Another Wave of ESPN layoffs about to happen

Dr. Jerry Punch gets canned but Mark May gets to keep his job??

HE'S A FRIGGIN' DOCTOR FOR CHRIST'S SAKE

• Like 2

Ed Werder, Danny Kannel, Jayson Stark, , Jay Crawford, among 1st firing wave today -

Also entire Hockey staff of John Buccigross, Pierre LeBrun, Scott Burnside and Joe McDonald

Barry Melrose status TBD

What exactly is ESPN trying to do?

I mean are they looking to close up shop? Just do it already.

ESPN for a long time has spent money like the federal government. There is plenty of fat to trim.

This could have an intriguing affect on cable companies, their customers, etc. If people abandon ESPN more and more, they could change or cancel their cable/satellite packages, and that could shake up the market. It could also shake up future TV deals with the NFL.

ESPN informed the 100 employees who work for ESPNU in Charlotte

We are closing ALL offices.

28 of you will be offered jobs in Connecticut, the rest of you can hit the bricks.

This means Marcus Spears, Paul Finebaum, Dari Nowkhah and others who cover SEC/ College sports

Great Quote:

I'm old enough to remember when MTV was about music and ESPN was about sports.

• Like 5

ESPN informed the 100 employees who work for ESPNU in Charlotte

We are closing ALL offices.

28 of you will be offered jobs in Connecticut, the rest of you can hit the bricks.

This means Marcus Spears, Paul Finebaum, Dari Nowkhah and others who cover SEC/ College sports

http://youtu.be/5bqA4mc5YaA

Dear Lord please put Stugotz and LeBatard in front of a firing squad. A real one....

No one's making you watch them . . . I avoid Colin Cowherd like the plague.

Oh, I don't. I tried for about a month and it was just awful. They're basically 2 local hacks that don't realize they're on a national show. The problem is the local hacks in Boston are even worse. Boston is currently the premier pro sports city in America, but 80+ years of New York inferiority complex is too deeply ingrained. They constantly obsess over what other reporters and radio guys are saying about them. Dan Patrick or Jim Rome aren't on any stations here, so my only option for that time slot (which is my prime time)is Boston Public Radio.

• Like 2

Dear Lord please put Stugotz and LeBatard in front of a firing squad. A real one....

Oh, I don't. I tried for about a month and it was just awful. They're basically 2 local hacks that don't realize they're on a national show. The problem is the local hacks in Boston are even worse. Boston is currently the premier pro sports city in America, but 80+ years of New York inferiority complex is too deeply ingrained. They constantly obsess over what other reporters and radio guys are saying about them. Dan Patrick or Jim Rome aren't on any stations here, so my only option for that time slot (which is my prime time)is Boston Public Radio.

What makes Boston the premier sports city in America exactly?

I said premier PRO sports city, which is based on the overall success of the 4 pro franchises. They've each won a title in the last 10 years or so. No other city with 4 (or more) can claim even close to that. Yet the last time I listened to the local schmucks, they were obsessed with something Mike Francesa said from New York City, as well as the ESPN commentators' comments about Boston. I blame the Yankees, and the fact that even though Brady may have 5 rings, he lost 2 more to Eli and the Giants.

Edited by edhunter

ESPN released Dr Jerry Punch;the greatest pit reporter in American racing history. They have been together since the beginning of time. I can't wait to see where he ends up. Fox and NBC would be fools to leave him off their coverage.

They released Allen Bestwick too... I expect him to end up replacing Adam Alexander in Fox Sports' NASCAR B-team. At least I hope so. Even if NBC signed him, he'd be a solid upgrade over Rick Allen.

Edited by KenJennings

I said premier PRO sports city, which is based on the overall success of the 4 pro franchises. They've each won a title in the last 10 years or so. No other city with 4 (or more) can claim even close to that. Yet the last time I listened to the local schmucks, they were obsessed with something Mike Francesa said from New York City, as well as the ESPN commentators' comments about Boston. I blame the Yankees, and the fact that even though Brady may have 5 rings, he lost 2 more to Eli and the Giants.

