My thoughts about the Rush In Rio release

YYZumbi

I hear from time to time that people complain on the sound quality on the Time Machine CD and the Clockwork Angels Live CD. But I almost never hear people complain on the Rush In Rio CD. Which I do not understand.

To me, the Time Machine CD sounds just great, while the Rush In Rio CD sounds just terrible, it is their worst sounding live album, next to Clockwork Angels live CD in my opinion.

I am right now sitting and listening to Rush In Rio CD (first time in a VERY long time), but I am forced to play it at low volume, because the sound is just so bad. Which is sad, because the concert seems to be one of their best, the audience is crazy and the set list is awesome, and the boys seem to play great and be in good mood.

When they released the R40 box set, they released the Rush In Rio on bluray, and they upgraded it a lot. They made the video into fake HD (and it is a good fake HD upgrade!). And the sound quality is a big upgrade, even tho it will always be the worst one of Rush all live releases (next to Clockwork Angels Live). But at least now its possible to enjoy it.

I remember when I bought the Rush In Rio DVD, the first version. It was the last one of them all that I bought (back in 2011, when I became a Rush fan). And I put it on, on the big TV. And I remember, I could only watch half of the concert, because I got such a big headache, because the quality was so bad. And then I did not watch it again for many years.

So with this bluray upgrade, I can finally watch the whole video whitout getting a headache, and I can enjoy it!

But now I want a remastered CD, because to be honest, I rarely watch live videos. Do you guys think we ever get one? Or are we stuck with this one that sounds like a bad bootleg recording? Maybe we get one in the R50 box set?

• Like 1

The Rio release I couldn't EVER just listen to. It sounds awful but I can stomach it if I'm watching...
  • Like 1

The Rio release I couldn't EVER just listen to. It sounds awful but I can stomach it if I'm watching...

To me its just the other way around, I find it harder to watch then just listen to it.

I am partial to All the World's A Stage
  • Like 3

I agree, Rush In Rio sounds bad. Have felt that way since its release.

That said... the energy of the performance makes up for the audio shortcomings, at least for me. I treat it as though it were an "Official Bootleg".

But now I'm curious to hear the BluRay...

• Like 1

If I remember correctly there was a huge discussion here about RIR at the time of it's release. There were several threads on sound quality, aspect rations , too much crowd noise ect. I must be a luddite because I didn't notice any of the issues at the time. I have a pretty basic set up no surround sound ect.
  • Like 2

The Rush in Rio DVD is a big reason why I fell back in love with Rush. Sound quality aside, it's a great release because it captures the energy of the performance. I think it's an essential Rush release.
  • Like 8

The Rush in Rio DVD is a big reason why I fell back in love with Rush. Sound quality aside, it's a great release because it captures the energy of the performance. I think it's an essential Rush release.

:yes:
  • Like 1

It's really a fun video to watch. It is unfortunate that the sound quality sucks...but to see that crowd singing to YYZ. :LOL: The crowd is just rabid, and the guys just feed of their energy.
  • Like 4

Alex is the one who oversees the audio portion of live releases.

YYZumbi maybe you should contact David Botrill and then he can contact the band to see about remixing 'Rush In Rio'.

David did the 'Vapor Trails Remixed' album.

All right! I have now sent him a e-mail! Lets hope he do it!

Even though Rush in Rio had really bad recordings, it is one of my favorite DVD's to watch, just by the crowd itself.

Always jealous of Rod for being there to see it, just amazing to see.

I agree that its a amazing show, but I can not enjoy it 100% with the bad quality.

I purchased the dvd when it first came out and thought it was great sound quality aside.Later i bought the cd because it was half price,a coupler of extra tunes,need it to complete my collection etc.I think i may have played it all the way through once as background noise.If i remember there was trouble with the recording equipment (and perhaps Alex's ears).Outside open arenas/paddocks are always a problem to record(any live gig is) but this was a historic gig so it is what it is.Be interested to see/hear the blueray.Oh i just pulled the Rio cd off the shelf,it was stuck there.

As long as he's not responsible for the drum sound! Anything that involves Alex will sound poor because he always insists on having the guitar way to high in the mix, which occupies too much frequency space, resulting in a poor mix. Something that would never happen with a 'real' producer.
  • Like 1

I hear from time to time that people complain on the sound quality on the Time Machine CD and the Clockwork Angels Live CD. But I almost never hear people complain on the Rush In Rio CD. Which I do not understand.

Barely listen to these CDs at all because of how they sound. The DVDs are great though. They sound so much better (obviously.) There are reasons they sound like they do. A bit surprised the CDs are still in print.

I think everyone knows that the audio or video quality isn't the best, but people seem to like it for the audience enthusiasm.
  • Like 1