I am sick and tired of people hating on James LaBrie's voice.

fraroc

Here, I thought that he was one of the greatest singers in metal, only to find out that I'm pretty much the only one who shares that opinion. Even other Dream Theater fans give him shit for his voice. He isn't a bad singer for christ's sake. Granted he might not have the "ballsy-ness" of most metal vocalists, but you can't listen to Dream Theater's music and deny that the guy has a hell of a vocal range.

Here, I thought that he was one of the greatest singers in metal, only to find out that I'm pretty much the only one who shares that opinion. Even other Dream Theater fans give him shit for his voice. He isn't a bad singer for christ's sake. Granted he might not have the "ballsy-ness" of most metal vocalists, but you can't listen to Dream Theater's music and deny that the guy has a hell of a vocal range.

I'd say it's better than Geddy's, but that's not really a compliment.

I'd say it's better than Geddy's, but that's not really a compliment.

Ged gets some shit for his voice, but not to the extent that James does.

As we always try to tell you fraroc but for some reason you don't get it ever. So, this will be the last time I say this to you...

STOP CARING SO MUCH ABOUT WHAT OTHERS THINK. AS LONG AS YOU LIKE WHAT YOU HEAR IS ALL THAT MATTERS.

I think Labrie has a great voice. I've heard the criticism about it for years and it doesn't matter one single bit to me because I like it. Screw the haters.

• Like 2

He's one of the worst singers I've ever heard in a band that is actually successful and the reason I don't listen to them. How they hired him or allowed him to stay is baffling.
  • Like 2

He's one of the worst singers I've ever heard in a band that is actually successful and the reason I don't listen to them. How they hired him or allowed him to stay is baffling.

So, not a fan then?

:)

http://cdn.wallpapersafari.com/88/51/xIQwjT.jpg

baby: Dawson, why are there so many people ripping on James La Brie?!!!

Dawson: I don't know baby. I love him soooooo much too!!!

http://images.vice.com/vice/images/articles/meta/2012/12/15/cry-baby-of-the-year-1413326671482.jpeg?crop=1xw:0.75xh;center,center&resize=1050:*

• Like 5

I think he's got a pretty voice but it's definitely not without its shortcomings. It can definitely be annoying at times. Again, mostly the vocal tone. And the fact that he isn't very charismatic as a frontman.

This isn't really meant to be hating or bashing--but there's an observation worth mentioning that lots of DT fans simply put up with James LaBrie whereas other vocalists with weirder vocal tones (Geddy and The Mars Volta's singer come to mind) tend to get shit from non-fans but are typically well-loved within their own community. Any further criticism isn't just baseless bashing.

Ultimately just keep listening to what you like and disregard the haters, you know? It's not like LaBrie's going to personally care. He's in a popular band that makes money regardless of the opinion on his voice.

Edited by Day of Light
  • Like 4

Geddy has always gotten crap in the media about his voice. James LaBrie is just a drop in the bucket compared to him. That being said, I think the biggest criticism is that James singing really doesn't fit the band. Not that he's a bad singer, because he's not.
  • Like 3

Butt hurt again over other people's opinions.

Good for you you love his voice! You are like the many that do!

I don't.

I won't be losing sleep over it though.

• Like 3

He's great in the studio, but has his difficulties live. His best tours were Images & Words, A Dramatic Turn of Events, Octavarium and Along for the Ride (2013/2014). Aside from those, he's very inconsistent live, and it's getting worse at an incredible rate as the years go by.
  • Like 1

Yes, I saw them on Saturday night and he goes from a near-tenor to a drunk shouting at his shadow in the space of a note. Still, love me Jimmy The Cheese! His onstage banter is still THE WORST. But, if it wasn't it wouldn't be right.

Great show, BTW.

• Like 1

In his defense, I think what he needs is proper rest between shows, and that's hard to get with a busy touring schedule as Dream Theater's. Also, he should try to restrain himself a little bit on stage, but that's difficult too. A friend of mine is a hard rock singer, and he says that once you're on stage and see people's faces light up as you hit high notes, it's hard to hold back. He's an integral part of this band though, and I could never imagine DT without him.
  • Like 1

He's great in the studio, but has his difficulties live. His best tours were Images & Words, A Dramatic Turn of Events, Octavarium and Along for the Ride (2013/2014). Aside from those, he's very inconsistent live, and it's getting worse at an incredible rate as the years go by.

Agreed. He is always great in the studio, but live is often a struggle. He tries to do too much at times and that results in some moments that are like, "really?" But listen to the studio version of Take the Time and tell me he wasn't a beast in his prime.

• Like 2

His onstage banter is still THE WORST

I'll never forget "thank you for making this evening especially special"...

How 'bout those incredibly cartoonish "Oscar" speeches he made 'bout Jordan and Petrucci after their solos on Live at Luna Park?
  • Like 1