26 replies to this topic

#21 TFEman

TFEman

The Seeker

• Members
  • 346 posts
  • Interests:Rush, guitar, drums, tv, food

Posted 14 April 2017 - 06:12 PM

I have an amp switcher for clean parts of songs and if I wanna throw a clean layer on top of a dirt sound. The catch is that if the pickups aren't split on my guitar, it sounds really bad and the clean amp comes in way too loud. I forget to slpit the pickups sometimes. Also with the switcher, I can't tell which channel it's on when I double it up so if I forget what channel it was set to before I double it up I may accidentally switch to the wrong channel.

Sponsored Post

#22 Alien Girl

Alien Girl

Rushaholic

• Members *
  • 1831 posts
  • Interests:Interests?...I have no interests...I'm not an interesting person. Very one dimensional...like cardboard...or toast.

Posted 15 April 2017 - 06:02 PM

OK, maybe not in the same vein as your guys'...I don't play in a band.  But technically I was up on stage...

Rushcon 2014

Forgot the opening lyrics to Closer to the Heart while up on stage playing the lyric karaoke game, in front of a couple hundred people.  

In my defense, I'd never sung solo in front of an audience before, never done karaoke before, and this was one of the first songs they gave me...my mind just went blank.  I mean, who the hell forgets the words to Closer to the Heart?! It's the one song other than maybe Tom Sawyer or The Spirit of Radio that's marked indelibly on a Rush fans' mind!  But what can I say, my mind just went blank.  Totally and completely blank.  I did better the farther into the game I got...won second place.  But it would've been sweeter in I hadn't forgot the opening lyrics of that particular song.  Still makes me cringe thinking about it.

#23 Entre_Perpetuo

Entre_Perpetuo

Queenmaster

• Members
  • 3540 posts
  • Interests:QueenRushMuseYeah! Oh and MtG.

Posted 16 April 2017 - 12:28 AM

First solo acoustic performance.

Started with an acappella intro to Some Nights by fun. Realized I was in the wrong key and had to give up on the song. Then tried to switch off to Help by The Beatles, again couldn't find the right key in the moment.

Struggled the urge to give up as I conceded to playing through Good Riddance (The Time Of Your Life) by Green Day since I knew I couldn't screw that one up. A couple songs later I'd regained enough confidence from the audience's reaction I played an original I'd recently finished, and they really enjoyed it.

#24 Del_Duio

Del_Duio

The Professor

• Members
  • 4378 posts
  • Interests:Computer Programming, Bass, Drums, some guitar but I suck

--

Try my new retro action RPG game "Just a Cleric" on Steam! http://store.steampowered.com/app/467330/

Posted 17 April 2017 - 10:29 AM

Oh it was terrible..

It was back when I was either 19 or 20 (in the early-mid 90s) and we were going to do a gig at a town hall benefit. We practiced for weeks for the show and were really ready for it. Then for whatever reason during the soundcheck I decided to whip out my 6 string bass because A) It was brand new and B) It was very cool-looking and I wanted to show off because I was a young idiot and there were hot chicks there.

HUGE MISTAKE

I hadn't properly practiced enough with it on the side, and due to my screw ups it also made me screw up many of my vocals where I'd forget lines and etc. On top of that I'd often apologize to whatever semblance of the audience that we had at various points in the show.

After the show, the guitarist's dad told me that you should NEVER apologize to your audience- as not only does it look like amateur hour many people won't notice small mistakes even if you do. The only thing good to come out of that show was this piece of advice, which I still carry with me to this day.

Edited by Del_Duio, 17 April 2017 - 10:37 AM.

#25 Del_Duio

Del_Duio

The Professor

• Members
  • 4378 posts

--

Try my new retro action RPG game "Just a Cleric" on Steam! http://store.steampowered.com/app/467330/

Posted 17 April 2017 - 10:32 AM

View Post1-0-0-1-0-0-1, on 12 April 2017 - 10:23 AM, said:

^^^ Ouch.

My band had a big gig, Friday night in our high school auditorium. Big stage, full lighting rig, full house, people actually paying for tickets, the whole deal. As big time as a high school garage band could get.

Someone was nice enough to sneak up onstage and de-tune the D string on my guitar right before show time. Curtain goes up, intro music finishes (Firebird Suite -- fancy!), and I kick off the opening power chords to Boston's "Rock and Roll Band"...but instead of hearing that nice and heavy B-major, we hear a very dissonant BLAGHFRAPPG!!! My first thought was I was playing it wrong, but I wasn't. The guys in the band all gave me the WTF? look, and my look in return was, "I have no f*cking idea."

We got through the song with me trying to retune on the fly. Rest of the show went pretty well, though.

Holy shit, high school is hard enough without SABOTAGE!

#26 Del_Duio

Del_Duio

The Professor

• Members
  • 4378 posts

--

Posted 17 April 2017 - 10:36 AM

View PostrushfanNlv, on 14 April 2017 - 02:56 PM, said:

I was in 8th grade and playing bass in a high school talent show.  We had two songs: Breaking the Law and an original tune.  During the drum break down in breaking the law I managed to step on my cable and pull it out of the amp jack.  Got it all fixed before the next song started but in the chaos, I must have hit the headstock on something and took my E string down a few steps.  Started the next song out of tune.

Oh DUDE I feel ya!

This is one of the things I did before as well, though luckily it was just at a practice and not a show. That's why I always take the cable and kind of wrap it around the guitar strap before plugging it in even now. If somebody steps on the cable, it'll pull at the strap and not at the jack.

#27 TFEman

TFEman

The Seeker

• Members
  • 346 posts
  • Interests:Rush, guitar, drums, tv, food

Posted 19 April 2017 - 12:48 PM

I got another one. It's not live, but when I drum, my edrums are always being triggered. They're so sensitive. I always forget to mute them when I don't need them. If I was playing live, that wouldn't be a major thing but would be quite annoying. Also going with the stepping on cables thing, I do that a lot too.

Edited by TFEman, 19 April 2017 - 12:48 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users