Gibson vs Keaton vs Rourke vs Russell

JohnnyBlaze

Mel vs Michael vs Mickey vs Kurt  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Which actor do you think is the best?

• Mel Gibson
    • Michael Keaton
    • Mickey Rourke
    • Kurt Russell
  2. 2. Which actors would you give a B+ grade or better?

• Mel Gibson
    • Michael Keaton
    • Mickey Rourke
    • Kurt Russell
    • (None of them)

http://img.cinemablend.com/cb/1/6/7/d/2/8/167d2818daff4bf67c5da51af4ef0c77b21239c6f67dbd4f571daacd033dd5ec.jpg

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/content/dam/film/birdman/michael-keaton-birdman-video-xlarge.jpg

http://serenevelocity.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/thewrestler.jpg

http://godhatesgeeks.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/large_escape_from_new_york_blu-ray5.jpg

Also...

(1) Who made THE BEST movie out of this group?

(2) Who has the most number of movies that you've enjoyed?

I'll have to come back and think on #1.

However, #2 was a surprise for me. I only counted movies that I thought were good or great. I didn't count those that were just "okay". These were my numbers...

Gibson: 6 movies I liked

Keaton: 10

Rourke: 5

Russell: 8

Before going through their filmographies, I assumed Russell had more. But there were a bunch of his that I though were just "okay" like Tequila Sunrise and Stargate. But those I liked, I really loved like Escape from New York, The Thing, Breakdown, and Vanilla Sky.

With Rourke, I think I just haven't seen too many of his movies. The Wrestler would be his best though IMHO.

Gibson's 6 spanned Gallipoli to Braveheart, time-wise. Fun movies but I definitely won't be voting for him.

Keaton, however, has been pretty versatile: Night Shift, Mr. Mom, Beetlejuice, Pacific Heights, Birdman, etc. Impressive really but I'm kind of surprised that I'm leaning towards voting for him.

I like all of these four except for Gibson, I voted Rourke as the best because I think he's the best actor and I like his characters as well.

In terms of films I like by each it goes like this

(RE Gibson: All the Gibson films I like are because of other actors or the story in spite of Mel)

Gibson - 4: The Bounty, Bird on a Wire, Chicken Run, Machete Kills

Keaton - 6: Night Shift, Beetlejuice, The Dream Team, Batman, Batman Returns*, Pacific Heights (Keaton's resume is pretty thin after 1990)

Russell - 12 : Used Cars, Escape From New York, The Thing, The Mean Season, Big Trouble in Little China, Tango & Cash*, Backdraft, Unlawful Entry*, Tombstone, Escape From LA*, Breakdown, Vanilla Sky.

Rourke - 15 : Year of the Dragon, Angel Heart, Johnny Handsome, Desperate Hours, White Sands, Double Team, Buffalo 66, Animal Factory, Get Carter*(remake), Once Upon a Time in Mexico, Sin City, The Wrestler, Killshot, Iron Man 2, The Expendables*,

* indicates cheese factor overidden by overall entertainment value

I prefer Kurt. His Wyatt Earp was fantastic.

Still haven't seen that. I heard Val Kilmer is pretty awesome in that too.

Maybe my favorite Kilmer performance along with the Saint.

• Like 1

I didn't think The Doors was a great movie (it was good) but I thought Kilmer was great though.

I should watch that again.

• Like 1

Of the actors listed, I've seen the most from Mickey Rourke

- Fade To Black, Diner, Pope Of Greenwich Village, 9 1/2 Weeks, Angel Heart, Barfly, Wild Orchid, Buffalo 66, Get Carter, Animal Factory and The Wrestler ... Most all of 'em were enjoyable

My initial reaction was that Kurt Russell would win this based on The Thing ... but I've only seen him in The Thing, Escape From NY and LA, and Silkwood ... Most of the other movies he's been in hold very little interest for me ..

Mel Gibson is an awful actor, but I liked Mad Max ..

I don't think I've even seen a movie with Michael Keaton, and in going over his filmography, I probably never will

I like all of these four except for Gibson, I voted Rourke as the best because I think he's the best actor and I like his characters as well.

