I am sick and tired of people hating on James LaBrie's voice.

fraroc

STOP CARING SO MUCH ABOUT WHAT OTHERS THINK. AS LONG AS YOU LIKE WHAT YOU HEAR IS ALL THAT MATTERS.

Factually incorrect. In an industry that is heavily motivated by sales and critique, that self conceited viewpoint just doens't hold water. The truth of the matter is that the opinion of the masses is far more important to the continued success of and demand for the product being supported, than is any indvidual perspective; and as such, proselytizing and advocating its quality is logical and pertinent.

That having been said, Dream Theater has enjoyed a relatively successful career; and despite the protestation of some loud mouthed critics, Labrie's voice is often considered elite by their prog metal peers. He's certainly had his ups and downs, but the critics are the exception, not the rule.

• Like 1

I thought part of the appeal of being a fan of a band like Dream Theater is that a lot of people don't like them for whatever reason.

John Petrucci supporting our Ass In Chief is more of a reason to dislike Dream Theater than James's voice lol

Edited by fraroc
  • Like 1

I thought part of the appeal of being a fan of a band like Dream Theater is that a lot of people don't like them for whatever reason.

John Petrucci supporting our Ass In Chief is more of a reason to dislike Dream Theater than James's voice lol

He supports you?

Glad someone does.

• Like 2

He supports you?

Glad someone does.

:LOL:

I've always had an un-easy opinion of James' voice. Technically, he can be quite amazing; though as others pointed out, inconsistent. Hey, he's singing some very challenging stuff too. I saw them on I&W tour and SFaM, both excellent. Later on 6DoiT, ToT - not so much (didn't care for these discs as much either...) aDToE - he was fairly solid (but I missed Portnoy's influence). I purposely skipped the last tour because I did not like the disc at all.

But what has always annoyed me, and this is just my own taste I suppose, but the way the vocal lines are delivered, the phrasing, etc. just give me the feeling of him fronting a cheesy hair metal band (White Lion?) This just always felt inconsistent to me, with DT playing some cool extended prog-metal compositions. Maybe I was hoping for a metallicized version of YES, but got a progged-up version of "Firehouse" or "Trixter"

Also, I just cannot stand the ultra-syrupy balad vibrato..... blech! or when he tries to get a grungy-tough voice bwah, ha ha. I often see where his voice could compliment the music in a way that I'd like, but he so rarely gets that

• Like 3

Ah, the modern cardinal sin of disagreeing over politics- as if everyone needs to march lockstep to be worthy of respect.

Edited by KenJennings
  • Like 2

The ironic thing about this thread is I wouldn't have posted my opinion on him if he hadn't made the thread. I'm surprised to see how much love he's getting actually. I find him terrible and I actually like venom.

He supports you?

Glad someone does.

Petrucci supporting fraroc is more than enough reason for me to rescind any liking towards DT. ;)

Human broken record is human broken record.

Edited by PolarizeMe
  • Like 1

He supports you?

Glad someone does.

Petrucci supporting fraroc is more than enough reason for me to rescind any liking towards DT. ;)

PREACH BROTHER!

I've always had an un-easy opinion of James' voice. Technically, he can be quite amazing; though as others pointed out, inconsistent. Hey, he's singing some very challenging stuff too. I saw them on I&W tour and SFaM, both excellent. Later on 6DoiT, ToT - not so much (didn't care for these discs as much either...) aDToE - he was fairly solid (but I missed Portnoy's influence). I purposely skipped the last tour because I did not like the disc at all.

But what has always annoyed me, and this is just my own taste I suppose, but the way the vocal lines are delivered, the phrasing, etc. just give me the feeling of him fronting a cheesy hair metal band (White Lion?) This just always felt inconsistent to me, with DT playing some cool extended prog-metal compositions. Maybe I was hoping for a metallicized version of YES, but got a progged-up version of "Firehouse" or "Trixter"

Also, I just cannot stand the ultra-syrupy balad vibrato..... blech! or when he tries to get a grungy-tough voice bwah, ha ha. I often see where his voice could compliment the music in a way that I'd like, but he so rarely gets that

Great post.

To me he is obsolete. Music changed but he did not.

The ironic thing about this thread is I wouldn't have posted my opinion on him if he hadn't made the thread. I'm surprised to see how much love he's getting actually. I find him terrible and I actually like venom.

hey, I'm wearing my venom shirt. cronos should replace labrie.

• Like 1

Just replace DT with Venom. At least they don't sound clinical.

• Like 1

He supports you?

Glad someone does.

If that's really what you think, then fine. I'm done trying to please everybody.

I'm going to stand up for what I believe in and I don't care if I stand alone.

He supports you?

Glad someone does.

If that's really what you think, then fine. I'm done trying to please everybody.

There's more like/love and/or respect for LaBrie in this thread than hatred.

• Like 1

Canada has so much great singers, but LaBrie isn't one of them. Sometimes he reminds me of Michael Bublé, that's too much.

I saw them five or six times on the Images and Words tour and he was almost always a let-down, even back then. I was brave enough to follow their music through the nineties and I was even braver, to see some of their mid- and late-nineties shows. :scared:

Glad I pulled the release cord right in time and never looked back. :hail: :smoke:

He supports you?

Glad someone does.

When did you try to please everybody? I thought the whole point of threads like these was that were already standing up for what you believed even though you thought you stood alone.

• Like 2

Hell's breaking loose. Witching hour

Until they make an album that sells more than 6 copies. Then they'll have gone "commercial" and "sold out" and "made a pop album."

• Like 1

Sick and tired of people hating on...

Accept that other people have opinions and stop letting it bother you. Are your musical likes and dislikes so fragile that what other random people have to say topple your world? Get some backbone, boy. Like what you like and stop worrying.

• Like 5

I love James' voice but live it isn't good half of the time.

Luckily when I saw them for The Astonishing tour he sounded REALLY great.

In the studio he's always great.

That being said his live voice even when off is still light years ahead of poor Geddy (but in 10 more years, who knows?)

--

It wouldn't be DT without James though. I don't want another singer for this band.

So what is it with you?

You like DT on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays and hate them the others? XD

• Like 1