Caress of Steel VS Roll the Bones?

Texas King

Caress of Steel VS Roll the Bones?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Caress of Steel VS Roll the Bones?

Caress of steel is some flawed, undercooked genius.

Roll the bones is some flawed, overcooked elevator music.

• Like 3

I think both albums are lower tier Rush albums and admirable failures. With that said, I think half of Roll the Bones is very good. I'd take "Dreamline", "Bravado", "Ghost of a Chance" and "Where's My Thing?" over almost all of Caress of Steel. Heck, I even like "The Big Wheel".
  • Like 3

Roll The Bones is a superb album with 7 absolutely wonderful tracks while Caress Of Steel is RUSH still figuring out how to write good songs and occasionally thinking they are going bald and necromancing while drinking from the The Fountain Of Lamneth and failing terribly. I am being honest here when I say there are only two songs I ever listen to on Caress Of Steel. A full 36:13 of the 45:02 is unlistenable to me. There are just 3 songs I never listen to on Roll The Bones and even those I like better than the parts of Caress Of Steel I do not like. All this 70s prejudice is so boring. Edited by diatribein
  • Like 2

All this 70s prejudice is so boring.

It's not 70's prejudice. I love loads of 90's albums. I adore Counterparts.

I just don't enjoy Roll the Bones all that much. There are a handfull of songs I do like, but even they sound a mile better when played live.

• Like 4

I just don't enjoy Roll the Bones all that much. There are a handfull of songs I do like, but even they sound a mile better when played live.

I don't understand how it's prejudice if we genuinely like (x) more than (y). Counterparts is their best 90s album IMHO. Very good album with maybe just a couple on there that I don't care for.

diatribein, are you being prejudice because you like that 90s album more than the 70s one? Probably not. As my guess, you just happen to like it more.

• Like 1

I don't understand how it's prejudice if we genuinely like (x) more than (y). Counterparts is their best 90s album IMHO. Very good album with maybe just a couple on there that I don't care for.

diatribein, are you being prejudice because you like that 90s album more than the 70s one? Probably not. As my guess, you just happen to like it more.

Check out the numbers in these polls.

RTB vs Counterparts vs T4E...

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?/topic/90513-roll-the-bones-vs-counterparts-vs-test-for-echo/page__hl__%2Bcounterparts+%2Broll+%2Bbones

RTB vs Counterparts...

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?/topic/96358-roll-the-bones-vs-counterparts/

I was referring to the general sentiment of this board, not to either of you specifically. There is definitely more good will toward anything 70s on this board. Do you disagree?

MP isn't a 70s record and it's considered by many to be the best one Rush ever did. Are Rush fans supposed to force themselves to like all their albums equally? It's not like people who prefer the 70s work formed their opinion by just looking at the back of each album cover to see what year it was recorded. They just prefer the style of music the band was playing on those records, which it's hard to argue was ever the same again after about 1982.

Edited by TexMike
  • Like 2

I was referring to the general sentiment of this board, not to either of you specifically. There is definitely more good will toward anything 70s on this board. Do you disagree?

It's because a lot of us are old farts. :codger:

• Like 1

Roll The Bones is a superb album with 7 absolutely wonderful tracks while Caress Of Steel is RUSH still figuring out how to write good songs and occasionally thinking they are going bald and necromancing while drinking from the The Fountain Of Lamneth and failing terribly. I am being honest here when I say there are only two songs I ever listen to on Caress Of Steel. A full 36:13 of the 45:02 is unlistenable to me. There are just 3 songs I never listen to on Roll The Bones and even those I like better than the parts of Caress Of Steel I do not like. All this 70s prejudice is so boring.

Your user name is appropriate ;-)

MP isn't a 70s record and it's considered by many to be the best one Rush ever did. Are Rush fans supposed to force themselves to like all their albums equally? It's not like people who prefer the 70s work formed their opinion by just looking at the back of each album cover to see what year it was recorded. They just prefer the style of music the band was playing on those records, which it's hard to argue was ever the same again after about 1982.

I know!

For me RUSH didn't start being a band worth really paying attention to until January 1st, 1980. If Permanent Waves had been their first album, I would have been more than happy. The stuff they did in the 70s ranges from very poor to good with a lot of terrible and boring mixed in as far as I'm concerned. The RUSH I know and love didn't come into existence until 1980. We're (and to be honest me vs. the majority of the others on this board) are just fans of a different band. 70s RUSH has very little to do with the music I like, as I am guessing that early 90s/late 80s RUSH has very little to do with the music you like. It just so happens that it is the same band who completely reinvented themselves in 1980 for, in my opinion, the better. Worth noting is that your band produced 6 albums while mine produced 10, with a 2 album transition period that everyone loves (I am leaving out Feedback for obvious reasons & Clockwork Angels because that was somewhat of a return to the music I dislike, but still not exactly like those 70s albums).

