Caress of Steel vs September 1975

JohnnyBlaze

CoS vs September '75  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Which September '75 studio album is your favorite?

• Grateful Dead : Blues for Allah
    • Jethro Tull : Minstrel in the Gallery
    • Thin Lizzy : Fighting
    • Danny Kirwan : Second Chapter
    • Pink Floyd : Wish You Were Here
    • Supertramp : Crisis? What Crisis?
    • Foghat : Fool for the City
    • Crosby & Nash : Wind on the Water
    • Scorpions : In Trance
    • George Harrison : Extra Texture (Read All About It)
    • Rush : Caress of Steel
    • Harry Chapin : Portrait Gallery
    • Brian Eno : Another Green World
    • Leo Sayer : Another Year
    • Budgie : Bandolier
    • Dan Fogelberg : Captured Angel
    • The Ozark Mountain Devils : The Car Over the Lake Album
    • Smokie : Changing All the Time
    • Electric Light Orchestra : Face the Music
    • The J. Geils Band : Hotline
    • Tower of Power : In the Slot
    • John Fogerty : John Fogerty
    • Can : Landed
    • Kansas : Masque
    • Man : Maximum Darkness
    • Linda Rondstadt : Prisoner in Disguise
    • Procol Harum : Procol's Ninth
    • The Sunshine Band : The Sound of Sunshine
    • Nitty Gritty Dirt Band : Symphonion Dream
    • Ted Nugent : Ted Nugent
    • Blue Magic : Thirteen Blue Magic Lane
    • Montrose : Warner Bros. Presents
    • Herbie Man : Waterbed
    • John Denver : Windsong
    • Black Oak Arkansas : X-Rated
  2. 2. Is Caress of Steel currently one of your Top 5 Rush albums?

• Absolutely!
    • Probably...could be...I'm not sure...but it's at least in my Top 10.
    • No. And it's not in my Top 10 either but I still like it.
    • No. I don't really like it all that much to be honest. At best, it's "ok".
    • Definitely not! I dislike/hate it.
    • Actually, I still haven't heard (all of) it yet.

September '75. A real heavyweight month in rock music.

Will Caress of Steel pull this one out?

I've never included Live albums or compilation releases in any of these polls. And I'm not about to start now. But I AM going to at least give a nod to Kiss Alive! because (1) Kiss was very important to the history of Rush and (2) it's Kiss Alive!

http://www.kissmillennium.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/KISS_ALIVE.jpg

http://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/5f/5a/1e/5f5a1e653414700c7cb18842c8ab8d57.jpg

Anyway, on with the voting! :blaze:

• Like 4

Another Green World!

Thanks for the Eno choice JB. One of my favourites, if not my favourite of all time. Loved it when I first heard it in grade 10, and it still delivers the ambient goods!

Phil Collins plays brilliantly on a couple of tunes, as does R Fripp.

Sorry CoS, but it's AGW for me!

• Like 1

Rush wasn't going to win this. I already knew it was going to Wish You Were Here.

There's a possibility that CoS might not crack my top 10 but I put it in the "Probably..." choice anyway because it's somewhere in the #8-12 position. Bastille Day and Lakeside Park are strong enough for me to allow it in case my brain sits on the fence.

• Like 1

Wow! Loads of my favourite albums in that list.

Minstrel in the Gallery, Fighting, Wish You Were Here, In Trance, Bandolier, Masque...but I'm going to have to say Minstrel in the Gallery.

As for CoS...definitely top 10, occasionally top 5, depending on my mood.

• Like 1

Wow! Loads of my favourite albums in that list.

Minstrel in the Gallery, Fighting, Wish You Were Here, In Trance, Bandolier, Masque...but I'm going to have to say Minstrel in the Gallery.

As for CoS...definitely top 10, occasionally top 5, depending on my mood.

Minstrel probably would be my #2 pick after Floyd.

• Like 1

Minstrel In The Gallery comes in #1 for me with Caress Of Steel a close second.

Because of this.... I saw the Minstrel tour in 1975 with UFO as the opener.

While reading some stuff on Ian Anderson just now, I came across this little trivia bit:

Gael (Ian's daughter) who works in the film industry has been married to Andrew Lincoln (Rick Grimes in The Walking Dead) since 2006.

Yeah, that's not too terribly exciting or surprising or anything but just one of those "I didn't know that" moments.

