Caress of Steel VS Roll the Bones?

Texas King

Caress of Steel VS Roll the Bones?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Caress of Steel VS Roll the Bones?

Until I came on this board I could have never fathomed that there were RUSH fans who disliked Roll The Bones & Test For Echo this much. I went through life knowing that RUSH made a huge improvement to their songwriting and sound in 1980 and that all the albums since where better than the ones prior to that year. Strangely, I feel even less of a sense of community than before I ever logged on to the board. Anyway, despite this poll and how the 20 of you feel (it's just 20, so I actually shouldn't put very much stock in the voting), I remain unfazed. Nothing about what RUSH did in the 70s was better than what they would go on to do later, Roll The Bones included!

There's no reason to feel less of anything just because you've now seen more opinions...which have always existed anyway.

Check this: I still think Tom Sawyer is a brilliant piece of material, lyrically and musically. However, there are plenty of TRFers who think Tom Sawyer is just "okay", "overplayed", etc. But that's irrelevant to how the music affects me.

I think You Bet Your Life sucks. IMHO, it's either their worst tune or second worst ((Bravest Face might be #1)). The vocals on YBYL are fine but I don't like the rest of the music. And I really dislike the lyrics which remind me of Billy Joel's "We Didn't Start the Fire". But so what? If you get off on it then that's all that matters. :yes:

Being part of a community doesn't have to mean agreeing with everything. However, it does mean accepting that other opinions exist and will continue to do so. :cheers:

• Like 3

I probably listen to Caress Of Steel more than any other album.

I think I last listened to the Roll The Bones album (whole thing) in the 90's.

• Like 1

CoS.

Roll the bones is just........weak. some songs are good but the production is just ball-less

i still refer to it as Rush's girl group album.

Mick

Yes.

• Like 1

Until I came on this board I could have never fathomed that there were RUSH fans who disliked Roll The Bones & Test For Echo this much. I went through life knowing that RUSH made a huge improvement to their songwriting and sound in 1980 and that all the albums since where better than the ones prior to that year. Strangely, I feel even less of a sense of community than before I ever logged on to the board. Anyway, despite this poll and how the 20 of you feel (it's just 20, so I actually shouldn't put very much stock in the voting), I remain unfazed. Nothing about what RUSH did in the 70s was better than what they would go on to do later, Roll The Bones included!

Yo dude, don't let other people's opinions upset you. If you want, you can be the official unofficial TRF ambassador of RTB, like I am for AFTK (those are totally meaningless titles btw). You can love the nineties material and believe it to be unfathomable greater than the seventies material, that's totally fine. On the other hand, whoever so pleases can disagree with you and think that that's crazy talk, instead believing the seventies material to be waaaaaay better. That's also totally fine. The only not totally fine thing in this scenario is when people put others down for sharing their opinions, or acting like their opinions are superior to those of other members. You're beginning to come off a little that way, I suggest you stop.

Peace, Love, Rush :D

• Like 4

CoS.

Roll the bones is just........weak. some songs are good but the production is just ball-less

Mick

I thought that was Presto? :P

• Like 1

CoS.

Mick

Presto has one testicle. It's small, a bit shriveled up and dry, but it's there.

I agree with Mick in RTB being a sackless wonder.

:P

• Like 3

CoS.

Mick

Presto has one testicle. It's small, a bit shriveled up and dry, but it's there.

I thought you were talking about Lance Armstrong for a second there...

CoS.

Mick

I thought you were talking about Lance Armstrong for a second there...

Same thing

• Like 1

CoS.

Mick

Interesting. Presto has no bottom end at all. I think of it as Twiggy in album form.

• Like 2

CoS.

Mick

Interesting. Presto has no bottom end at all. I think of it as Twiggy in album form.

I guess that would make Primus' "Brown Album" Kim Kardashian? All bottom end and dirty and greasy.

:D

• Like 1

CoS.

Mick

I guess that would make Primus' "Brown Album" Kim Kardashian? All bottom end and dirty and greasy.

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/o74i8MNauUA/maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 2

CoS.

Mick

:LOL: but eww.

• Like 1

Until I came on this board I could have never fathomed that there were RUSH fans who disliked Roll The Bones & Test For Echo this much. I went through life knowing that RUSH made a huge improvement to their songwriting and sound in 1980 and that all the albums since where better than the ones prior to that year. Strangely, I feel even less of a sense of community than before I ever logged on to the board. Anyway, despite this poll and how the 21 of you feel (it's just 21, so I actually shouldn't put very much stock in the voting), I remain unfazed. Nothing about what RUSH did in the 70s was better than what they would go on to do later, Roll The Bones included!

