Hold Your Fire vs 1987

JohnnyBlaze

Hold Your Fire vs 1987  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these 1987 releases is your favorite?

• The Joshua Tree - U2
    • Appetite for Destruction - Guns N' Roses
    • Document - R.E.M.
    • A Momentary Lapse of Reason - Pink Floyd
    • Hold Your Fire - Rush

document.

Crest Of A Knave was the same week iirc. Grammy winner.

Only reason I didn't include Tull is because I didn't think anyone would vote for it.

Crest would've gotten a vote from me. Excellent album.

I hear you. I just don't think a poll is worth it if it's a total blow out...and I think Crest would've gotten its ass kicked.

But I knew Appetite would get plenty of votes and put up a strong fight...and I don't even like that album.

Dammit, Blaze! Can't you do a poll right? (Thatswhathesaid) You obviously spend far too much time harassing people on here, like a rat terrier or some damn thing.

First off, this poll needs more Red Barchetta. Come on!!!!!

Secondly, it obviously needs every album from 1987 listed in alphabetical order to achieve maximum satisfaction among minimum participants.

Lastly, this poll needs more food pics.

Lastly, this poll needs more happy. Wait, did I say that already?

Helpfully, across the miles; vt

Ps: 1987 was my fave Orwell sequel, next to Animal Farms, and Burmese Dayses.

• Like 1

document.

Only reason I didn't include Tull is because I didn't think anyone would vote for it.

I hear you. I just don't think a poll is worth it if it's a total blow out...and I think Crest would've gotten its ass kicked.

But I knew Appetite would get plenty of votes and put up a strong fight...and I don't even like that album.

Dammit, Blaze! Can't you do a poll right? (Thatswhathesaid) You obviously spend far too much time harassing people on here, like a rat terrier or some damn thing.

Secondly, it obviously needs every album from 1987 listed in alphabetical order to achieve maximum satisfaction among minimum participants.

I stopped reading after "rat terrier". The comparison made was Rottweiler rat. A terrier would be a step up.

• Like 1

Going with...

1) HYF...the last Rush album in which I don't have any complaints whatsoever...this includes the last two tracks

2) document...possibly my favorite R.E.M. album; It's a tough call with this, Life's Rich Pageant, and Murmur

3) A Momentary Lapse of Reason...the last PF studio album that I liked

4) The Joshua Tree...more nostalgia and good memories tied to this than me actually liking it all that much. It's not bad but if I lost my copy I wouldn't immediately run out and get another

5) Appetite...spindly maggot on vocals. Appetite's influence on rock music at the time? Yeah, I know. I still pass.

• Like 1

document.

I stopped reading after "rat terrier". The comparison made was Rottweiler rat. A terrier would be a step up.

Ah, all that was just a vehicle for my bad Orwell sequels. Hey, that kinda rhymed...

Btw, wtf is a Rottweiler rat? Probably looks like Steve Howe.

https://goo.gl/images/7fJA06

• Like 1

PS: nice to see REM in a poll! They can't all be about the Scorpions.

...or can they?

80s REM pre-Green (well, half of Green anyway) deserves all the praise they can get.

I'm occasionally in the mood for some fork-in-the-eyes-straight jacket Scorpions but I can listen to Murmur, Life's Rich Pageant, and Document any day of the week.

• Like 3

document.

Ah, all that was just a vehicle for my bad Orwell sequels. Hey, that kinda rhymed...

http://goo.gl/images/7fJA06

This is what I see when I look in the mirror:

http://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/64/84/47/64844782a1201566a80fce5a9013eac5.jpg

A rat's a rat from Nome to Rome, boy

• Like 1

document.

https://goo.gl/images/7fJA06

Rottweilerabout

Edited by JohnnyBlaze

Saw PF on Momentary Lapse of Reason tour and it was one of the most boring concerts I've ever been to, next to seeing drunken John Cale trying to open for Pere Ubu.

