Le Studio Morin Heghts, Studio Morin Heights, Etc.

chain__lightning

I don't see RUSH fans lamenting over other studios the band has recorded at that don't exist anymore.

Studios such as McClear Pathe and Allaire (where RUSH also recorded at) don't get spoken of at all.

Exactly.

There's so many studios where great material was recorded by Rush and many other bands that aren't standing anymore or in bad shape. Don't understand this fascination some have with Le Studio. Yeah, it's location is cool and I guess it was a nice looking place at one time but at the end of the day it's just a studio. If the bands who recorded there don't want to do anything to restore it then I don't see why the fans should care. The bands who recorded there are the ones that have a real connection to the building not any of us.

For those wondering why one of the members of Rush doesn't buy the place, what do you expect them to do with it if they did? If they have no idea what to do with it then why should they bother? Not to mention they would be responsible for fixing up, maintaining and pay taxes on the property. Yes, they do have a lot of money but a bad financial decision is still a bad one even if you have plenty of money.

Great albums were recorded there but everything has it's time and unfortunately this studio's time has passed.

Kind of like Terry Brown's involvement with the band (save for the two 2112 live tracks he mixed last year.)

I am surprised Rush did not buy it and renovate it. They made so much history there. Other bands have recorded there, but Le Studio has always seemed like Rush's recording home.

I always kind of thought that too but it would be like buying your old high school and renovating it. I'm sure they have plenty of good memories but it's probably a part of their life they are happy to leave behind.

• Like 3

I am surprised Rush did not buy it and renovate it. They made so much history there. Other bands have recorded there, but Le Studio has always seemed like Rush's recording home.

I always kind of thought that too but it would be like buying your old high school and renovating it. I'm sure they have plenty of good memories but it's probably a part of their life they are happy to leave behind.

Sounds right. Rush have never been a band to live in or dwell upon the past. I do think it would have been a great thing for them to do and also something to leave behind, besides their music; as well as making this great studio updated and available for all bands (old and new) again.

• Like 3

I should also point out that it isn't just recording studios that are closing down.

It's also smaller music venues such as Hugh's Room in Toronto, which nearly closed down recently as well.

Even the Hard Rock Cafe in Toronto is closing down from this recent article here.

The Internet has been a game-changer for many things in relation to the arts and profitability isn't there as much anymore for the above.

• Like 1

I understand the desire for Rush fans to keep the Studio 'alive' in some respect. But the artists that recorded there likely just look at it as a place where they 'went to work'. I have no real special memories of any place I 'went to work' in the past as well (yes I know my work places are not as 'special' as Le Studio...but the analogy fits I think).

At a certain point, the people that currently own it will probably get tired or inpatient with paying taxes every year for a non-functional property and just sell it. Then the bulldozing will likely happen.

When you consider how many places recording artists have performed or recorded, they probably all look like a blur after many years.

Edited by HemiBeers
  • Like 1

I should also point out that it isn't just recording studios that are closing down.

It's also smaller music venues such as Hugh's Room in Toronto, which nearly closed down recently as well.

Even the Hard Rock Cafe in Toronto is closing down from this recent article here.

The Internet has been a game-changer for many things in relation to the arts and profitability isn't there as much anymore for the above.

Hard Rock Cafe's can burn in hell as far as I'm concerned. Overrated tourist traps.

Just leaving Le Studio now, I got pictures of everything EXCEPT the basement, really creepy down there. I'll put a link to my photo album once they're done uploading. The main studio is structurally sound and it looks better since last time I went, someone cleaned up a bit, I think it's got several years left. The rest however is very water damaged, and in my opinion will cave in with this next winters snow. Hope you guys will like the pics when they go up
  • Like 2

Just leaving Le Studio now, I got pictures of everything EXCEPT the basement, really creepy down there. I'll put a link to my photo album once they're done uploading. The main studio is structurally sound and it looks better since last time I went, someone cleaned up a bit, I think it's got several years left. The rest however is very water damaged, and in my opinion will cave in with this next winters snow. Hope you guys will like the pics when they go up

My goodness! :o Thank you for sharing with us! I had no idea it was in that condition. How in the world did that happen?

I just think about how much musical history was made there. Not just by Rush, but tons of artists and bands. It is really sad to see what is happening to some of these studios. Either by neglect as in Le Studio, or other ones such as Townhouse Studios in London. Still there, but not what it once was. At all!

Just unimaginable:

http://www.dailymail...townhouses.html

Edited by Earthshine

I wonder what ballpark timeframe those guys have for opening the new place. Looks like they still have a long way to go. Museum and/or recording school sounds like a neat way to use the place. I've wanted to go there mainly just to see the outdoors around the studio. All the descriptions I've read make it sound extremely peaceful and relaxing (either in the spring/summer time or with a nice blanket of snow on the ground).