Le Studio Morin Heghts, Studio Morin Heights, Etc.

chain__lightning

I went there in March this year, I'm sad to say it's gotten worse, it's become a hangout for druggies too I think. I found knives and ciggarets all over the place and someone even jumped through a window in the main studio, cutting themselves and leaving bloody footprints on the floor. I'm not kidding, someone started a fire in the main studio and burned pieces of the doors and walls for fuel, He could have easily burned the building down. I'll be going back sometime this month, any request of rooms/places in there you guys want pics of?

I hate hearing that. Get pictures of it all. Especially the main studio. Curious as to how bad the newer "video" studio looks now too.

Thanks for posting. I appreciate it. Welcome to TRF.

I think the place should be torn down since it's gotten in such bad shape. It's terrible seeing it like that.
  • Like 1

I think the place should be torn down since it's gotten in such bad shape. It's terrible seeing it like that.

That's what I thought too, until I actually went there. When I first stepped into the main studio, the reality of where I was hit me like a wall. I remember thinking "this is ground zero of some of the worlds greatest music!"

• Like 3

I found my picture of the studio from when I went there earlier this year! I don't know how to post images here because I'm a noob, so here's a link. https://ibb.co/mM1uwQ

(You can see the remnants of the fire on the bottom of the picture)

Thanks for the post and link. :yes:

Shitty to see it in such a sorry state.

And welcome to TRF anarchist2112!

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/files/2013/01/Rush1.jpg

:cheers:

I found my picture of the studio from when I went there earlier this year! I don't know how to post images here because I'm a noob, so here's a link. https://ibb.co/mM1uwQ

Thanks for posting. It is far worse shape than when I was there in June of 2015. It is so sad.

Very sad. It seems you need someone living there round-the-clock, or it gets vandalized. I have seen some very sad examples in other abandoned buildings in remote locations, at least in my area of Canada. I don't understand why some people feel the need to trash places. I agree with what some other posters have said - It should be torn down - if the musicians who've recorded there aren't interested in restoring it, let it go. It has served its purpose.
  • Like 1

It's even worse when people vandalize it and try to sell pieces of the place to make money. That's why I said I thought it should be demolished. So sad.
  • Like 1

Ok, some good news maybe. In case you did not know, le studio was part of a 233 acre property with plans for a spa in 2009 that did not work out. A friend of mine, whose been heavily researching the property told me that recently 230 of those acres were sold, leaving only the 3 acres that the studio sits on. Does the owner have plans for it? Why not sell it all? I don't know if this is 100% true or not so please correct me if I'm wrong, but if this is true then somethings happening. Also sorry if I created a negative vibe with that picture, and sorry if I'm posting too much :)

Ok, some good news maybe. In case you did not know, le studio was part of a 233 acre property with plans for a spa in 2009 that did not work out. A friend of mine, whose been heavily researching the property told me that recently 230 of those acres were sold, leaving only the 3 acres that the studio sits on. Does the owner have plans for it? Why not sell it all? I don't know if this is 100% true or not so please correct me if I'm wrong, but if this is true then somethings happening. Also sorry if I created a negative vibe with that picture, and sorry if I'm posting too much :)

Somethings happening? How do you get that?

My friend (really my dads friend) told us this. He's been digging for information/prices on it for a few months now and Has been telling us his findings. He also went through city records or something and found out that the owner waits until the last day of tax season to pay taxes on the property, that's how that whole "for sale for 18,000" thing came up, it happens every year, it just got noticed in 2015. I've looked hard and haven't found any info on the 230 acre sale, but then again I haven't been looking as much as he has. I'll ask him some time soon where and how he found out about this, take it with a grain of salt
  • Like 1

Thank you for posting the photo! It is sad to see, but it's good to know the actual condition. I'm glad you didn't run into the bleeding person while you were there!

No, you aren't posting too much. It's interesting to hear the possibilities of what might be going on. And you might find sale records after a little while. In Pennsylvania, it takes about 4 or 5 weeks, sometimes longer, after real estate sales, before the records are all updated to show the sale.

Welcome to TRF ! :hi:

I am surprised Rush did not buy it and renovate it. They made so much history there. Other bands have recorded there, but Le Studio has always seemed like Rush's recording home.

Surprised? They did make history there. But it's not like purchasing a used car that they'd work on and fix up. Also, they hadn't recorded an album there in over 20 years. An album or song by anyone hasn't been recorded there in 15 years now.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze
  • Like 1

I found this. I am torn about the situation. It drives me nuts seeing a slow dying death. Like it is suffering. Just kill it. At the same time, why no one has invested in it regardless of it's use is sad. There must be some way to profit from it musically related or not.

http://montrealgazette.com/entertainment/music/le-studio-legendary-morin-heights-recording-spot-in-ruins

• Like 1

I found this. I am torn about the situation. It drives me nuts seeing a slow dying death. Like it is suffering. Just kill it. At the same time, why no one has invested in it regardless of it's use is sad. There must be some way to profit from it musically related or not.

http://montrealgazette.com/entertainment/music/le-studio-legendary-morin-heights-recording-spot-in-ruins

Too bad it had to mention that nut job Richard Baxter.

