Rush debut vs March '74

JohnnyBlaze

Rush debut vs March 1974  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these is your favorite March '74 release?

• Aerosmith - Get Your Wings
    • Camel - Mirage
    • Rush - Rush
    • Abba - Waterloo
    • Three Dog Night - Hard Labor
    • Queen - Queen II
    • Chicago - Chicago VII
    • Smokey Robinson - Pure Smokey
    • Cat Stevens - Buddha and the Chocolate Box
    • Elvis Presley - Good Times
    • Frank Zappa - Apostrophe
    • Eagles - On the Border
    • Weather Report - Mysterious Traveller
    • Earth, Wind, & Fire - Open Our Eyes
    • Mott the Hoople - The Hoople
    • King Crimson - Starless and Bible Black
    • The Delfonics - Alive and Kicking
    • Buffy Sainte-Marie - Buffy
    • Freddie Hart - Hang in There Girl
    • The Hollies - Hollies
    • Kansas - Kansas
    • The Spinners - Mighty Love
    • Steeleye Span - Now We Are Six
    • Maggie Bell - Queen of the Night
    • Bob Seger - Seven
    • Grandfunk Railroad - Shinin' On
    • Boz Scaggs - Slow Dancer
    • Peter Frampton - Somethin's Happening
  2. 2. If you were "the man" at the time of the '74 recordings, would you have replaced 2 of the tracks on the debu with Fancy Dancer and Garden Road?

• No. All the songs on the debut are better than Fancy Dancer and Garden Road.
    • Just one. I would've replaced (x) with Fancy Dancer.
    • Just one. I would've replaced (x) with Garden Road.
    • Yes. I would've replaced (x) and (y) with Fancy Dancer and Garden Road.

I like the debut album a lot. Great songs. But Queen II is a masterpiece album, RUSH is not.

And I do not want to replace any songs, I say, just add Fancy Dancer and Garden Road. It would have been enough space on the record for both of these 2 great songs.

as much as I enjoy Queen II, I never understood it being a masterpiece. Are you thinking 'Masterstoke' instead? (Queen 2 joke)

I find Sheer Heart Attack more consistent and enjoyable than Queen 2. The debut also rocks.

While Funny How Love, Loser In The End, and Some Day One Day aren't really the greatest things Queen ever did (though I enjoy them a lot anyway), the rest of the album more than makes up for the few inconsistencies. It's a masterpiece of Queen being a prog rock group, really finding their sound, and sounding like absolutely nothing else ever. Second fav Queen album for me, SHA a close fourth.

Just my take on it. Sounds like a great discussion for the Queen thread! :D

I choose QII. Though GYW would also beat the debut.

Funny, I like those songs! Never really got into the half-baked mini-epics on side 2, although the musicianship and production were really good.

I guess I can see why people would call this a Prog album. Side 1 (er, side white) rules! :LOL:

I like the debut album a lot. Great songs. But Queen II is a masterpiece album, RUSH is not.

And I do not want to replace any songs, I say, just add Fancy Dancer and Garden Road. It would have been enough space on the record for both of these 2 great songs.

"Add" wasn't an option big guy.

I'm trying to get you guys to make a tougher choice than just "add" which is the easy way out.

I say this to your poll, and make my own one: :moon:

Zumbi eagerly drops his drawers for JBs poll...

Now I've seen everything. Or have seen enough that I care to...

Ellipses

• Like 1

I'm trying to get you guys to make a tougher choice than just "add" which is the easy way out.

Ellipses

http://comicattack.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/85452-165133-professor-x_super.jpg

It was my mind control mind game mental bullying manipulation techniques that made him do that.

• Like 2

as much as I enjoy Queen II, I never understood it being a masterpiece. Are you thinking 'Masterstoke' instead? (Queen 2 joke)

I find Sheer Heart Attack more consistent and enjoyable than Queen 2. The debut also rocks.

While Funny How Love, Loser In The End, and Some Day One Day aren't really the greatest things Queen ever did (though I enjoy them a lot anyway), the rest of the album more than makes up for the few inconsistencies. It's a masterpiece of Queen being a prog rock group, really finding their sound, and sounding like absolutely nothing else ever. Second fav Queen album for me, SHA a close fourth.

Just my take on it. Sounds like a great discussion for the Queen thread! :D

I choose QII. Though GYW would also beat the debut.

Funny, I like those songs! Never really got into the half-baked mini-epics on side 2, although the musicianship and production were really good.

I guess I can see why people would call this a Prog album. Side 1 (er, side white) rules! :LOL:

Oh, lol yeah. If the prog stuff is what you're not so keen on, I can't really help you there. If you dig it, it's perfect. If you don't, well that would be you so I'm sure you're quite well aware of your own opinion on it. :P

I do like the debut but I'm going to vote for Kansas in this poll. I still like it a lot and still listen to it quite a bit but with the debut I don't. Hard to compare something like Death of Mother Nature Suite or Journey From Mariabronn to Take a Friend or Need Some Love. Edited by EagleMoon

ABBA- Waterloo for me

Then Kansas- Kansas

• Like 1

ABBA- Waterloo for me

Then Kansas- Kansas

Are you a fan of Doctor Who? There's an episode during the David Tennant years that is just hilarious. It involves this guy that's a big Abba fan getting involved in an adventure trying to find The Doctor.

Queen II > The rest of 1974

I would have replaced Here Again with Garden Road. I don't like Fancy Dancer at all, but the whole debut album is extremely weak. Second only to Feedback as RUSH's worst album. Queen II is one of the best albums of all time and my second favourite Queen album behind Jazz. Side Black is just perfect. My goodness, it is the best bunch of Freddy songs grouped together of all time. The first time I heard the second side of that album I was memorized. Unbelievably awesome. Nothing else in 1974 comes close.

I thought this would be my first vote against Rush (I guess I'll have to wait for 1984, 85, 87, 89, or 93 polls), but the other albums just weren't strong enough.

I voted for Garden Road, thinking it could replace either Need Some Love or Take a Friend, but I'm not so sure about that.

I don't like Rush debut at all, it's fake, immature and forgettable Rush.

Queen II is easily my fave from the list, Apostrophe and Get Your Wings are runners-up.

I think I would put at least Get Your Wings ahead of the Rush debut. Apostrophe can at least compete, if not surpass the debut (and this makes me want to check out Chicago VII to see how it stacks up).

Ellipses

http://comicattack.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/85452-165133-professor-x_super.jpg

It was my mind control mind game mental bullying manipulation techniques that made him do that.

I'm now starting to understand those erections that last more than 4 hours