Alex says Rush Isn't Done

Ron2112

Rock and roll is all about energy - it's a force unlike anything else

And we've got the band, and we've got the fans - and the interaction between the two is as important as the initial creation ..

So at this point, why would any fan hope and hold their breath waiting for Neil Peart to change his mind ??

f**k him

Geddy and Alex love the band, they love each other and they love bringing the music to the fans

I have no interest in seeing or hearing any musician who has to be coerced or convinced to play

Get some enthusiastic kid back there and make it enjoyable again

Exactly. Well, not exactly --- I don't think it has to be "a kid". Just someone who'd be enthusiastic to work with Lee & Lifeson...which would be tons of talented drummers young and old.

You know how it is though Lucas --- many TRFers don't even think the debut album is Rush despite it being Rush.

Rush with Neil, Rush without Neil, no Rush but just Lee & Lifeson with another drummer...I'm open to all of the possibilities if they ever happen.

oh, but it wouldn't be the same without Neil

But it wouldn't be the same with him either ... This is not 1977 or 1985 or even 2015

Just as 2112 was not the same as Moving Pictures which was not the same as Power Windows, creating music ( or any art for that matter ) is exactly that : creating and not remaining idle ..

The more I find out about Geddy and Alex, the more I love them

It is the opposite with Neil ... I'd actually be disappointed at this point if he were involved ... He's a god damn wet blanket

Edited by Lucas

I just got finished listening to the interview all the way through, twice. It is about 13 min. long. Only about the last three minutes are Alex talking about Rush, future related projects, etc. I'll see if I can transcribe that part and put it up tomorrow.

I don't mean to be Debbie Downer but I didn't get any big impression that Alex believed that Rush would be doing things in the future. I think that RIAB is being pretty optimistic. It was more like Marc Goodman was asking about the future of Rush; first about touring - Alex said the party line, "Most likely we will not tour again" and said he was grieving for a year but figured 41 years was a pretty good run; and then Marc Goodman asked if Rush was totally over and Alex kind of diplomatically said, "Oh, we will be doing things together again," but he didn't name anything and then when asked about Neil, made it sound like he hadn't been in touch with him for ages. Alex was more specific about the fact that he has been doing a lot of work on his own and may release some of it online.

He also talked about some of the same old, and some new- the RRHOF is cool once you are in it; they know John McEnroe from way back. He also has done some new stuff with the Trailer Park Boys and knows Snoop Dogg now because of that (apparently Snoop Dogg works with them a lot as well, who knew?) and there will be an anniversary AFTK package coming out this year but it was the record company's idea, not theirs.

• Like 2

And we've got the band, and we've got the fans - and the interaction between the two is as important as the initial creation ..

So at this point, why would any fan hope and hold their breath waiting for Neil Peart to change his mind ??

f**k him

Geddy and Alex love the band, they love each other and they love bringing the music to the fans

I have no interest in seeing or hearing any musician who has to be coerced or convinced to play

Exactly. Well, not exactly --- I don't think it has to be "a kid". Just someone who'd be enthusiastic to work with Lee & Lifeson...which would be tons of talented drummers young and old.

You know how it is though Lucas --- many TRFers don't even think the debut album is Rush despite it being Rush.

Rush with Neil, Rush without Neil, no Rush but just Lee & Lifeson with another drummer...I'm open to all of the possibilities if they ever happen.

But it wouldn't be the same with him either ... This is not 1977 or 1985 or even 2015

Just as 2112 was not the same as Moving Pictures which was not the same as Power Windows, creating music ( or any art for that matter ) is exactly that : creating and not remaining idle ..

It is the opposite with Neil ... I'd actually be disappointed at this point if he were involved ... He's a god damn wet blanket

UHHH. Don't forget, or try to imagine what the man has lost in his life throughout the years.

f**k him

I was with you until your last blip on Neil. I wouldn't be disappointed if Neil were involved. I'd be pleased since he wouldn't be doing it unless he wanted to do it.

Without Neil...

One drummer who I think would be likely IF he could slide it into his schedule is the veteran (though not yet geezer) rock drummer Matt Cameron. Geddy and Alex respect him and vice versa. He's already worked with Geddy on My Favorite Headache + the hard rock background obviously helps. I'm not saying he's the best around but he might be the best FOR Geddy & Alex given the things I just stated.

• Like 2

Kind of scanty info to base an "I told you" on.

Not when you consider that I was saying "I told you" on the return as far back as two years ago.......

Nope, not even then.

Alex has said a lot of stuff that didn't come to pass. A lot.

Still salty from them not playing "Jacob's Ladder" on the SnA tour? Name one other thing Alex has said that didn't come to pass.

Still salty from them not playing "Jacob's Ladder" on the SnA tour? Name one other thing Alex has said that didn't come to pass.

In the Rush in Rio documentary, he said in the press conference that they were going to "make airplanes out of beef." Did that ever come to fruition? No.

