Rate the Rush album Vapor Trails

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

Poll: Rate the Rush album Vapor Trails (67 member(s) have cast votes)

Rate the Rush album Vapor Trails

1. 1/10 (5 votes [7.46%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.46%

2. 2/10 (1 votes [1.49%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.49%

3. 3/10 (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. 4/10 (1 votes [1.49%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.49%

5. 5/10 (6 votes [8.96%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.96%

6. 6/10 (9 votes [13.43%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.43%

7. 7/10 (16 votes [23.88%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 23.88%

8. 8/10 (15 votes [22.39%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 22.39%

9. 9/10 (6 votes [8.96%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.96%

10. 10/10 (8 votes [11.94%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.94%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 goose

goose

Honkin' in Nevada

• Members *
  • 58849 posts
  • Interests:Comical conies

Posted 15 April 2017 - 09:01 PM

View PostGeddysMullet, on 15 April 2017 - 07:56 PM, said:

10/10. The remix turned this album into one of my favourites.

It takes me to a healing place.
:goodone:

Sponsored Post

#22 goose

goose

Honkin' in Nevada

• Members *
  • 58849 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 09:05 PM

View PostLucas, on 15 April 2017 - 03:44 PM, said:

...there is a lack of tangible riffs and songwriting chops - after two songs, you've heard just about all they had to offer ...the songs just aren't fleshed out or developed .
I could copy and paste this to the A Farewell to Kings thread.

#23 vaportrailer

vaportrailer

The Professor

• Members
  • 4855 posts
  • Interests:music, reading, travel

Posted 15 April 2017 - 10:25 PM

View Postgoose, on 15 April 2017 - 02:33 PM, said:

I love it and think it's the most mature and heart-felt effort of their career.

What this guy said.

Between the original and remix, and cutting 2-3 songs as this bad boy is a little long for my ears, gotta give it a 10 for the amount of pleasure it's given me. NPs most raw and succinct performance. Top 5 Rush album for me!

#24 goose

goose

Honkin' in Nevada

• Members *
  • 58849 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 10:33 PM

View Postvaportrailer, on 15 April 2017 - 10:25 PM, said:

View Postgoose, on 15 April 2017 - 02:33 PM, said:

I love it and think it's the most mature and heart-felt effort of their career.

What this guy said.

Between the original and remix, and cutting 2-3 songs as this bad boy is a little long for my ears, gotta give it a 10 for the amount of pleasure it's given me. NPs most raw and succinct performance. Top 5 Rush album for me!

#25 The K Man

The K Man

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 787 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 10:55 PM

The performance is inspired, but for me, the album suffers not from the production, but the fact that there is a lack of tangible riffs and songwriting chops - after two songs, you've heard just about all they had to offer ..

It is easy to blame the sound/mix, but the songs just aren't fleshed out or developed ..

6/10

I agree with your main point, although I am still pretty high on Freeze, Vapor Trail, Earthshine and Nocturne.   There are glimpses of greatness in most of the other songs, but the arrangements are a bit clunky and some songs have great parts ruined by mediocre parts, like One Little Victory having that great into before going into those ugly verses.

#26 Leanne

Leanne

Rushaholic

• Members *
  • 1603 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 10:58 PM

I gave it an 8.  Definitely one of my favorites.

#27 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Beauty and the Bass

• Members
  • 21897 posts
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 16 April 2017 - 01:03 AM

1/10. Terrible. Noisy. Too much ear fatigue. Poorly recorded and the remix just made the crap more transparent.

Edited by EagleMoon, 16 April 2017 - 01:05 AM.

#28 Babycat

Babycat

Party Animal

• Members *
  • 82372 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 04:59 AM

10/10.

#29 Your_Lion

Your_Lion

Professor Gumby

• Members
  • 64685 posts
  • Interests:All I ever really wanted to do was play the guitar 'n bend the string like "Reent-toont-teent-toont-teenooneenoonee"

Posted 16 April 2017 - 05:28 AM

The performance is inspired, but for me, the album suffers not from the production, but the fact that there is a lack of tangible riffs and songwriting chops - after two songs, you've heard just about all they had to offer ..

It is easy to blame the sound/mix, but the songs just aren't fleshed out or developed ..

6/10
That pretty much sums up my feelings, too. Except I gave it a 5

#30 grasbo

grasbo

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 877 posts
  • Interests:Music,playing guitar,collecting models,recording,football,cricket,op shopping,chilli,garlic,anchovies,wasabi,mustard,oysters,mussells,beer,war gaming,model railroading,positive people,goldfish

Posted 16 April 2017 - 06:14 AM

If this had been done by another band i would have shelved it and most likely wouldn't have played it again(i don't sell or bin my cds,so there is a lot crap in my collection).However it was Rush and it was a long wait so it was important.There were songs that stood out  like Vapour Trail and Earthshine but the rest had a grungy,noisy sameness about it.And the production,mastering or what ever it was.I didn't see any amazing musicianship.I know a guitar solo is not compulsory to a song but it could have added some colour to the wall of noise.I actually filed it next to St.Anger,Metal Machine Music and King Crimson's Earthbound.Gradually it came together and when the remix came out a lot of things started to make sense and i actually liked comparing the two.But still some of the songwriting is poor.I can quite happily sit all the way through TFE but not VT.6/10

Edited by grasbo, 16 April 2017 - 06:48 AM.

