Are you a fan of Santana?

Texas King

How much do you like Santana?

Any fave album, fave songs?

I know some stuff, really like a couple of tunes and only album that I fully listened to was Abraxas and I like it, a very good album.

And Carlos is a great guitarist.

http://68.media.tumblr.com/713f619708903c132c3279b91a6ae37b/tumblr_nd8ary83oK1qzdza2o1_500.jpg

• Like 2

I love Santana, particularly the first four albums: Santana, Abraxas, Santana III and Caravanserai. All four are classics
  • Like 8

As for favourite songs, the version of Soul Sacrifice from Woodstock is amazing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqZceAQSJvc

and Europa is beautiful with some nice emotive playing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVI7ZDDQXKA

Edited by Your_Lion
  • Like 5

Great tone and solid player. A bit nuts upstairs but that's ok. The album he did with the guest singers about 20 years ago was a stroke of genius and really worked to meld his playing with a pop sensibility.
  • Like 1

Why did he bring Neal Schon into the band? Why would he need another lead guitar player?

I read that he was influenced by some of the stuff the Allman Brothers were doing with twin lead
  • Like 1

Santana ( 1970 ) was my first concert. I had 5th row seats at the Felt Forum ( NYC ) and I remember sitting there with my jaw on my lap.

I was 15y.o. at the time and had my first " out of body experience " when I heard this song.

http://youtu.be/mjWkm3tvrRA

Edited by custom55
  • Like 10

Yes, I really like Carlos .. Your Lion posted Europa, which is great .. And I'll add the Moonflower album to the conversation - great stuff

I saw him live when I was a freshman in high school, and even though I didn't smoke anything, I think I'm still high from all the pot that was smoked by the crowd

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 4

Santana 3 is among my all time favorite albums

Abraxas is an awesome album

Debut is fantastic.

Caravanserai is ok.

I love many other songs from Carlos, but have no other albums.

I saw them for the Shango tour. Don't remember that much of it though. Just too long ago.

Edited by Mithrandir
  • Like 3

Yes, and Caravanserai is probably my favorite record.

:guitar:

A favorite album by any band for me. The first three Santana albums are obvious (and awesome), but they hit a great stretch of acid jazz/funk/latino that is hard to beat. Started getting watered down a bit by '79 (Marathon), but still had some juice. Gotta pick and choose songs out of albums since then. Still has some good stuff. I like Shapeshifter.

• Like 3

I probably need to check out more of his mid and later '70s output. There's a lot that I haven't heard.

After Moonflower, it's hit-and-miss for me, but definitely check out Lotus and Borboletta!

This reminds me I need to revisit Welcome.

I probably need to check out more of his mid and later '70s output. There's a lot that I haven't heard.

After Moonflower, it's hit-and-miss for me...

Santana is probably my favourite guitarist, and the times I've seen the band perform stand among the best concerts I've been to.

Despite being a huge fan I agree about the hit and miss.

I think post-Moonflower albums Inner Secrets, Zebop, Shape Shifter and the latest release Santana IV are all very good.

But I couldn't get on the bandwagon for Supernatural or the similar releases that followed featuring Santana collaborating with a variety of guest artists. They were very popular releases, I suppose, but I just didn't care for them at all.

• Like 2

Last years Santana IV is another very good one, featuring the return of most of the original line-up. If you've not heard it, you should.

There's also a live album/DVD the Santana IV tour which is fantastic. It's great seeing Shrieve, Rolie, Schon and Carabello playing with Carlos again.

• Like 2

Last years Santana IV is another very good one, featuring the return of most of the original line-up. If you've not heard it, you should.

There's also a live album/DVD the Santana IV tour which is fantastic. It's great seeing Shrieve, Rolie, Schon and Carabello playing with Carlos again.

That might be a Santana album worth investigating.

Do you own all or most Santana albums?