Two Underrated Guitarists: Paul Masvidal vs Vito Bratta

fraroc

I enjoy the guitar playing from both of these guys, however I'm gonna give Vito a slight edge because of how much of an expressive lead player he was. If you hear the solo on the Wait and When The Children Cry, you'll realize that he was more than just another 80s shredder and he knew how to put together a great melodic solo.

Paul Masvidal is a pretty expressive and melodic player as well and I do hear a little bit of Vito Bratta in his playing, as best seen in this vid.

Edited by fraroc
  • Like 2

I only know Masvidal from Aeon Spoke, who were really good ...

But I gotta hand it to you fraroc - somehow connecting Paul Masvidal with Vito Bratta :LOL:

Vito is recognized, as he should be, however, his "underrated" status is pretty much self imposed as he willingly vanished from the music world ... From what I know, he hasn't even picked up a guitar in decades

But I gotta hand it to you fraroc - somehow connecting Paul Masvidal with Vito Bratta :LOL:

Vito is recognized, as he should be, however, his "underrated" status is pretty much self imposed as he willingly vanished from the music world ... From what I know, he hasn't even picked up a guitar in decades

From what I've heard, in the late 90s and early 2000s, he had a wrist injury and it's a little painful for him to play electric guitar and standard steel string acousitics, however he can play classical guitars comfortably as the necks are wider.

Im sure he can hook himself up with a good luthier to build a wide necked electric guitar...But it seems like he just wants to live the normal life.

From what I've heard, in the late 90s and early 2000s, he had a wrist injury and it's a little painful for him to play electric guitar and standard steel string acousitics, however he can play classical guitars comfortably as the necks are wider.

Im sure he can hook himself up with a good luthier to build a wide necked electric guitar...But it seems like he just wants to live the normal life.

That doesn't make sense to me. Slim neck electrics are much easier to play than a wide classical style guitar. From listening to Eddie trunk who has spoken with him he simply has no interest in pursuing a career in music or the lifestyle that entails. Who can blame him? Unless you're in a huge very successful band that life is very hard.

Masvidal was in the band Cynic with fellow Aeon Spoke member Sean Reinert, and both of whom played on the Death album Human.

Great album.