#31 yyz305

yyz305

The Seeker

• Members
  • 147 posts
  • Interests:Music
    Cricket

Posted 16 April 2017 - 06:43 AM

10/10. Prefer the original to the remix. I listen to this album (in its entirety) more than any of the others

#32 Segue Myles

Segue Myles

Cupcake Warrior

• Members
  • 34126 posts
  • Interests:Lacuna Coil
    Paradise Lost
    Nightwish
    HIM
    The Gathering
    Within Temptation
    Sonata Arctica
    Machine Head
    Mastodon
    Trivium
    Metallica
    Jimmy Eat World
    The Juliana Theory
    Bruce Springsteen

Posted 16 April 2017 - 06:46 AM

View Postyyz305, on 16 April 2017 - 06:43 AM, said:

10/10. Prefer the original to the remix. I listen to this album (in its entirety) more than any of the others

Same!!!

#33 Blue J

Blue J

Official SOCN Designated Driver

• Members *
  • 17917 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 08:19 AM

I used to despise this album. Time evidently healed some prejudice I held about it, which I don't hold anymore.

I wouldn't say it's among their very best, but I will give it a 7.

#34 lifeson90

lifeson90

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1219 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 08:25 AM

Original easy 10/10

Remixed  goddamn awful 3/10  (although OLV better)

#35 condemned2bfree

condemned2bfree

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1772 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 09:57 AM

Its one of their best albums for songwriting.

When Rush mix emotion with objective lucid observations, under the foundation of great melodies and playing, not many come close to them, in the rock world.

There are many Rush albums where I can say, well "they" sound similar. With Vapor trails, I cannot think of an album that matches its earnest emotion, and conveys it so well. Vapor trails wears its heart on its sleeve, and communicates great emotive songs, with conviction.

9/10

#36 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

The Ghost Rider

• Members *
  • 31806 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 10:40 AM

View Postgrasbo, on 16 April 2017 - 06:14 AM, said:

If this had been done by another band i would have shelved it and most likely wouldn't have played it again(i don't sell or bin my cds,so there is a lot crap in my collection).However it was Rush and it was a long wait so it was important.There were songs that stood out  like Vapour Trail and Earthshine but the rest had a grungy,noisy sameness about it.And the production,mastering or what ever it was.I didn't see any amazing musicianship.I know a guitar solo is not compulsory to a song but it could have added some colour to the wall of noise.I actually filed it next to St.Anger,Metal Machine Music and King Crimson's Earthbound.Gradually it came together and when the remix came out a lot of things started to make sense and i actually liked comparing the two.But still some of the songwriting is poor.I can quite happily sit all the way through TFE but not VT.6/10
After reading your post I was surprised to see you gave it a 6. It reads like the number you'd give would be a 3 or 4. Just sayin'

#37 grasbo

grasbo

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 877 posts
  • Interests:Music,playing guitar,collecting models,recording,football,cricket,op shopping,chilli,garlic,anchovies,wasabi,mustard,oysters,mussells,beer,war gaming,model railroading,positive people,goldfish

Posted 16 April 2017 - 04:09 PM

I gave it a 6 because the remix opened up things from the wall of noise original.Also i paid attention to the lyrics more because i wasn't distracted by the noise.Don't worry i like grunge,extreme death metal to Neil Young's noisiest moments but the original was for the most of it grating and lacked the light and shade of other albums

Edited by grasbo, 16 April 2017 - 04:12 PM.

#38 goose

goose

Honkin' in Nevada

• Members *
  • 58849 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 09:45 PM

View Postcondemned2bfree, on 16 April 2017 - 09:57 AM, said:

Its one of their best albums for songwriting.

When Rush mix emotion with objective lucid observations, under the foundation of great melodies and playing, not many come close to them, in the rock world.

There are many Rush albums where I can say, well "they" sound similar. With Vapor trails, I cannot think of an album that matches its earnest emotion, and conveys it so well. Vapor trails wears its heart on its sleeve, and communicates great emotive songs, with conviction.

9/10

#39 diatribein

diatribein

The Seeker

• Members
  • 390 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 10:28 PM

LOUD and Keyboardless. I liked it a little better when it came out, but the more time passes the more I feel grated by everything about this album. The singles are all wrong too, which doesn't help. I just end up comparing it to the beautiful perfection that was My Favourite Headache (that came out two years prior) with it majestic songwriting, well placed synths and overall quality and Vapor Trails can't compete. The least the label could have done is release it as Vapour Trails for the Canadian market like Anthem had done with Geddy's album! I can't even reference the damn thing without spelling it incorrectly! The whole thing is wrong.

#40 Lucas

Lucas

Leave That Wrench Alone

• Members
  • 11952 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 10:44 PM

View Postgoose, on 15 April 2017 - 09:05 PM, said:

...there is a lack of tangible riffs and songwriting chops - after two songs, you've heard just about all they had to offer ...the songs just aren't fleshed out or developed .
I could copy and paste this to the A Farewell to Kings thread.

oh c'mon goose, like it or not, the diversity on A Farewell is there in spades

Cygnus and Xanadu are about as perfectly fleshed out as any songs ever ... Closer To The Heart ??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users