• Like 1

Reading this,

I am surprised that Neil hasn't done some thing about. If he loves the area so much why not make some thing of it? Say, a place kids can go for summer camp ect. The foundation of the place must be in decent condition. Have it checked out and fix any problems that are discovered and go from there.The place itself could be remodeled hoping to leave some memories in place. Build some separate cabins for folks to rent and enjoy nature. Fishing, hiking, boating. Cross country skiing in winter. Photography all year round.

http://www.neilpeart...s/october-2014/

Edited by troutman

Reading this,

I am surprised that Neil hasn't done some thing about. If he loves the area so much why not make some thing of it? Say, a place kids can go for summer camp ect. The foundation of the place must be in decent condition. Have it checked out and fix any problems that are discovered and go from there.The place itself could be remodeled hoping to leave some memories in place. Build some separate cabins for folks to rent and enjoy nature. Fishing, hiking, boating. Cross country skiing in winter. Photography all year round.

http://www.neilpeart...s/october-2014/

Didn't he sell his house up there? Probably doesn't want anything to do with Canada anymore. :P

I don't see RUSH fans lamenting over other studios the band has recorded at that don't exist anymore.

Studios such as McClear Pathe and Allaire (where RUSH also recorded at) don't get spoken of at all.

I found an interesting piece here in relation to this topic.

Edited by RushFanForever
  • Like 3

I don't see RUSH fans lamenting over other studios the band has recorded at that don't exist anymore.

Studios such as McClear Pathe and Allaire (where RUSH also recorded at) don't get spoken of at all.

Exactly.

There's so many studios where great material was recorded by Rush and many other bands that aren't standing anymore or in bad shape. Don't understand this fascination some have with Le Studio. Yeah, it's location is cool and I guess it was a nice looking place at one time but at the end of the day it's just a studio. If the bands who recorded there don't want to do anything to restore it then I don't see why the fans should care. The bands who recorded there are the ones that have a real connection to the building not any of us.

For those wondering why one of the members of Rush doesn't buy the place, what do you expect them to do with it if they did? If they have no idea what to do with it then why should they bother? Not to mention they would be responsible for fixing up, maintaining and pay taxes on the property. Yes, they do have a lot of money but a bad financial decision is still a bad one even if you have plenty of money.

Great albums were recorded there but everything has it's time and unfortunately this studio's time has passed.

• Like 2

I found an interesting piece here in relation to this topic.

I really want to learn more about McClear, a handfull of good albums came outta there

great posts - Feeling sentimental so here it goes.... It is disgusting and im pissed to see the puposeful vandelism/destruction of one of the original lost gems of the music industry as it lied peacefully in the laurentian mountains after it served its pupose for some of the greatest music in our history.There may never be another ( due to always changing technoglogy )of its kind .LeStudio Morin Heights was and forever will be a mecca for Rush fans and will remain the pinnacle of how recording in a studio should be with its spectactular design, landscape , and (what was always during its operation) state of the art technology (SSL#2 )ahead of its time . The hero here is Andre Perry -If it wasnt for his dream building that studio on the lake -an enviromental retreat for musicians- of which musical ideas and recordings could only be generated in a special place in a snap shot of time - those lyrics,chords, songs , drum fills, electricy as a band , and its final product was due the ora and vibe during those sessions of Morin Heights. It simply propelled Rush ( and many other bands-Police ,Kim Mitchell, Bowie etc) to another level. As a die hard RUSH fan first - and a LeStudio junkie 2nd finaly getting to visit LeStudio before the destruction in Nov in 2014 .I belive WE would have never experienced the magic of PW,MP, (ESSL(lestudio mobile seperate but significant) Sig,GUP,Presto,RTB,CP and dont forget neil went there to work on VT after almost "packing it in" It was that soulscape in the mountains that created the vibe to create that music that LIKELY could have never been done anywhere else... As a kid- seeing the 3 Rush videos -the neon sign-the drums on lac perry in 83' was truely inspiring. After experiencing the place in a 1 day walk around and to feel the magic of that setting will always leave that LeStudio neon sign aglow in my lifetime... Yes it is at the fate of a wrecking ball .. Someone should have turned it into a Noth american Music museum of sorts years back -but the significance of that place is so highly underated for all that had the oppurtunity of recording or working there . it was one of a kind .

many of here respect the place but realize it is likely done especially over recent years of vandelizm and owners not giving a damn. -I have to agree -you cant dwell on it - However if those walls could talk??? It was a magical place. I cant give up on it yet.... Give me a wining lottery ticket-and we can all party there and record a TRF song after a quick reno to restore some of the iconic signicance the place represents... Long live LeStudio Morin Heights..

• Like 2