feedback, pretty much everything from Automatic...some of the newer stuff, Living Well Is The Best Revenge, Sing For The Submarine, All The Best, Uberlin, Every Day is Yours to Win.....etc!

Your thread inspired me to get back to them, as well as my recent musical interests (Pixies, My Bloody Valentine, Nirvana).

• Like 3

Honestly, I don't listen to live albums that much. And I don't think it would do them justice.

I really like the "39 SONGS: LIVE AT THE OLYMPIA" which came out around the time of Accelerate....and the live Greensboro NC concert that comes with the deluxe "GREEN".

EDIT: and the Unplugged set! I had a bootleg of that for years until it was finally officially released.

Edited by Mystic Slipperman
  • Like 1

Good news - FLEET FOXES have a new album coming out soon. I love them too.. those 2 records/1 EP are magnificent. And I bet that R.E.M. was an influence (in addition to all the 60s artists that Robin has mentioned).

SERIOUSLY?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

• Like 1

Truth. I thought it would never happen, but there's already a first song out there on YouTube.. I can't remember its name now, but YES ! New Fleet Foxes!! :) :)

16 June 2017, entitled Crack-Up.

• Like 2