• Like 4

I love most of The Fountain Of Lamneth, and the rest of the album ranges from "it's okay" to "wouldn't miss it if I never heard it again," whereas Wish You Were Here is a very important album to me, and the only Pink Floyd album I love. So I'm voting against Rush in this one.
  • Like 2

For me it's like this:

1. Minstrel in the Gallery (TULL)

2. Masque (KANSAS)

3. Caress of Steel (RUSH)

4. Bandolier (Budgie)

5. Wish You Were Here (floyd)

6. Fighting (Lizzy)

7. Ted Nugent (Nuge)

Edited by treeduck

This is so strange for me. I voted "Definitely not! I dislike it" in the second part of the poll and yet voted for Caress of Steel in the first part. This is because I haven't heard a single album out of the others you have listed. Not one! In a couple of months time Queen - A Night At the Opera would be released. That blows ALL of these albums out of the water. If the KISS Alive album had been available to vote for I would have voted for that. I don't know/like any of these albums you consider worthy of elevating September 1975 to the status of heavyweight for. As for as I am concerned it is a very weak month with only a KISS live album and one of the 3 worst RUSH albums ever released. This poll is definitely only for 70s music aficionados.

This is so strange for me. I voted "Definitely not! I dislike it" in the second part of the poll and yet voted for Caress of Steel in the first part. This is because I haven't heard a single album out of the others you have listed. Not one! In a couple of months time Queen - A Night At the Opera would be released. That blows ALL of these albums out of the water. If the KISS Alive album had been available to vote for I would have voted for that. I don't know/like any of these albums you consider worthy of elevating September 1975 to the status of heavyweight for. As for as I am concerned it is a very weak month with only a KISS live album and one of the 3 worst RUSH albums ever released. This poll is definitely only for 70s music aficionados.

I can't tell if you're serious or not. It's not September 1975's fault that you haven't heard any of its albums except for CoS.

I haven't heard a full Tupac Shakur album but he surely was a heavyweight in the hip hop world. There's no denying that.

Bon Jovi can suck my left nut but there's no denying how massive they were especially in the 80s.

Guns N' Roses...never liked them. But they were as heavyweight as you can get.

Wish You Were Here especially is a massive album, like it or not. Minstrel, a big album. If you dig a little, you'll find articles in which Geddy himself praises Minstrel and how it specifically (+ a few other Tull albums) influenced him and Rush.

I'm still eagerly awaiting the diatribein NOT ONLY FOR 70's MUSIC AFFICIONADOS CORRECT POLL TO END ALL POLLS poll.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze

I can't tell if you're serious or not. It's not September 1975's fault that you haven't heard any of its albums except for CoS.

I haven't heard a full Tupac Shakur album but he surely was a heavyweight in the hip hop world. There's no denying that.

Bon Jovi can suck my left nut but there's no denying how massive they were especially in the 80s.

Wish You Were Here especially is a massive album, like it or not. Minstrel, a big album. If you dig a little, you'll find articles in which Geddy himself praises Minstrel and how it specifically (+ a few other Tull albums) influenced him and Rush.

I'm still eagerly awaiting the diatribein NOT ONLY FOR 70's MUSIC AFFICIONADOS CORRECT POLL TO END ALL POLLS poll.

I know the song Wish You Were Here because it was on the compilation cassette A Collection of Great Dance Songs, that I had a little kid. I thought it was okay. The album didn't inspire me to delve any deeper into Pink Floyd though.

September 1975 Best Album list:

01. KISS - Alive

02. RUSH - Caress Of Steel

03. Everything Else

Oh, and I was being serious. I did vote for Caress of Steel and dislike. September 1975 means next to nothing to me in terms of music. It is just 70s music lovers over-inflated sense of importance of music they know. November 2016 means more to me in terms of albums released and that happened just 5 months ago.

Edited by diatribein

I know the song Wish You Were Here because it was on the compilation cassette A Collection of Great Dance Songs, that I had a little kid. I thought it was okay. The album didn't inspire me to delve any deeper into Pink Floyd though.

September 1975 Best Album list:

01. KISS - Alive

02. RUSH - Caress Of Steel

03. Everything Else

Oh, and I was being serious. I did vote for Caress of Steel and dislike. September 1975 means next to nothing to me in terms of music. It is just 70s music lovers over-inflated sense of importance of music they know. November 2016 means more to me in terms of albums released and that happened just 5 months ago.

You don't seem to be understanding my point. It's not about me or any other "over-inflated" bla bla finger pointing that you wish it to be. I included Tupac, Bon Jovi, and Guns N' Roses in my previous post to help you understand. But I guess you didn't.