It seemed that every bit of spontaneity was rehearsed and polished until the fun, spark, and excitement were gone.

Despite getting to see Rick Wright, it was a very disappointing experience, although the sound was excellent.

Almost saw REM around the same time. I was working for a record store, and one of the label reps left some tix for me at the box-office, only I had no idea what name he had them under, because it sure wasn't mine! I even had a date for the show. Being a poor record store employee, I paid for my date's ticket (she was a BIG fan) and then promptly had no money left in my wallet. Wished her well, and went home. I blame REM personally for my loss of money, time, and date. :P

• Like 1

It's hard to argue with Appetite for Destruction. It's one of the greatest albums of all-time!

21 out of the 29 voters don't even think it's the best off this list.

I dislike Guns N' Roses but I thought it'd be much closer to first place than it is currently.

• Like 1

Inspired by your Signals vs. 1982 poll, here is my personal 1987 Top 20:

01. Def Leppard - Hysteria

02. Rush - Hold Your Fire

03. Disneyland After Dark - D.A.D. Draws a Circle

04. Andy Taylor - Thunder

05. TigerTailz - Young And Crazy

06. The Psychedelic Furs - Midnight To Midnight

07. Twisted Sister - Love is For Suckers

08. The Cult - Electric

09. White Lion - Pride

10. Kiss - Crazy Nights

11. Aerosmith - Permanent Vacation

12. Guns N' Roses - Appetite for Destruction

13. Alice Cooper - Raise Your Fist and Yell

14. Faster Pussycat - Faster Pussycat

15. Ace Frehley - Frehley' s Comet

16. Helloween - Keeper of the Seven Keys Part I

17. Depeche Mode - Music For the Masses

18. Whitesnake - Whitesnake

19. Helix - Wild In The Streets

20. Mötley Crüe - Girls Girls Girls

Edited by diatribein
  • Like 3

Wow. Hold Your Fire, the worst album on this list by miles, has more votes than all the others combined.

Appetite is in the running for best album ever. Joshua is one of two essential U2 albums.

Hold Your Fire ended my relationship with Rush for years.

• Like 3

Inspired by your Signals vs. 1982 poll, here is my personal 1987 Top 20:

01. Def Leppard - Hysteria

02. Rush - Hold Your Fire

03. Disneyland After Dark - D.A.D. Draws a Circle

04. Andy Taylor - Thunder

05. TigerTailz - Young And Crazy

06. The Psychedelic Furs - Midnight To Midnight

07. Twisted Sister - Love is For Suckers

08. The Cult - Electric

09. White Lion - Pride

10. Kiss - Crazy Nights

11. Aerosmith - Permanent Vacation

12. Guns N' Roses - Appetite for Destruction

13. Alice Cooper - Raise Your Fist and Yell

14. Faster Pussycat - Faster Pussycat

15. Ace Frehley - Frehley' s Comet

16. Helloween - Keeper of the Seven Keys Part I

17. Depeche Mode - Music For the Masses

18. Whitesnake - Whitesnake

19. Helix - Wild In The Streets

20. Mötley Crüe - Girls Girls Girls

You've got some great albums in there, esp Andy Taylor's "Thunder" ... I love that one

• Like 2

It's hard to argue with Appetite for Destruction. It's one of the greatest albums of all-time!

I dislike Guns N' Roses but I thought it'd be much closer to first place than it is currently.

And Joshua Tree, another seminal late 80's album, has only one vote. :LOL:

RUSH fans are loyal.

• Like 3

And Joshua Tree, another seminal late 80's album, has only one vote. :LOL:

RUSH fans are loyal.

I wouldn't call myself a U2 fan but the first 15 minutes of that album (or however long the first 3 tracks are) should be able to muster up at least 3 votes. I mean hell, it's better than 2.63% IMHO. :LOL:

However, TRF has spoken! :LOL:

• Like 2

Hysteria and Appetite are the only true classics, the rest are average albums by great bands