Favorite Jazz Fusion Albums/Bands?

Bigbobby10

What are some of your favorite Jazz Fusion bands/albums? Been listening to a lot of it recently and trying to find new stuff, so seeing what others think

For albums, my current top 5 is

1. Miles Davis- Bitches Brew

2. Frank Zappa- Hot Rats

3. Soft Machine- Third (no pun intended)

4. Herbie Hancock- Head Hunters

5. Frank Zappa- The Grand Wazoo

• Like 4

My personal favorites:

Mahavishnu - Inner Mounting Flame

Dixie Dregs - Industry Standard

Return to Forever - Romantic Warrior

Bruford - Feels Good To Me

Billy Cobham - Spectrum

The Aristocrats - Culture Clash

Weather Report - Heavy Weather

Jean-Luc Ponty - Live

Jeff Beck - Blow by Blow

Steve Morse Band - The Introduction

Edited by cygnify
  • Like 10

If you can stretch the definition to "Instrumental fusion", I would include Steve Vai (Passion and Warfare), Liquid Tension Experiment, Focus (Moving Waves), and Zappa.
  • Like 4

Miles Davis- Live Evil, Black Beauty, Pangea

Donald Byrd -Ethiopian Nights

Brand X - Moroccan Roll

Stanley Clarke -School Days

Medeski, Martin and Wood - Shack Man

Herbie Hancock- Thrust, Sextant

Allan Holdsworth - Wardenclyffe Tower....anything. Go get some Allan in your life. RIP

• Like 5

On a side note, I think Rush could have made some great fusion during the Hemispheres through Moving pictures period. The breakdown in Freewill always reminded me of some jazz fusion. Edited by Xanadoood
  • Like 2

On a side note, I think Rush could have made some great fusion during the Hemispheres through Moving pictures period. The breakdown in Freewill always reminded me of some jazz fusion.

I'd love for Ged and Alex to team up with Stewart Copeland on a project of this nature. No vocals, just jams.
  • Like 2

Some great things mentioned here already. A couple that stand out to me, that have been missed:

Chick Corea- Return to Forever

Tony Williams Lifetime- Emergency

• Like 7

On a side note, I think Rush could have made some great fusion during the Hemispheres through Moving pictures period. The breakdown in Freewill always reminded me of some jazz fusion.

YYZ is sort of fusion-ish. So's the funky instrumental break in Cinderella Man. Reminds me of Weather Report.

Return To Forever's "Hymn Of The Galaxy" is one of my favorites .. It's the album before Al D joined, and Bill Connors is great

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFP-alYNq5I

I love all of Al DiMeola's albums from "Land Of The Midnight Sun" up thru "Electric Rendezvous"

Flight Over Rio from Elegant Gypsy is fantastic ( par for the course for Al during that era )

• Like 4

I saw Chick Correa live a couple of times. Really great. Sometimes Tull can slip over into the genre. And I saw the Mahavishnu Orchestra once. Gosh you're making me feel old.
  • Like 3

Weather Report is one of my all time favorite groups in any genre, so they'd have to be represented in my list.

Let's see...

Mahavishnu Orchestra - Birds of Fire, Inner Mounting Flame

Weather Report - 8:30, Mysterious Traveller, Black Market

Pat Metheny - Travels

Miles Davis - Bitches Brew, Miles at the Fillmore (Bootleg Series Vol. 3)

Billy Cobham - Spectrum

Bruford - One Of A Kind

Herbie Hancock - Flood

Donald Byrd - The Dude

And a later example (late-80s... WAY too cool and hip to be considered "smooth jazz"):: Yellowjackets - Politics

Edited by Mystic Slipperman
  • Like 2

Not sure if anyone considers this "Fusion", but it was certainly ahead of it's time, and I think alot of Fusion and Prog dudes were schooled in odd times from this:

Dave Brubeck Quartet - Time Out

• Like 3

Too many. Just about everything of Al DiMeola and Shadowfax. Stanley Clarke (especially If This Bass Could Only Talk), Jerry Goodman's solo albums, Mahavishnu, Jeff Beck, Jaco Pastorius' Punk Jazz 2 CD compilation, The Zawinul Project World Tour CD's. Then there's the "New Age" music that strays there e.g. Michael Hedges, Andreas Vollenweider, etc.
  • Like 1