(RE Gibson: All the Gibson films I like are because of other actors or the story in spite of Mel)

Keaton - 6: Night Shift, Beetlejuice, The Dream Team, Batman, Batman Returns*, Pacific Heights (Keaton's resume is pretty thin after 1990)

Russell - 12 : Used Cars, Escape From New York, The Thing, The Mean Season, Big Trouble in Little China, Tango & Cash*, Backdraft, Unlawful Entry*, Tombstone, Escape From LA*, Breakdown, Vanilla Sky.

Rourke - 15 : Year of the Dragon, Angel Heart, Johnny Handsome, Desperate Hours, White Sands, Double Team, Buffalo 66, Animal Factory, Get Carter*(remake), Once Upon a Time in Mexico, Sin City, The Wrestler, Killshot, Iron Man 2, The Expendables*,

I might have to go back through their filmographies and recount.

But I haven't seen a lot of those Rourke ones. And I forgot Expendables (total cheesedick but watchable). However, I definitely didn't like Iron Man 2. At best, I might give it an "ok"...which I'm not counting in the positive range.

Also, it's hard to count Buffalo 66 as he's hardly in that.

Didn't you like him in Rumble Fish?

I didn't think The Doors was a great movie (it was good) but I thought Kilmer was great though.

I should watch that again.

Kilmer nails it. And I agree that his Earp is fantastic as well.
  • Like 2

But I haven't seen a lot of those Rourke ones. And I forgot Expendables (total cheesedick but watchable). However, I definitely didn't like Iron Man 2. At best, I might give it an "ok"...which I'm not counting in the positive range.

Yeah there's a few other films that I've liked him in too like Diner but it's been a long time since I've seen them so I didn't put them in the list. You should use my Rourke list next time you go to the video store.

• Like 1

Yeah there's a few other films that I've liked him in too like Diner but it's been a long time since I've seen them so I didn't put them in the list. You should use my Rourke list next time you go to the video store.

Will do :cheers: ....though you know from what I've told you how hard it can be finding stuff in that shop. And i can't always ask for a movie by title as the titles are often different. Still, I'll be on the lookout.

Will do :cheers: ....though you know from what I've told you how hard it can be finding stuff in that shop. And i can't always ask for a movie by title as the titles are often different. Still, I'll be on the lookout.

I'll just give you a quick idea of some of the Rourke films.

Year of the Dragon he plays a cop in Chinatown, I think it's in New York. Angel Heart that's where he's a private detective in Louisiana, De Niro is in that one, Johnny Handsome is a good thriller with Morgan Freeman, Forest Whitaker and Lance Henriksen and Ellen Barkin as the bad guy couple. White Sands is a Wilem Dafoe cop thriller with Samuel L Jackson and Rourke as the bad guy. Double Team is an action flick with Van Damme, Rourke plays the bad guy again. Animal Factory is a prison drama, Rourke plays a weird gay guy. Get Carter is a Stallone action thriller, again Rourke plays on of the bad guys and I think you know the rest.

• Like 1

Year of the Dragon he plays a cop in Chinatown, I think it's in New York. Angel Heart that's where he's a private detective in Louisiana, De Niro is in that one, Johnny Handsome is a good thriller with Morgan Freeman, Forest Whitaker and Lance Henriksen and Ellen Barkin as the bad guy couple. White Sands is a Wilem Dafoe cop thriller with Samuel L Jackson and Rourke as the bad guy. Double Team is an action flick with Van Damme, Rourke plays the bad guy again. Animal Factory is a prison drama, Rourke plays a weird gay guy. Get Carter is a Stallone action thriller, again Rourke plays on of the bad guys and I think you know the rest.

Isn't he sleeping with Lisa Bonet in the Angel Heart movie? I might've seen that but can't remember it.

Those all sound alright but I'd probably trust the Dafoe one most because he's dependable. Check him out in The Hunter btw. Saw that about a month or two ago and thought it was pretty cool.

Isn't he sleeping with Lisa Bonet in the Angel Heart movie? I might've seen that but can't remember it.

Those all sound alright but I'd probably trust the Dafoe one most because he's dependable. Check him out in The Hunter btw. Saw that about a month or two ago and thought it was pretty cool.

Yeah that's right, I think she's supposed to be about 18 in the film. Dafoe is also in the Animal Factory he plays the main character.

AND he's your Huckleberry!

• Like 2

He steals the film.

:yes:

No small feat in that film, which has a lot of great character performances.