Rate the Rush album Vapor Trails

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

Poll: Rate the Rush album Vapor Trails (67 member(s) have cast votes)

Rate the Rush album Vapor Trails

1. 1/10 (5 votes [7.46%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.46%

2. 2/10 (1 votes [1.49%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.49%

3. 3/10 (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. 4/10 (1 votes [1.49%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.49%

5. 5/10 (6 votes [8.96%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.96%

6. 6/10 (9 votes [13.43%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.43%

7. 7/10 (16 votes [23.88%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 23.88%

8. 8/10 (15 votes [22.39%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 22.39%

9. 9/10 (6 votes [8.96%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.96%

10. 10/10 (8 votes [11.94%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.94%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 goose

goose

Honkin' in Nevada

• Members *
  • 60084 posts
  • Interests:Ted Nugent, Your Mom

Posted 16 April 2017 - 10:53 PM

Lucas, on 16 April 2017 - 10:44 PM, said:

goose, on 15 April 2017 - 09:05 PM, said:

Lucas, on 15 April 2017 - 03:44 PM, said:

...there is a lack of tangible riffs and songwriting chops - after two songs, you've heard just about all they had to offer ...the songs just aren't fleshed out or developed .
I could copy and paste this to the A Farewell to Kings thread.

oh c'mon goose, like it or not, the diversity on A Farewell is there in spades

Cygnus and Xanadu are about as perfectly fleshed out as any songs ever ... Closer To The Heart ??
Closer to the Heart and Xanadu are solid.  Cygnus I has very cool musical moments, but the story and some vocal parts I find completely ridiculous.  The title track and Cinderella Man also have good moments, but as a whole seem really disjointed.  And then there's Madrigal...

The love for AFTK is a much a mystery to me as I'm sure my appreciation of Vapor Trails is to Eagle Moon.  That's really part of the beauty of RUSH, I think.

:cheers:

Sponsored Post

#42 Lucas

Lucas

Leave That Wrench Alone

• Members
  • 12232 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 11:06 PM

goose, on 16 April 2017 - 10:53 PM, said:

...there is a lack of tangible riffs and songwriting chops - after two songs, you've heard just about all they had to offer ...the songs just aren't fleshed out or developed .

Cygnus and Xanadu are about as perfectly fleshed out as any songs ever ... Closer To The Heart ??
Closer to the Heart and Xanadu are solid.  Cygnus I has very cool musical moments, but the story and some vocal parts I find completely ridiculous.  The title track and Cinderella Man also have good moments, but as a whole seem really disjointed.  And then there's Madrigal...

The love for AFTK is a much a mystery to me as I'm sure my appreciation of Vapor Trails is to Eagle Moon.  That's really part of the beauty of RUSH, I think.

I think one of the issues with Vapor Trails - and definitely Clockwork Angels - is that the band / production team felt that in order to achieve heaviness, every spot on the sound spectrum needed to be saturated .. and the songs suffered

Whether that was an attempt to make mediocre songs sound better or more full, I don't know ..

Paul Northfield was there in the studio with Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures - but perhaps he wasn't the producer they needed at that time . . I really think that as their career progressed, Rush began overstepping their limitations as far as making albums ... regardless of how successful they became, they still needed someone in there to crack the whip and direct them

Edited by Lucas, 16 April 2017 - 11:06 PM.

#43 goose

goose

Honkin' in Nevada

• Members *
  • 60084 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 11:39 PM

Lucas, on 16 April 2017 - 11:06 PM, said:

I think one of the issues with Vapor Trails - and definitely Clockwork Angels - is that the band / production team felt that in order to achieve heaviness, every spot on the sound spectrum needed to be saturated .. and the songs suffered

And I don't think they suffered at all.  I think the aural discomfort that the production causes fits the album's content.

#44 Lucas

Lucas

Leave That Wrench Alone

• Members
  • 12232 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 11:52 PM

goose, on 16 April 2017 - 11:39 PM, said:

And I don't think they suffered at all.  I think the aural discomfort that the production causes fits the album's content.

Fair enough ... you don't feel that the songs have a sameness about them that bring the overall effect down ??

#45 goose

goose

Honkin' in Nevada

• Members *
  • 60084 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 11:56 PM

Lucas, on 16 April 2017 - 11:52 PM, said:

Fair enough ... you don't feel that the songs have a sameness about them that bring the overall effect down ??
Not at all.  I think there's a cohesion that makes it all work.

