Fly by Night VS some albums of 1975?

Texas King

Fly by Night VS some albums of 1975?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Your fave album out of this bunch?

• Rush - Fly by Night
    • Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti
    • Queen - A Night at the Opera
    • Bruce Springsteen - Born to Run
    • Aerosmith - Toys in the Attic
    • David Bowie - Young Americans
    • Alice Cooper - Welcome to My Nightmare
    • UFO - Force It
    • Rainbow - Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow
    • Black Sabbath - Sabotage

There are at least two on this list I would take over FBN. Physical Graffiti being number one...
  • Like 2

A Night At The Opera is...

the greatest album

with the greatest song

by the greatest band

with the greatest singer

and some of the absolute greatest musicians

of all time ever.

• Like 1

From this list:

1. Queen - A Night At the Opera

2. Alice Cooper - Welcome To My Nightmare

3. Aerosmith - Toys in The Attic

4. RUSH - Fly By Night

5. David Bowie - Young Americans

And the strangest thing is that Fly By Night is my favourite of the first 3 RUSH albums by far!

• Like 1

Some heavyweights on that list

Toys In The Attic, Force It and Fly B y Night would al cross the finish line in a dead heat

about 10 strides behind Dressed To Kill

Who did Dressed To Kill?... :)
  • Like 1

These three...

220px-Rush_Caress_of_Steel.jpg

220px-AustralianHighVoltage_ACDC.jpg

220px-ACDC-TNT.jpg

I listened to Caress of Steel and FBN earlier today. FBN is a much, much better album.

Did you feel the same way after the crack you smoked wore off?

These three...

220px-ACDC-TNT.jpg

I listened to Caress of Steel and FBN earlier today. FBN is a much, much better album.

I can't answer that the way you've asked it. But I can't remember ever thinking Caress of Steel is better than FBN. Or most of the band's pre or post synth era discography. It's certainly the worst album released before P/G. It's not better than any of the 21st century albums. I can't decide where it falls inside the PoW-T4E run of mediocrity.

These three...

220px-ACDC-TNT.jpg

I can't answer that the way you've asked it. But I can't remember ever thinking Caress of Steel is better than FBN. Or most of the band's pre or post synth era discography. It's certainly the worst album released before P/G. It's not better than any of the 21st century albums. I can't decide where it falls inside the PoW-T4E run of mediocrity.

Ahh...so the Crack hasn't worn off.

I know that the album is traditionally great, but CoS remains my favorite Rush album. And, to answer the obvious follow-up question: no, the pot hasn't worn off.

Not to my ears or for my tastes. I find COS far superior in tone and execution on comparable material*. I find FBN to be an evolution between the debut and COS that doesn't achieve the heights of either.

*Bastille Day > Anthem

*Necromancer > By-Tor

*Lighter moments of Lamneth > > > > Rivendell

*Heavier moments of Lamneth > Beneath, Between, Behind

*Lakeside > Making Memories

I think the only FBN track that really stands out as superior to either the debut is the title track, which is really well-crafted radio rock.

Edited by goose

Not to my ears or for my tastes. I find COS far superior in tone and execution on comparable material*. I find FBN to be an evolution between the debut and COS that doesn't achieve the heights of either.

*Bastille Day > Anthem

*Necromancer > By-Tor

*Lighter moments of Lamneth > > > > Rivendell

*Heavier moments of Lamneth > Beneath, Between, Behind

*Lakeside > Making Memories

I think the only FBN track that really stands out as superior to either the debut is the title track, which is really well-crafted radio rock.

Caress of Steel has no songs that are on par with Anthem, the title track or Beneath, Between, Behind. The Necromancer is, frankly, not good. Lamneth is only slightly better. Lakeside Park is forgettable. So you're talking Bastille Day (good, not great) and I Think I'm Going Bald. That's not going to get it done. It doesn't.

These three...

220px-ACDC-TNT.jpg

Ahh...so the Crack hasn't worn off.

I know that the album is traditionally great, but CoS remains my favorite Rush album. And, to answer the obvious follow-up question: no, the pot hasn't worn off.

I knew it hadn't. But I'd talk to your dealer. He's obviously lacing it with a hallucinogen.