So you'd say Hold Your Fire is better than Hemispheres? I agree that in 1980 they started to peak. Like most great bands that are around for a long time, it's only later in their career that you can see when that was. Similarly, it's only later that you can see when a band starts to step back from their peak. For me, Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures are two perfect albums. I probably prefer PeW, but so slightly it's really negligible. Signals was the first Rush album that wasn't as good as it's predecessor. It's my third favorite album of theirs, but it's not as good as MP. GUP was the first Rush album that had to grow on me, and I don't love it now. After that, I think they went through a fairly long spell (Power Windows through Test For Echo) of albums that were, at best, mediocre, and, at worst, Hold Your Fire.

Signals was the first Rush album that wasn't as good as it's predecessor.

I certainly couldn't agree with this, because 2112 is a masterwork - whereas AFTK is a lumpy old bag of manure.

• Like 1

Until I came on this board I could have never fathomed that there were RUSH fans who disliked Roll The Bones & Test For Echo this much. I went through life knowing that RUSH made a huge improvement to their songwriting and sound in 1980 and that all the albums since where better than the ones prior to that year. Strangely, I feel even less of a sense of community than before I ever logged on to the board. Anyway, despite this poll and how the 21 of you feel (it's just 21, so I actually shouldn't put very much stock in the voting), I remain unfazed. Nothing about what RUSH did in the 70s was better than what they would go on to do later, Roll The Bones included!

So you'd say Hold Your Fire is better than Hemispheres? I agree that in 1980 they started to peak. Like most great bands that are around for a long time, it's only later in their career that you can see when that was. Similarly, it's only later that you can see when a band starts to step back from their peak. For me, Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures are two perfect albums. I probably prefer PeW, but so slightly it's really negligible. Signals was the first Rush album that wasn't as good as it's predecessor. It's my third favorite album of theirs, but it's not as good as MP. GUP was the first Rush album that had to grow on me, and I don't love it now. After that, I think they went through a fairly long spell (Power Windows through Test For Echo) of albums that were, at best, mediocre, and, at worst, Hold Your Fire.

I'd say Hold Your Fire is Rush's best album. And Hemispheres is both overpraised and a bit poo.

So yeah, I can definitely side with the idea someone might have formed their own opinion before realising it isn't the "norm" to think that way.

Rush is a very diverse band and I think it's a testament to their craft that a fan can find favour in any one of their albums and still find themselves non-plussed by another.

As a Rush fan I don't get the hype this forum gives to Rush, Hemispheres or Clockwork Angels.

And in turn I've been mocked for loving HYF, Presto and Vapor Trails.

• Like 2

So you'd say Hold Your Fire is better than Hemispheres?

Of course I do!

I love 7 songs off Hold Your Fire and like two others. By contrast I love Circumstances and like The Trees. I don't really ever listen to Side A or the instrumental. As I have said, several times, I find RUSH's offerings from the 70s to be generally quite weak. There is no album that I absolutely adore and I mostly like 50% or less of each album. Hold your Fire is my 8th favourite RUSH album while Hemispheres is my 17th.

• Like 2

Of course I do!

I love 7 songs off Hold Your Fire and like two others. By contrast I love Circumstances and like The Trees. I don't really ever listen to Side A or the instrumental. As I have said, several times, I find RUSH's offerings from the 70s to be generally quite weak. There is no album that I absolutely adore and I mostly like 50% or less of each album. Hold your Fire is my 8th favourite RUSH album while Hemispheres is my 17th.

High five!

• Like 1

Of course I do!

I'd have to look up my posts in one of the many threads about ranking the Rush albums to know where they all fall, but I know Hold Your Fire is, by miles, my least favorite album of theirs. Caress of Steel probably checks in right ahead of it. I'd place Hemispheres probably around 5 or so. Side 2 is really the precursor to Permanent Waves.

I can understand thinking some of their early work is not their very best. I personally think it's exponentially better than what they eventually became though. As I've said, by the mid-80s, they became a band I no longer really had any interest in.

I'm a big fan of RTB and it righted a lot of the wrongs of the previous 5 albums, but it is still hit or miss. CoS usually sits atop my Rush album rankings, so it obviously wins this match-up.

I liked RTB when it first came out but it has not aged well with me. Not at all. Its certainly a lower tier Rush album. That being said, its better than CoS. Both have 2 song I enjoy (Bastile Day, Lakeside Park, Dreamline & Bravado). CoS has ITAGB which is sort of ok. The rest I don't like at all. RTB has a number of songs that are sort of ok and nothing bad (IMO) like CoS has.

So by default RTB gets my vote. Not that its a glowing endorsement however.