• Like 3

In the Rush in Rio documentary, he said in the press conference that they were going to "make airplanes out of beef." Did that ever come to fruition? No.

:LOL: :LOL:

• Like 1

I have mixed feelings about more music from them, either solo or together. Geddys voice is shot but he can still definitely play. Alex's playing has gone downhill. He made more mistakes during R40 than I've ever heard him do before. Neil obviously isn't interested in playing anymore. There comes a time when sometimes it's just better to stop.
  • Like 3

I just hope I get to see at least one of the three members performing live in some way again.

Neil is free to live his retirement as he chooses. I just hope Geddy and Alex get back on their respective stages again, since they've vocalized wanting that to continue being a part of their lives. Has anyone heard an "I miss the stage" quote from Neil since July 2015?

• Like 1

Your link also brought me to rushisaband.com for the first time in a year plus. I used to excitedly get on that site frequently. And check Neil's for story updates. How the times have changed...

(I used to jokingly call it 'rushisdefinitelyaband.com')

Edited by That One Guy
  • Like 1

I haven't heard the interview but what I take from it is that Ged and Al are in semi regular contact with one another, and that Al hasn't heard from Neil at all. It sounds like Al and Ged plan on writing some stuff at some point soon, and that's cool. But when I take into account Neils comments from the TSS doc, and that there's been no word from Ged on his plans (beyond the bass book), that at this point, its a stretch to confidently say that Rush (with Neil on drums) will record material any time soon. Edited by Phantom
  • Like 1

In the quotes in Ultimateguitar.com, he says "emphatically that Rush as a band is not over." Yes, it's Al and Geddy working together but I get the feeling it's not just cheap talk. I know they said anything without the three of them would not be Rush, but maybe they assume that Neil has removed himself from the equation. That said Geddy's voice is shot so maybe they could write something different to mitigate the stress on him. Also to relieve Al's arthritis which affects his hands. I live in hope but they're getting old for this stuff.
  • Like 1

Hope is good as long as it doesn't turn into pressure. I watched Geddy Lee andAlex play at the RRHOF and they looked like they were both happy to be playing again.

I have a coin jar set aside in case they do a limited tour again, but I'm not holding my breath

• Like 1

I do not really care anymore... I do not really listen to Rush anymore. I haven't done so in months...

And besides, if they started touring again, I doubt they would come to Europe. They did not come here on their R40 Tour (Fuc.k you guys for not coming here!). In Europe Rush was done after the Clockwork Angels Tour.

No matter what they do now, they are a dead band....

I do not really care anymore... I do not really listen to Rush anymore. I haven't done so in months...

You're waiting for new vinyl offerings???

• Like 1

And besides, if they started touring again, I doubt they would come to Europe. They did not come here on their R40 Tour (Fuc.k you guys for not coming here!). In Europe Rush was done after the Clockwork Angels Tour.

No matter what they do now, they are a dead band....

lol

Without Neil...

One drummer who I think would be likely IF he could slide it into his schedule is the veteran (though not yet geezer) rock drummer Matt Cameron. Geddy and Alex respect him and vice versa. He's already worked with Geddy on My Favorite Headache + the hard rock background obviously helps. I'm not saying he's the best around but he might be the best FOR Geddy & Alex given the things I just stated.

I would be down with that.

Please please please, not Mike Portnoy.... I know he's an uber-fan and can play more subtly, but ... no.

• Like 1

Unless they have materal ready to go or are just restless, they're not going to record anything. I might be wrong, but there's no incentive to do that without touring. And they all have so many interests outside the band. Basically it would be a lot of work for very little - what 60-something star wants to do that?

Now, instead of full tours, why not mini-residencies? Like 2-3 nights at Radio City Music Hall. 2 at Air Canada Centre. 2 at Red Rocks. 2 in LA. And space them, say, a month apart. Maybe the logistics would not work - the crew would be a wild card. Maybe their music is simply too tough to just go in cold and do that. They're not 25.

Hell, they could call it Rush; The Radio Hits of the Spirit of the Airwaves or something fun and catchy like that. Play a 12 song show with a local opener.

I miss them.

Edited by upstateNYfan
  • Like 1

* waddles into kitchen * Hey honey!...Carrie!! My ice!! Hello! The donut!?!?! It won't jump into my mouth by itself!!

Sorry Snuggles I was on the phone with Geddy.

Who? Oh right...that other guy at work. * wincing * You didn't tell him I'm here did you? You know how I don't like human interaction. Makes me nervous and hungry. Social anxiety and all that.

Don't worry Luv Dumplin' I told him you were busy instructing Mosbach to chase down that man who looked at our yard as he drove by.

* relieved look...sips macallan * shew! For a minute there I thought I was going to have to...no! Let us not speak of it!

* ponders glass of macallan *...Mosbach?

• Like 1