Worst idea for a song that somehow works...?

goose

So, reading the P/G album-rating thread made me think of the song Body Electric as a song that somehow works even though it's based on a really bad idea: a runaway robot.

What are RUSH'S top dork tracks?

Edited by goose
  • Like 2

A really bad idea? OK I'm out of this thread. :P I think it's one of their most clever lyrics even though he ripped the idea off from the sci-fi story. Edited by EagleMoon
  • Like 1

A really bad idea? OK I'm out of this thread. :P I think it's one of their most clever lyrics even though he ripped the idea off from the sci-fi story.

A great idea for a sci-fi novel, but a bad idea for a rock song. Cars, chicks, rocking hard, and runaway robots. Which doesn't seem to fit?

:LOL:

• Like 1

A really bad idea? OK I'm out of this thread. :P I think it's one of their most clever lyrics even though he ripped the idea off from the sci-fi story.

A great idea for a sci-fi novel, but a bad idea for a rock song. Cars, chicks, rocking hard, and runaway robots. Which doesn't seem to fit?

Exactly. Different is good, otherwise all we'd be listening to is AC/DC.

• Like 4

A bad idea for a rock song, maybe. A bad idea for a PROG rock song, definitely not.

• Like 2

How about flying a spaceship into a black hole to find Greek gods on the other end. Very dumb idea unless you're a Rush fan.. also By-tor, Half the world..

How about the reverse, a bad song that came from a good idea? Tai Shan anyone?

• Like 1

I think I'm Going Bald -- a 20-something wrote those lyrics, mind you.

Its even stranger coming from a 20-something!

• Like 2

By-Tor and the Snow Dog...super geeky sci-fi fantasy.
  • Like 4

Rivendell -- Beautiful song about...the land of elves.

You Bet Your Life -- Dorky lyrical approach offset by good guitar work and catchy vocal melodies.

YBYL could've sounded so much better with a beefier guitar/bass/drum tone. Like if they recorded it during Counterparts instead of RTB. :rage:

Parts of it sound like Alex forgot to turn his amp on

Edited by jnoble

Limelight

You'll listen, you'll enjoy, you'll buy, but outside that, you don't exist

;)

'Where people had paid to see inside,

For entertainment they watch his body twist

Behind his eyes he says, 'I still exist.'

Edited by condemned2bfree

especially since it was based on a fight between a dog and an owl.

• Like 1

A bad idea for a rock song, maybe. A bad idea for a PROG rock song, definitely not.

PROG rock, aka MATH rock, aka NERD rock. It's awesome stuff, but it won't get you the girl.

Unless you're that one guy I know...

• Like 1

Dog Years

Nothing bad about lamenting the too-fast passage of time, but the puns? Only a dork would find them witty. ( :blush: )

Rock puns should be limited to politics, genitalia or drug use.

• Like 1

"Good evening, everybody! Here's a song based loosely on Dungeons and Dragons!"

:haz: :guitar: :syrinx: :guitar: :haz:

• Like 1

PROG rock, aka MATH rock, aka NERD rock. It's awesome stuff, but it won't get you the girl.

Unless you're that one guy I know...

If the girl is worth having, it will.

• Like 1

I'll throw Manhattan Project into this bunch. A weird topic for a rock song. Most rock bands would pick out a battle (Maiden's approach) or the effect of war (Floyd, Metallica, et al), but the development of the A-bomb is strange stuff. Coincidentally, (or maybe not, considering the prog connection), the boys from YES released their own atomic bomb song on the Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman, Howe album:

I think I'm Going Bald -- a 20-something wrote those lyrics, mind you.

As someone who started going bald at age 20, I take offense.

Mostly to the fact that I was going bald, though.