Is TRF among the longest running fan forums?

Xanadoood

Counterparts may have been a round sooner but I think it crashed once and everything was lost. I was a member of another rush forum before this and I'm drawing a blank on what it was called. I just remember it was run by a dictator named Rudy.
  • Like 1

I started on the My Favorite Headache site when that album was released. Not sure when it died but it did years ago.

Then, it was on to the Counterparts site for maybe 2-3 years. It was pretty different in 2001-2003 then the years that followed, tone/mood-wise anyway IMHO.

After that I had a little break. Finally, here.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze

I've been at CP since Ken Hoffman and Julie Mendelsohn started it in Feb. of 2000. Still keep up my membership, but I consider TRF as my No.1 site now. I believe the Total Crash was in the fall of '05, but another happened from some group of Russians in '07 or so. We were involved with the 'Board War' with Rudy Gutierez of Trinet, [The Rush Interactive Desktop somethingorother....It didn't survive. CP did. through two total crashes. It has been taken over by one of the members for the last seven or so years, and seems to be a little smaller, but still running well....

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j223/OldRUSHfan/Banana%20World/bananaParty.gif

Edited by OldRUSHfan
  • Like 1

I remember joining Trinet briefly many years ago, but got booted out in some ridiculous purge that the idiot who owned it implemented....I was a member of Counterparts since about '02 but never posted heavily there.

I've also been a member of TNMS, a British based Rush fanboard since '02, and used to take a more active role there, but barely post now.

• Like 2

I remember joining Trinet briefly many years ago, but got booted out in some ridiculous purge that the idiot who owned it implemented....I was a member of Counterparts since about '02 but never posted heavily there.

I've also been a member of TNMS, a British based Rush fanboard since '02, and used to take a more active role there, but barely post now.

I had a look for TNMS - all I could find was a load of writing on a white background, and something to do with archives.

• Like 1

I had a look for TNMS - all I could find was a load of writing on a white background, and something to do with archives.

Thats the national midnight star archive...I'm refering to the national midday sun.

• Like 1

Thats the national midnight star archive...I'm refering to the national midday sun.

Oh okay. Whoops, my bad.

• Like 1

I Joined TRF on March 26, 2005. At first I was in the camp that believed this place was for 'goody two-shoes', no swearing, etc. Now I appreciate that ENORMOUSLY. Counterparts is still a fine place, but some of the people on it are given literal carte blanche to act however they want to with no moderation. That stopped being doable for me. I LOVE TRF!!!

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j223/OldRUSHfan/Banana%20World/Psychdelic%20PBJTime%20Banana.gif

• Like 4

But that's such a nebulous and Gigantic subject. I'm supposing that is why most of us tended to reduce the subject to more 'handlable' dimensions. But I bow to your wishes for this Thread, since You began it! :notworthy:

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j223/OldRUSHfan/Banana%20World/Big%20Glasses%20banana.gif

I got to believe there is much older forum of old people discussing that over rated band from Liverpool.

I was just typing that...minus the "overrated" bit. Probably 20 or more years old.

I'd also include video game forums as being there from the very beginning. Those video game fans already leaned toward liking computers or playing games on computers anyway so it'd be natural for them to geek on about it with other geeks on a fan message board.

The first (and worst) fan forum that I joined was back in 2000. It was a "Frank Herbert's Dune" forum, run by the SciFi Network's website. It was created when the SciFi Channel produced the epic mini-series adaptation of the classic novel.

Let me tell ya......it was Troll City. No moderation at all; it was totally laissez-faire. The small minority of the members were great, but we were overwhelmed by all the trolls and a-holes. What I regret most was how I started trolling the trolls. I took on different monikers, just to harass the very trolls who had been harassing me and other good people.

I learned a very good lesson back then - never become what you hate. Never sink to their level. Be better than they are. :haz:

• Like 4

I started with Counterparts years ago, by not as far back as ORF. Went through the two crashes which wiped out everything, and while I visit their from time to time TRF is my main board for Rush and non-Rush postings. About the only other message board I post on is the Washington Post's.
  • Like 1

The first Usenet 'Forums' were begun in the late '70s. They grew into what we now know as Bulletin boards, such as TRF. I would bet that as far as Bands go, the Beatles, Elvis Presley, Rolling Stones, etc. are a BIT older than TRF, but RUSH was still in existence in the mid seventies, and as such, could have been represented as far back as that.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j223/OldRUSHfan/Banana%20World/Banana%20dance%20on%20computer.gif

• Like 1

There was a RUSH place back in the mid '90s called "A Show of FANS" creator was a guy named Steve something or other....I joined that place for a short while....until I found 'The Solar Federation' run by a guy called RESISTOR. Rudy Gutierez scared him out of the RUSH board business and RESISTOR started a SAGA board. That was around the time CP started...Both Ken H. and Julie M. had been members of RESISTOR's 'Solar Federation' board. That summer I also branched out to a different board, a Dream Theater board called YTSEJAM.com and from that, found out about Chat rooms on The Dividing Line.com.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j223/OldRUSHfan/Banana%20World/Banana%20dance%20on%20computer.gif

There was a RUSH place back in the mid '90s called "A Show of FANS" creator was a guy named Steve something or other....I joined that place for a short while....until I found 'The Solar Federation' run by a guy called RESISTOR. Rudy Gutierez scared him out of the RUSH board business and RESISTOR started a SAGA board. That was around the time CP started...Both Ken H. and Julie M. had been members of RESISTOR's 'Solar Federation' board. That summer I also branched out to a different board, a Dream Theater board called YTSEJAM.com and from that, found out about Chat rooms on The Dividing Line.com.

Good heavens - I never knew any of that. Thanks for posting. :)

• Like 1

The first Usenet 'Forums' were begun in the late '70s. They grew into what we now know as Bulletin boards, such as TRF. I would bet that as far as Bands go, the Beatles, Elvis Presley, Rolling Stones, etc. are a BIT older than TRF, but RUSH was still in existence in the mid seventies, and as such, could have been represented as far back as that.

I wouldn't be so sure. Seems to me that the type that would have been aware of that technology would have a large overlap with rush compared to some other bands.

• Like 1

I Joined TRF on March 26, 2005. At first I was in the camp that believed this place was for 'goody two-shoes', no swearing, etc. Now I appreciate that ENORMOUSLY. Counterparts is still a fine place, but some of the people on it are given literal carte blanche to act however they want to with no moderation. That stopped being doable for me. I LOVE TRF!!!

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j223/OldRUSHfan/Banana%20World/Psychdelic%20PBJTime%20Banana.gif

I'd rather read their swearing and abuse than see your stupid banana crap

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1