Either way, those 70s albums are in my collection because I am a completest. I mostly just listen to snippets of them and think about how much better RUSH would get just a few short years later. Caress of Steel has Lakeside Park & Bastille Day and nothing else worth listening to for me. My opinions on RUSH, Fly By Night, 2112, Hemispheres, and A Farewell To Kings are similar, although I do like A Farewell To Kings slightly more than the others. RUSH started producing music I love in 1980 and didn't stop churning out amazing record after amazing record until 1993. Even then, I still love Test For Echo and absolutely adore Snakes & Arrows. The other 2 are more up and down for me as they seem both very stuck in trend following (Counterparts trying to be grunge and Vapor Trails just being LOUD LOUD LOUD) and Clockwork Angels is just not good period.

So to answer your question, Permanent Waves (which you did not mention) and Moving Picture are universally loved because they both appeal to the 70s RUSH fans and the fans who think their later stuff is better. I'm willing to bet that the same fans who love 70s RUSH are the ones who think Red Barchetta, The Camera Eye, and YYZ are the best tracks on Moving Pictures. None of those are in my top three and the last two I actively dislike.

Edited by diatribein

I know!

For me RUSH didn't start being a band worth really paying attention to until January 1st, 1980. If Permanent Waves had been their first album, I would have been more than happy. The stuff they did in the 70s ranges from very poor to good with a lot of terrible and boring mixed in as far as I'm concerned. The RUSH I know and love didn't come into existence until 1980. We're (and to be honest me vs. the majority of the others on this board) are just fans of a different band. 70s RUSH has very little to do with the music I like, as I am guessing that early 90s/late 80s RUSH has very little to do with the music you like. It just so happens that it is the same band who completely reinvented themselves in 1980 for, in my opinion, the better. Worth noting is that your band produced 6 albums while mine produced 10, with a 2 album transition period that everyone loves (I am leaving out Feedback for obvious reasons & Clockwork Angels because that was somewhat of a return to the music I dislike, but still not exactly like those 70s albums).

Either way, those 70s albums are in my collection because I am a completest. I mostly just listen to snippets of them and think about how much better RUSH would get just a few short years later. Caress of Steel has Lakeside Park & Bastille Day and nothing else worth listening to for me. My opinions on RUSH, Fly By Night, 2112, Hemispheres, and A Farewell To Kings are similar, although I do like A Farewell To Kings slightly more than the others. RUSH started producing music I love in 1980 and didn't stop churning out amazing record after amazing record until 1993. Even then, I still love Test For Echo and absolutely adore Snakes & Arrows. The other 2 are more up and down for me as they seem both very stuck in trend following (Counterparts trying to be grunge and Vapor Trails just being LOUD LOUD LOUD) and Clockwork Angels is just not good period.

So to answer your question, Permanent Waves (which you did not mention) and Moving Picture are universally loved because they both appeal to the 70s RUSH fans and the fans who think their later stuff is better. I'm willing to bet that the same fans who love 70s RUSH are the ones who think Red Barchetta, The Camera Eye, and YYZ are the best tracks on Moving Pictures. None of those are in my top three and the last two I actively dislike.

Your free to have your opinion, just don't hate on everyone/anyone else's.

And for my money, I'm more of a fan of 70s music in general, but Signals, MP, PoW, and CA all blow Hemispheres out of the water.

And PeW is a seventies album :P ;)

I'd take Roll the Bones over A Farewell to Kings, but not Caress of Steel. Caress is one of my favorite RUSH albums.

Until I came on this board I could have never fathomed that there were RUSH fans who disliked Roll The Bones & Test For Echo this much. I went through life knowing that RUSH made a huge improvement to their songwriting and sound in 1980 and that all the albums since where better than the ones prior to that year. Strangely, I feel even less of a sense of community than before I ever logged on to the board. Anyway, despite this poll and how the 21 of you feel (it's just 21, so I actually shouldn't put very much stock in the voting), I remain unfazed. Nothing about what RUSH did in the 70s was better than what they would go on to do later, Roll The Bones included! Edited by diatribein