Le Studio Morin Heghts, Studio Morin Heights, Etc.

chain__lightning

Hey Guys!!

I'm really into the background and history of the historic studio where rush recorded seven albums. Right now it is laying in ruins deep in the forest of Quebec, where the roof can barely hold the rain/wind/snow. The amount of vandalism truly makes me sad, this place is near and dear to the hearts of many Rush fans.

Anyways, I was wondering if there are any people that worked/visited/recorded there back in the day? I would love to hear your stories down to the last detail. And if anyone has any lost/unseen photographs, please send them! I love the history of this place, especially the later years. There isn't as much info/pics of the 90's and 2000's due to the lack of life there in it's later years.

Anything you guys have would be awesome!

Thanks

-Jackson :dweez: :D :P :)

Edited by chain__lightning
  • Like 1

Jackson, it sounds like you are looking for pretty detailed memories! Is there a specific reason you are collecting them? Where would any photos end up?

Just to tell you, I'm not going to make any sort of documentary, although that would be cool! I just love hearing about this place. I really want to know what it would've been like to work/visit/record there back when it was open. It's such an amazing place, never again will we find a studio where musicians could go on a retreat like the one Le Studio offered, Unless the Le Studio go fund me works out some day!

There were some cool finds in the rubble of the studio area of what was the new wing years ago.. its been pretty ravished since

Yeah, I've seen some pretty sad pictures and videos about the destruction and ravishing of the complex. Have you ever visited in recent years or when it was open?

I followed lestudio channel( Kevin )since part 1 - he liked dropped of the face of the earth and you cant even comment on the videos anymore?? need part 3 ..

Kevin is not accociated with that street drummer Richard Baxter character .

I saw how he interviewed him a couple years back. Has there been any word from Kevin since the last video? What is he doing with his life? I mean, he left us all so suddenly.

The video is interesting. I've noticed the fans seem to be much more attached to the studio than the artists that actually worked there.

It's such a pretty setting, it's easy to feel an attachment to it. Just seeing the backgrounds outside from when Rush was recording there and how beautiful the area was makes you want to visit.

• Like 1

The video is interesting. I've noticed the fans seem to be much more attached to the studio than the artists that actually worked there.

I've noticed that as well and I don't get it. I know a number of classic albums were recorded there but in the end it's just a studio.

Whoever owns Le Studio should just have the whole thing torn down.

I think the reason fans have nostalgic memories of that place is from seeing videos from 'Moving Picture's filmed there.

If the band didn't film videos there, I don't think fans would even blink an eye today about the studio itself.

Le Studio isn't considered of that much importance unlike other studios in the Sound City (film) that Dave Grohl directed.

To the nut jobs who want to raise crowdfunding money to resurrect Le Studio, keep dreaming because it isn't going to happen.

If the guys in the band don't care about the studio's existence, then neither should you. Get a life.

Edited by RushFanForever
  • Like 1

I think the reason fans have nostalgic memories of that place is from seeing videos from 'Moving Picture's filmed there.

If the band didn't film videos there, I don't think fans would even blink an eye today about the studio itself.

Le Studio isn't considered of that much importance unlike other studios in the Sound City (film) that Dave Grohl directed.

To the nut jobs who want to raise crowdfunding money to resurrect Le Studio, keep dreaming because it isn't going to happen.

If the guys in the band don't care about the studio's existence, then neither should you. Get a life.

All I did was try and bring a positive vibe and you just took a dump on it.

• Like 1

chain__lightning my comment wasn't directed at you per se. I apologize if it's the case.

It's just a generalization of wishing the fandom of Le Studio would cease to exist.

This crowdfunding page here hasn't generated a lot of buzz and enthusiasm from fans sadly enough.

People should just appreciate the vintage articles, photos and videos available and leave it at that.

Edited by RushFanForever
  • Like 1

And also it's not just about those three videos, they are pretty damn overrated. This wasn't just a studio, it was a retreat for musicians which (as far as I know) has been the only studio ever to have the outdoor vibe to it. The place had a massive history to it. It went through multiple expansions and different owners, It has many battle scars. I just wish that place could talk, because I would have a long and detailed conversation with it. Not just about Rush, mostly about it's history. Remember how many other people recorded there??

• Like 1

chain__lightning my comment wasn't directed at you per se. I apologize if it's the case.

It's just a generalization of wishing the fandom of Le Studio would cease to exist.

This crowdfunding page here hasn't generated a lot of buzz and enthusiasm from fans sadly enough.

People should just appreciate the vintage articles, photos and videos available and leave it at that.

Oh yeah sorry dude

My visit to LeStudio felt almost "spiritual". Standing in the same space where so much iconic music was created is an unreal feeling. Sharing it with my daughter made it even more special. I'm sure that any music lover would feel the the same way. Especially if your a Rush fan.
  • Like 3

My visit to LeStudio felt almost "spiritual". Standing in the same space where so much iconic music was created is an unreal feeling. Sharing it with my daughter made it even more special. I'm sure that any music lover would feel the the same way. Especially if your a Rush fan.

Yes for sure. How long ago did you visit?

Yes for sure. How long ago did you visit?

June of 2015 before all the destruction.

And also it's not just about those three videos, they are pretty damn overrated. This wasn't just a studio, it was a retreat for musicians which (as far as I know) has been the only studio ever to have the outdoor vibe to it. The place had a massive history to it. It went through multiple expansions and different owners, It has many battle scars. I just wish that place could talk, because I would have a long and detailed conversation with it. Not just about Rush, mostly about it's history. Remember how many other people recorded there??

I would have worded the comment different,y but I get where he's coming from. If the artists who actually experienced it (and have deep pockets) don't have the urge to lift a finger it's weird to me that fans want to. Clearly the artists view it as a studio that has served its purpose and have moved on

• Like 2

I got interested in LeStudio when I saw a picture in the Moving Pictures tour book that showed the sign in the background. Long before I ever saw the videos. I always thought it would be cool to go there. The "importance" of the studio is very subjective to who you ask. It is very important to me. Many iconic recordings were made there.

I do agree that the crowd funding exercise is kind of silly and the best thing that could happen to the place is it being demolished. Especially after the recent vandalism.

As far as "caring" about the place...everybody needs a hobby. Who am I to judge (or care) about how someone spends their spare time.

• Like 2

I went there in March this year, I'm sad to say it's gotten worse, it's become a hangout for druggies too I think. I found knives and ciggarets all over the place and someone even jumped through a window in the main studio, cutting themselves and leaving bloody footprints on the floor. I'm not kidding, someone started a fire in the main studio and burned pieces of the doors and walls for fuel, He could have easily burned the building down. I'll be going back sometime this month, any request of rooms/places in there you guys want pics of?