#46 condemned2bfree

condemned2bfree

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1822 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 02:22 AM

Yes, for all the critical opinions on the sound issues, with Vapor trails, I try to imagine this album with the pristine, perfect mix/mastering of say Presto/hyf.
It wouldn't suite Vapor trails, nearly as well.

#47 Cyclonus X-1

Cyclonus X-1

Yurts >>>>>>> Gers

• Members *
  • 66722 posts
  • Interests:Music, literature, sports.

Posted 17 April 2017 - 06:12 AM

condemned2bfree, on 17 April 2017 - 02:22 AM, said:

Yes, for all the critical opinions on the sound issues, with Vapor trails, I try to imagine this album with the pristine, perfect mix/mastering of say Presto/hyf.

Well, there's a lot of middle ground there.  Something can be less polished and more powerful than Presto without being so noisy and harsh that it induces headaches and repels the listener.

#48 condemned2bfree

condemned2bfree

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1822 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 06:27 AM

Cyclonus X-1, on 17 April 2017 - 06:12 AM, said:

Well, there's a lot of middle ground there.  Something can be less polished and more powerful than Presto without being so noisy and harsh that it induces headaches and repels the listener.

Completely disagree. As well as the sound supporting the type of songs, and what was being said, within this album, it also depicts the vulnerable point the band members were at, at this time.
Middling, doesn't carry as much conviction for me in this case.

Edited by condemned2bfree, 17 April 2017 - 06:28 AM.

#49 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Beauty and the Bass

• Members
  • 21912 posts
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 17 April 2017 - 06:47 AM

I agree. Using frequency overlap as a deliberate tool to sound grungy (or whatever descriptive term you want to use)obviously wasn't their intention initially because otherwise they wouldn't have felt the need for the remix.  There's only so much you can do when the base tracks are recorded too hot/distorted/clipped to start with.

#50 condemned2bfree

condemned2bfree

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1822 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 06:56 AM

EagleMoon, on 17 April 2017 - 06:47 AM, said:

I agree. Using frequency overlap as a deliberate tool to sound grungy (or whatever descriptive term you want to use)obviously wasn't their intention initially because otherwise they wouldn't have felt the need for the remix.  There's only so much you can do when the base tracks are recorded too hot/distorted/clipped to start with.

Yes it wasn't their intention. This highlights the vulnerable time the guys were at(as I mentioned), making such anomalies. Its all the stronger for this for me, capturing a moment,  or emotion, as art is supposed to . These qualities dont ditract for me, they enhance.

#51 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Beauty and the Bass

• Members
  • 21912 posts
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 17 April 2017 - 07:21 AM

condemned2bfree, on 17 April 2017 - 06:56 AM, said:

Yes it wasn't their intention. This highlights the vulnerable time the guys were at(as I mentioned), making such anomalies. Its all the stronger for this for me, capturing a moment,  or emotion, as art is supposed to . These qualities dont ditract for me, they enhance.

I don't get that. Bad recording technique is just that. Bad. There's really no excuse for it because honestly they would have had less to do with the base track distortion/clipping than Paul Northfield who would have set the parameters for  recording it. Good production is supposed to enhance a piece of music, not make it sound worse.

#52 condemned2bfree

condemned2bfree

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1822 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 07:35 AM

EagleMoon, on 17 April 2017 - 07:21 AM, said:

I don't get that. Bad recording technique is just that. Bad. There's really no excuse for it because honestly they would have had less to do with the base track distortion/clipping than Paul Northfield who would have set the parameters for  recording it. Good production is supposed to enhance a piece of music, not make it sound worse.

But it doesn't make it worse, for me and for many others. Even if you "don't get it" you, must accept that. I accept others opinion that the sonic experience detracts from enjoying the album.

Art for me, as music is, is capturing an emotion, a time and place, expressing that, subconciously also. With foibles, mistakes vulnerability, all add to the
art.  There is a strong argument Vapor trails does just that also, with these subconcious anomalies.

Seriously after 30 odd years of being in the music business and just after the recent  events of Mr peart , its highly likely these bad recording techniques are a reflection of the state the guys were at. Thats my perception of vapor trails, sonically and songwriting wise, and I enjoy the album all the more for these points.

