Grace Under Pressure vs 1984 vs Ride the Lightning

JohnnyBlaze

Ride the Lightning vs Grace Under Pressure vs 1984  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these 1984 releases do you like the most?

• Metallica - Ride the Lightning
    • Rush - Grace Under Pressure
    • Van Halen - 1984
  2. 2. Which of these would you give a grade of an A- or higher?

Which of these albums from 1984 is your favorite?

Rank them.

Before someone posts that I might've forgotten an album or two or three, I didn't forget Bon Jovi, Slide It In, Out of the Cellar, Stay Hungry, Under Wraps, The Warning, etc. I like some, others I think suck.

I only included RTL and 1984 because they're the only two from that year that I think MIGHT outvote GUP.

I'm voting Grace and have the order this way:

1) Grace

2) Lightning

3) 1984

:hail:

• Like 2

Wow, you come up with some interesting polls, JB. :clap:

I actually go...

1. 1984

2. Ride

3. GUP

The first is my fav VH album and the 2nd my fav Metallica album, so I had to put Rush in last. Not easy for me as GUP would make my Rush Top 10.

• Like 2

I dig Grace Under Pressure today as much as I did when it came out. I don't tolorate Metallica as well as I used to. 1984 has some sell out stank to it.
  • Like 1

Van Halen wins this one. Grace Under Pressure has some great tracks (Kid Gloves, Afterimage, Distant Early Warning, Between the Wheels) but a few clunkers (Red Lenses, The Body Electric, The Enemy Within)drag it down. 1984 meanwhile is Van Halen at their peak!

RTL

GUP

An easy win for Metallica here with their exceptional sophomore release...GUP is a fine album, don't get me wrong, as is 1984, but neither of them is in that class.

• Like 1

Ride is one of two Metallica albums that I actually can listen to, 1984 is something that has fallen off the radar for me, and as much as I rag on Rush's 80s stuff, Grace has aged well with me - I like it better now than ever ..

- Grace Under Pressure

- Ride The Lightning

Before someone posts that I might've forgotten an album or two or three, I didn't forget Bon Jovi, Slide It In, Out of the Cellar, Stay Hungry, Under Wraps, The Warning, etc. I like some, others I think suck.

I would take Slide It In over 1984 by a fair margin any time of week.

p/g is basically the average Rush album by my rankings, and I find on average Rush trumps Metallica and Van Halen pretty much every time. So...

p/g

RtL

I do like RtL a lot, but I haven't gotten into it as much as 1984.

Make a poll for Slide It In vs 1984 and watch Whitesnake get their asses kicked 85-90% to 10-15%. You don't want to see that and neither do I (and I don't even like Whitesnake).

From 1984, I also like Jethro Tull's Under Wraps and Queensryche's The Warning but BOTH would get murdered vs Grace Under Pressure. It doesn't matter if I like an album/band/song or not when I make these polls. I'm going for what I think will be the best possible fight in the poll itself.

Now we're talking! Nice job, JB!

Gerbil Under Pressure

Rat the Lightning

Picture of Food

Scorpions

Red Barchetta

Orwell book (audio version read by David Lee Roth)

Here's some Back to the Future predictanumbery for you you lunatic...

Currently there are 21 votes with these results:

RtL: 6

GUP: 10

1984: 5

I just returned from traveling back in time. I was talking to myself right after I made this thread (but before anyone voted or posted). Pre-thread JB predicted the first 21 votes would go this way:

RtL: 7

GUL: 7

1984: 7

I told him/me that he/I would be wrong so he/I didn't post that Lucky 7 first 21 votes guess.

:smoke:

Make a poll for Slide It In vs 1984 and watch Whitesnake get their asses kicked 85-90% to 10-15%. You don't want to see that and neither do I (and I don't even like Whitesnake).

From 1984, I also like Jethro Tull's Under Wraps and Queensryche's The Warning but BOTH would get murdered vs Grace Under Pressure. It doesn't matter if I like an album/band/song or not when I make these polls. I'm going for what I think will be the best possible fight in the poll itself.

OK, Blaze I get your point. But this poll is too short - only 3 choices. I would definitely include popular albums as Powerslave, Love at First Sting, The Last in Line and Defenders of the Faith in this poll.

OK, Blaze I get your point. But this poll is too short - only 3 choices. I would definitely include popular albums as Powerslave, Love at First Sting, The Last in Line and Defenders of the Faith in this poll.

I'm not even sure any of those 4 would've even beaten 1984, the 3rd place album here. And I REALLY like Love at First Sting!

As far as the poll being too short, I already addressed that with -- I don't think other albums would've fared well vs GUP. Make another poll if you'd like to try it out.

Besides, how can this poll be too short with 3 options when most of your polls have just two choices? Nothing wrong with it and I like polls but I don't see how this one is too short especially given what I've already said about how I thought voting would go with other albums not represented here.

Check out the very one-sided victories and the number of options in these threads:

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?/topic/102546-rush-and-black-sabbath-clash/

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?/topic/102559-deep-purple-and-rush-song-knockout/

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?/topic/102397-by-tor-the-snow-dog-vs-heart-of-the-sunrise/

Nothing wrong with them. And it's not a knock on any of those other bands' great tunes but this is TRF.

So no way would Powerslave win a poll vs GUP on this board. No way.

I'm not even sure any of those 4 would've even beaten 1984, the 3rd place album here. And I REALLY like Love at First Sting!

As far as the poll being too short, I already addressed that with -- I don't think other albums would've fared well vs GUP. Make another poll if you'd like to try it out.

Besides, how can this poll be too short with 3 options when most of your polls have just two choices? Nothing wrong with it and I like polls but I don't see how this one is too short especially given what I've already said about how I thought voting would go with other albums not represented here.

Check out the very one-sided victories and the number of options in these threads:

http://www.therushfo...-sabbath-clash/

http://www.therushfo...-song-knockout/

http://www.therushfo...of-the-sunrise/

Nothing wrong with them. And it's not a knock on any of those other bands' great tunes but this is TRF.

OK. In this poll out of metal albums you included Ride the Lightning, but not Powerslave which beat out Ride by far in one of my earlier polls. Take a look:

http://www.therushfo...-vs-powerslave/

Edited by Texas King
  • Like 1

OK. In this poll out of metal albums you included Ride the Lightning, but not Powerslave which beat out Ride by far in one of my earlier polls. Take a look:

Well, you got me there. That's for sure. It really took down RTL!

But do you think it would've beat GUP? I didn't. You can find out by making another poll to see what happens.

I think my next thread will be a super mega burger deluxe option poll. Since I've already done vs polls from GUP all the way to T4E, I think I'm going to travel back in time. But the 2112-Signals era doesn't bode well for other bands. Let's see what happens though.

:hail:

• Like 1