Rush debut vs March '74

JohnnyBlaze

Rush debut vs March 1974  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these is your favorite March '74 release?

• Aerosmith - Get Your Wings
    • Camel - Mirage
    • Rush - Rush
    • Abba - Waterloo
    • Three Dog Night - Hard Labor
    • Queen - Queen II
    • Chicago - Chicago VII
    • Smokey Robinson - Pure Smokey
    • Cat Stevens - Buddha and the Chocolate Box
    • Elvis Presley - Good Times
    • Frank Zappa - Apostrophe
    • Eagles - On the Border
    • Weather Report - Mysterious Traveller
    • Earth, Wind, & Fire - Open Our Eyes
    • Mott the Hoople - The Hoople
    • King Crimson - Starless and Bible Black
    • The Delfonics - Alive and Kicking
    • Buffy Sainte-Marie - Buffy
    • Freddie Hart - Hang in There Girl
    • The Hollies - Hollies
    • Kansas - Kansas
    • The Spinners - Mighty Love
    • Steeleye Span - Now We Are Six
    • Maggie Bell - Queen of the Night
    • Bob Seger - Seven
    • Grandfunk Railroad - Shinin' On
    • Boz Scaggs - Slow Dancer
    • Peter Frampton - Somethin's Happening
  2. 2. If you were "the man" at the time of the '74 recordings, would you have replaced 2 of the tracks on the debu with Fancy Dancer and Garden Road?

• No. All the songs on the debut are better than Fancy Dancer and Garden Road.
    • Just one. I would've replaced (x) with Fancy Dancer.
    • Just one. I would've replaced (x) with Garden Road.
    • Yes. I would've replaced (x) and (y) with Fancy Dancer and Garden Road.

The debut kicked off on March 1st, 1974. Given all the TRF comments about the debut being "a Led Zepp knockoff", "not really Rush without Peart", etc., will it come out on top here?

http://cygnus-x1.net/links/rush/images/scans/broadcaster-playlist-05.1974.jpg

Edited by JohnnyBlaze
  • Like 2

I don't like Rush debut at all, it's fake, immature and forgettable Rush.

Queen II is easily my fave from the list, Apostrophe and Get Your Wings are runners-up.

The immature and forgettable angles I can understand, though I disagree. But how is it fake?

Edited by JohnnyBlaze
  • Like 2

I don't like Rush debut at all, it's fake, immature and forgettable Rush.

Queen II is easily my fave from the list, Apostrophe and Get Your Wings are runners-up.

The immature and forgettable angles I can understand, though I disagree. But how is it fake?

Here fake means not real, not original and for me it's a band Rush before 1975 and The Professor.

The debut of course, though closely followed by King Crimson.

(And great as Waterloo is, there are a couple of dull ones on there.)

Voted to keep the debut as is. As much as I love Garden Road, I couldn't think of which tune I'd swap out for it The debut is fine, fun, and most importantly, it rawks!

The original line up, accept no substitutes! :LOL:

• Like 1

I like the debut album a lot. Great songs. But Queen II is a masterpiece album, RUSH is not.

And I do not want to replace any songs, I say, just add Fancy Dancer and Garden Road. It would have been enough space on the record for both of these 2 great songs.

• Like 2

I like the debut album a lot. Great songs. But Queen II is a masterpiece album, RUSH is not.

And I do not want to replace any songs, I say, just add Fancy Dancer and Garden Road. It would have been enough space on the record for both of these 2 great songs.

as much as I enjoy Queen II, I never understood it being a masterpiece. Are you thinking 'Masterstoke' instead? (Queen 2 joke)

I find Sheer Heart Attack more consistent and enjoyable than Queen 2. The debut also rocks.

• Like 1

"Add" wasn't an option big guy.

I'm trying to get you guys to make a tougher choice than just "add" which is the easy way out.

• Like 1

PS: as a Canadian I must applaud if not laud the inclusion of Buffy St. Marie.

JB, you really go above and beyond for some of these!

:cheers:

I have to admit, one of the reasons I went with this poll of "Rush vs. March '74" is because nobody can complain the all familiar tunes "JB, you left out (x)!", "You forgot (x)!", or "Where's (x)?". These albums were all I found listed for March '74. So the bitchings will have to take a different shape. ;)

More polls are coming! Look out for 'em! :blaze:

• Like 1

I love the debut album. Weather Report, Chicago, and definitely King Crimson put out better ones that month, I think. But that statement is not meant to put down Rush's debut at all.

And no, I would leave it just as it is- don't replace anything. Fancy Dancer and Garden Road are great riffs, nice rock n' roll songs, but I wouldn't replace anything on the first album with them. (Besides, hey, they're two of the very few 'unreleased' songs in the Rush canon).

• Like 1

I'm trying to get you guys to make a tougher choice than just "add" which is the easy way out.

I say this to your poll, and make my own one: :moon:

I say this to your poll, and make my own one: :moon:

Nobody's stopping you.

It doesn't surprise me though that you'd take the easy way out and say "add" or "both" or "all".

Edited by JohnnyBlaze

Get Your Wings.

This was my intro into Aerosmith. The guys down the hall in my college dorm played GYW a lot so I really got into it.

That was a great thing about college dorms in the 70's, and I'm sure it's the same today. You could go room to room on a 'party' night and get introduced to new bands/albums.

Garden Road.

• Like 1

Get Your Wings.

This was my intro into Aerosmith. The guys down the hall in my college dorm played GYW a lot so I really got into it.

That was a great thing about college dorms in the 70's, and I'm sure it's the same today. You could go room to room on a 'party' night and get introduced to new bands/albums.

I love Get Your Wings as well.

I really like the debut. When it came out I was blown away and listened to it all the time. That being said, Get Your Wings got just as much of my listening time. Fast forward to the present and I listen to GYW a lot more than the debut

as much as I enjoy Queen II, I never understood it being a masterpiece. Are you thinking 'Masterstoke' instead? (Queen 2 joke)

I find Sheer Heart Attack more consistent and enjoyable than Queen 2. The debut also rocks.

While Funny How Love, Loser In The End, and Some Day One Day aren't really the greatest things Queen ever did (though I enjoy them a lot anyway), the rest of the album more than makes up for the few inconsistencies. It's a masterpiece of Queen being a prog rock group, really finding their sound, and sounding like absolutely nothing else ever. Second fav Queen album for me, SHA a close fourth.

Just my take on it. Sounds like a great discussion for the Queen thread! :D

I choose QII. Though GYW would also beat the debut.

• Like 1

The Debut wins this, and it's not even close .. I love it, and I would love it even more if Garden Road was on instead of Take A Friend ..

http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/rush/images/albums/rush-cover-s.jpg

• Like 2