Basing it solely on championships is interesting. I think other places have a claim on fan experience and legacy like Seattle or the Bay Area.

That 6 o'clock show is pure trash. Who the hell watches those two idiots?

Other idiots. Putting these sorry dung balls on the air is proof ESPN cares nothing about sports or entertainment.
  • Like 1

I finally get where espn is going: they obviously can't afford to keep paying the rights fees for pro sports so they're going all in on personalities talking about sports...cranking up the tmz-ing of sports to 11. They can go to hell as far as I'm concerned and not that I take pleasure in the thought of the icons of what went wrong Jemele Hill (and her fücking Maserati) and Stephen Smith losing their jobs (ok I do just a little)...it wouldn't bother me one bit to see that whole ship sink.

The sports bubble is about to pop because no one is going to be able to pay the tv rights dollars the pro leagues are used to getting once the contracts are up for renewal.

• Like 2

I finally get where espn is going: they obviously can't afford to keep paying the rights fees for pro sports so they're going all in on personalities talking about sports...cranking up the tmz-ing of sports to 11. They can go to hell as far as I'm concerned and not that I take pleasure in the thought of the icons of what went wrong Jemele Hill (and her fücking Maserati) and Stephen Smith losing their jobs (ok I do just a little)...it wouldn't bother me one bit to see that whole ship sink.

The sports bubble is about to pop because no one is going to be able to pay the tv rights dollars the pro leagues are used to getting once the contracts are up for renewal.

This has been coming for a while. They're also getting people to provide the content free of charge when possible through tweets and other social media.

• Like 1

So, Mike and Mike is ending after this year? The only sports talk program that is entertaining on the network anymore. Wow...

Dan LeBatard Show with Stugotz...

Great Quote:

How about when the Weather Channel was actually about forecasting the weather? :eh:
  • Like 4

I stopped watching ESPN years ago. The only time I have watched it is for Monday Night Football. I don't know most of those names that are getting thrown out, with the exception of Stephen A Smith (cocky sob), and Dr. Punch. I got sick of their east coast bias about a decade ago. Comcast Sports Net Chicago is where I get my sports news now.

Someone mentioned the old days with Australian Rules Football. I think they even aired professional rodeos! ESPN was awesome back then. There was a lot of auto racing too.

I find it interesting how a network gets big (MTV, The Weather Channel, ESPN), and then they get away from doing what made them popular in the first place. It doesn't make any sense to me. Oh well, I couldn't give a rats ass if ESPN goes under. Someone else will pick up MNF, so it won't make any difference to me. :)

• Like 3

I find it interesting how a network gets big (MTV, The Weather Channel, ESPN), and then they get away from doing what made them popular in the first place. It doesn't make any sense to me.

When mainsteam media broadcasting corporations get a hold of you, it's like you're being assimilated by the Borg.

ESPN used to be good, but now it's the NYC/BOSTON/L.A./DALLAS Channel

• Like 2

Great Quote:

How about when the Weather Channel was actually about forecasting the weather? :eh:

Or at least Stephanie Abrams' rack?

• Like 2

I was at a sports style restaurant for lunch today and not once in the entire time i was there did they stop talking about Colin kaepernick. First time I've watched it in months. Easy to see why

So, Mike and Mike is ending after this year? The only sports talk program that is entertaining on the network anymore. Wow...

Dan LeBatard Show with Stugotz...

Oh barf. I'd rather listen to Sarah Spain, Kay Fagen and the other girl that have the Saturday show than those two nutsacks.

Mike and Mike ending is a shame. It's more of a shame the way it's ending. They're no longer speaking to each other off-air. Greenberg completely sandbagged Golic. Neither one will do as well on their own as they did together.