What's your current favourite TV show?

IwillchooseFreeWill

I'm really interested in what you like on North American TV. We get a sampling of whatever gets picked up by local networks. I don't watch much free-to-air because it's dominated by reality TV which I loathe. So I watch a lot of our equivalent of cable, Foxtel. I loved Westworld. I'm really liking Legion. Both series were ones where I said "WTF?" at the end of each episode. I like cop shows and mysteries but don't like zombies. I like scifi and not romantic drivel. Tell me what to look out for. I'm willing to buy DVDs if it's the only way I can watch something (like Battlestar Gallactica).

I quite enjoy American Horror Story

It's rubbish but in that enjoyable way that you can't help but get hooked on.

Better Call Saul - This is a spinoff and prequel to the show Breaking Bad. It's about the main lawyer in Breaking Bad before he goes into business with the main characters from that show. Probably best that you watch Breaking Bad first.

Bates Motel - Have you ever seen the movie Psycho? Well this is a modern day take on Norman Bates and it covers the events that lead up to what happened in the movie. It's currently airing its last season. Just top notch writing and acting from start to finish. It really dives deep into Norman's mental illness and his disturbing relationship with his mother.

Vikings - This airs on the History channel and it's fifth season will air some time this year. It covers characters and various other stuff from Viking lore. Great acting, writing, visual effects and battle scenes.

Edited by J2112YYZ

The treeduck Show...this week on the show we do documentary expose on Segue Myles who turns out to be a clown-footed good-for-nothing varlet! A dumbfounded blackguard and bounderly Jack of knaves! A vulgar card-cheating wretch, a scrote, a spalpeen and an out and out rapscallion! :joker:
  • Like 2

The Americans - FX - Cold War 80's era Russian spy couple integrated in American culture. Just a great show with smart writing. Easy to get hooked on. All the past seasons (5-6?) are on dvd. Current season is airing now on Tuesday nights.
  • Like 1

The treeduck Show...this week on the show we do documentary expose on Segue Myles who turns out to be a clown-footed good-for-nothing varlet! A dumbfounded blackguard and bounderly Jack of knaves! A vulgar card-cheating wretch, a scrote, a spalpeen and an out and out rapscallion! :joker:

And?

And?

Well in the end you couldn't quit smoking and ended up smoking through a hole in your throat!

There are only two shows that are currently in production that I try not to miss, and those are Outlander and Game of Thrones.

The Middle because the family on that show is a lot like my own. It's a lot like the show Malcolm In The Middle.

I should have mentioned I don't like horror in general. I get scared really easily-- the intro music is enough to make me hide. I miss Breaking Bad. I love Outlander too. GoT turned me off with the gore. I love The Americans but it's not on here at the moment. Our seasons don't match yours because the networks control when they want to show things. Amazon doesn't let me watch cuz I'm outside the US. I'm greatly upset the the treeduck show hasn't been picked up here because it sounds like a lot of fun

Better Call Saul - This is a spinoff and prequel to the show Breaking Bad. It's about the main lawyer in Breaking Bad before he goes into business with the main characters from that show. Probably best that you watch Breaking Bad first.

Bates Motel - Have you ever seen the movie Psycho? Well this is a modern day take on Norman Bates and it covers the events that lead up to what happened in the movie. It's currently airing its last season. Just top notch writing and acting from start to finish. It really dives deep into Norman's mental illness and his disturbing relationship with his mother.

Two great shows!

I highly recommend Hannibal. Cancelled now but 3 seasons, 36(?) episodes. Oh you don't like horror? The gore is mostly kept to minimum and is very artfully shown. It has a lot of surreal qualities, Legion's makers acknowledge Hannibal as a visual influence. Edited by Rushian King

Three of my favorite shows premier next week:

Better Call Saul: probably the best thing on TV now. I like this shows tempered pacing and beautiful cinematography. I actually think it is a better show than Breaking Bad, with more relatable characters, more down to Earth storytelling, and a much more conservative pace.

Fargo: I can't get enough of the loving caricature of Minnesotans that the Cohen bros inspired dark comedy paints. The anthology format of this show leaves me looking for connections and clues, at the same time, never leaving me too wedded to any of its sideways characters individually.

Angie Tribeca: a ridiculous side splitting comedy in the style of The Naked Gun, Airplane, or any other Leslie Nielsen spoof from the 80s and 90s; Angie Tribeca packs more jokes into a half hour of TV than you will find anywhere else. Each episode is relentless, with layers upon layers of hidden references, terrible puns and sight gags. In an era where TV is oft too cynical and too emotionally draining; it's nice to have a show that brings a native levity to the table.

Edited by KenJennings