There are plenty of other Rush albums to enjoy. :)

Edited by condemned2bfree, 17 April 2017 - 10:30 AM.

#53 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Beauty and the Bass

• Members
  • 21912 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 08:41 AM

condemned2bfree, on 17 April 2017 - 07:35 AM, said:

EagleMoon, on 17 April 2017 - 07:21 AM, said:

But it doen't make it worse, for me and for many others. Even if you "don't get it" you, must accept that. I accept others opinion that the sonic experience ditracts from enjoying the album.

Art for me, as music is, is capturing an emotion, a time and place, expressing that, subconciously also. With foibles, mistakes vulnerability, all add to the
art.  There is a strong argument Vapor trails does just that also, with these subconcious anomalies.

Seriously after 30 odd years of being in the music business and just after the recent  events of Mr pearts , its highly likely these bad recording techniques are a reflection of the state the guys were at. Thats my perception of vapor trails, sonically and songwriting wise, and I enjoy the album all the more for these points.

There are plenty of other Rush albums to enjoy. :-)

Yes it does make it worse. Much worse. That's my point, but we will have to agree to disagree.

#54 goose

goose

Honkin' in Nevada

• Members *
  • 60084 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 10:32 AM

Using frequency overlap as a deliberate tool to sound grungy (or whatever descriptive term you want to use)obviously wasn't their intention initially because otherwise they wouldn't have felt the need for the remix.  
I I'm not certain that they felt the need for a remix.  But certainly many fans had expressed a desire for one, so why not capitali$e on it?

#55 condemned2bfree

condemned2bfree

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1822 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 10:38 AM

goose, on 17 April 2017 - 10:32 AM, said:

Using frequency overlap as a deliberate tool to sound grungy (or whatever descriptive term you want to use)obviously wasn't their intention initially because otherwise they wouldn't have felt the need for the remix.  
I I'm not certain that they felt the need for a remix.  But certainly many fans had expressed a desire for one, so why not capitali$e on it?

:goodone:

#56 TexMike

TexMike

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1401 posts
  • Interests:Music, photography, travel

Posted 17 April 2017 - 11:12 AM

If VT remix was brought about mainly from fan desire, we should've been inundating them with requests to remove the excess noise from CA for years now.

#57 goose

goose

Honkin' in Nevada

• Members *
  • 60084 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 11:42 AM

TexMike, on 17 April 2017 - 11:12 AM, said:

If VT remix was brought about mainly from fan desire, we should've been inundating them with requests to remove the excess noise from CA for years now.
I think there's far less a fan consensus on that album.

Odd that sound-wise, the last four albums went from pristine (T4E) to noisy (VT) to pristine (Snakes) back to noisy (Clockwork), and that the noisier albums are the more cohesive efforts.

#58 Texas King

Texas King

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1859 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 01:04 PM

I listened VT Remixed two days ago and it's good and it would get 6 points from me. But original is just plain bad - 2 points and overall it has to be 4 stars.

#59 grasbo

grasbo

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 916 posts
  • Interests:Music,playing guitar,collecting models,recording,football,cricket,op shopping,chilli,garlic,anchovies,wasabi,mustard,oysters,mussells,beer,war gaming,model railroading,positive people,goldfish

Posted 17 April 2017 - 04:20 PM

I can blast Neil Young's Shots from Reactor ten times over and not get a headache.Not possible with the original VT.
I am going to mention the cover/booklet.The whole feel/look seems like the work of third rate punk/metal band.It seems that the band both visually and soundwise wanted to grunge/punk/metal it all out.Nothing wrong with that but for me it didn't work. :finbar: Anyway it was back to crisp clear artwork on the next two.

#60 goose

goose

Honkin' in Nevada

• Members *
  • 60084 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 08:55 PM

grasbo, on 17 April 2017 - 04:20 PM, said:

I can blast Neil Young's Shots from Reactor ten times over and not get a headache.Not possible with the original VT.
I am going to mention the cover/booklet.The whole feel/look seems like the work of third rate punk/metal band.It seems that the band both visually and soundwise wanted to grunge/punk/metal it all out.Nothing wrong with that but for me it didn't work. :finbar: Anyway it was back to crisp clear artwork on the next two.
I thought the use of tarot cards was cool.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users