Allan Holdsworth dead at 70

treeduck

oh f**k it ... what the hell ??

70 is too damn young

RIP Allan

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Gambale

"I saw Allan play last night at the Baked Potato and I must say that, without a doubt, he is truly The Grand Master..."

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawn Lane

"I saw Allan Holdsworth when I was about 14 in 1978. I never dreamed a guitar could be played like that and that really changed my whole life.

If I hadn't had seen Holdsworth I may have just continued to play some blues and rock music and might have even given it up later or something,

but when I saw him at 14, that really inspired me to try to play guitar in my own way at another level."

Quote:

Originally Posted by John McLaughlin

"I recall a concert of Allan in London some years ago, and after the performance I went to see him backstage only to tell him that if I knew what he was doing, I'd steal it!"

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yngwie Malmsteen

"Allan Holdsworth also has a strong style. A long time ago, Jens took me to see him in a small club in New York. I had to take my hat off to him."

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pat Metheny

"I totally agree that Allan is one of the greatest guitarists ever - his work on the mid-70's Tony Williams records was revolutionary and changed everything for guitarists everywhere. It is a real mystery to me why he is not a household name. but it really doesn't matter, his contribution is large and i think all musicians know it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Morse

"His influence is just that he's such a drastic unyielding individual. You know, 'I'm going to do my thing and I'm going to do it the best I can."

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Petrucci

"There's so many great guitar players. Al DiMeola, Alan Holdsworth, Mike Stern, John Scofield, so many great players..."

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carlos Santana

"He has something totally beautiful..."

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Satriani

"You know, I should say at the beginning, a big difference between me and Allan is that I built on stuff that Allan pioneered, and in a small way (chuckles) I tried to assimilate a lot of what he did on the guitar technically. So it's very different. His musicianship was so far ahead of mine when I was starting out, looking at books and picking out scales and stuff;

Allan was in a stage where he was constantly reinventing guitar, and I was a fan in the audience, you know what I mean?

So I'd have to say in all honesty, I've taken from Allan Holdsworth, and tried to figure out, "How can I use what this guy has done to further what I'm trying to say?"

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Vai

Steve Vai did an article entitled "Guitar Secrets" - "Pull off and Hammer-on" in Guitar Power magazine in May 1986 and explaining the "legato" technique with examples he says ...

"Allan Holdsworth is a master of playing this style."

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddie Van Halen

"Holdsworth is the best in my book. He's fantastic. I love him."

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Zappa

Q: Was there ever a practitioner of the guitar - Hendrix say - that blew you away in terms of being a total original?

FZ: "One of the most interesting guys on guitar on the planet is Allan Holdsworth. I really respect his playing."

• Like 4

Talk about influential.

Seems like he had been around forever but 70 doesn't seem all that old to me.

RIP. :rose:

When someone died at 70 I used to say, "He had a good life". Since turning 50 I say that less often.
  • Like 3

What a resume..

In the '70s, he played with legendary Miles Davis drummer Tony Williams and CREAM bassist Jack Bruce as the band LIFETIME, and toured with SOFT MACHINE. He worked with former YES and KING CRIMSON drummer Bill Bruford's first solo project, FEELS GOOD TO ME, and subsequent recordings with Jean-Luc Ponty and GONG. Bruford suggested Allan for the progressive-rock "supergroup" U.K., which, along with Bruford, also featured John Wetton and Eddie Jobson.

Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/members-of-dream-theater-whitesnake-living-colour-journey-arch-enemy-others-react-to-passing-of-allan-holdsworth/#mXfWP3kT4KuceurC.99

• Like 3

I am so upset with this. Really tearful now. I have been thinking of Allan a lot recently, dont know why. I wrote to Mark King 3/4 weeks ago asking him to reconsider taking Allan back under the wing, to reform the old line up. I guess I had a feeling there were health issues, with the speculation around.

There really was no one even coming close to Allan, with his musical vision. Really upset. He's a genius, really.

I'll raise a Timothy Tailor to you Allan! :rose:

• Like 3

Alex Lifeson and Allan Holdsworth

Alex Lifeson comments on Allan below.

Guitar Player - June 1980

Why do you like Alan Holdsworth?

I've only heard the stuff he's done with UK and with [drummer] Bill Bruford-his first two albums-and I especially like his use of the vibrato arm. It's not like the typical wang wang stuff a lot of players do. Alan uses it so tastefully, and uses it in conjunction with bending notes and moving around the fingerboard. I also like his tone; to me it sounds at times very much like a saxophone.

Guitar Player - April 1986

Parts of "Grand Designs" almost sound like slide guitar.

Yeah. It's whammy. I was very much influenced by Allan Holdsworth a number of years ago, the way he uses the whammy bar to slur notes and move around. That got me interested in using one and trying to develop a style with one. So many people use it now that it's not that unique, and actually I've started to move away from it a bit. I've gotten a bit lazy with my natural vibrato since I've been relying a lot more on the whammy bar. It's time for a change.

Guitar Player - September 2007

A defining characteristic of your soloing-especially on tunes like "The Trees" and "YYZ"-is your use of really wide interval skips, often involving open strings. Where do you think that comes from?

I got a lot of that from Allan Holdsworth. Around that time in the late '70s, I was quite influenced by his left-hand work-the way he pulled and played without picking.

GuitarOne - September/October 1996

Were you ever influenced by jazz?

Allan Holdsworth really touched me. The playing he did with U.K. and Bill Bruford was so incredibly fluid, more like a sax or violin than a guitar. His solo on U.K.'s "In the Dead of Night" influenced my whammy bar playing tremendously.

Guitar World - November 1981

"The Hiwatts are inefficient but they push and they have a particular sound which I liked at the time. We were in England and I saw Bill Bruford and Allan Holdsworth was using two Marshall combos and it sounded amazing. I rented one and tried it out while we made Moving Pictures and I ended up using it pretty well exclusively. I was very happy with the results."

Guitar World - July 2006

"In The Dead Of Night" - U.K., U.K., 1978

"Allan Holdsworth has an amazing, out-of-this-world liquidity. What a genius! His fingers are constantly moving. Pulls make up the bulk of his playing; I don't think he does much picking. I was listening to Holdsworth around the time of Moving Pictures [1981], and you can indirectly hear his influence on my playing on 'YYZ.'"

Neil Peart comments on Allan below:

Canadian Musician - October 1981

"You see a horn player or a violinist whose phrasing is so nice, like the way Allan Holdsworth plays guitar; the way he phrases his instrument it sounds like a saxophone sometimes. That sort of syncopation amazes me."

Edited by RushFanForever
  • Like 7

There is a gofundme page for his family to pay for his funeral expenses. Sad that such an influential musician would need this. The world is no t a cool one when a Justin Bieber becomes super wealthy and someone of Allan's stature needs assistance

https://www.gofundme.com/allanholdsworthmemorial

• Like 3

There is a gofundme page for his family to pay for his funeral expenses. Sad that such an influential musician would need this. The world is no t a cool one when a Justin Bieber becomes super wealthy and someone of Allan's stature needs assistance

https://www.gofundme.com/allanholdsworthmemorial

Truth. :(

• Like 2