• 17415 posts
  • Interests:stuff

Posted 10 February 2018 - 08:24 AM

View PostTransverse Leaf Spring, on 09 February 2018 - 08:05 PM, said:

View PostTony R, on 24 April 2017 - 10:54 AM, said:

View PostNew World Kid, on 11 April 2017 - 06:48 PM, said:

Avoid Mac.
Avoid MSI.

Given those are the only two brands of laptop I've ever owned, and had troubles with both that I think are unusual... I'd steer clear.

I've never had an issue with my MacBook pro but both Mac and MSI tend to be expensive. MSI tend to make gaming laptops so they would be overkill.

ASUS are fantastic value, HP tend to be decent as are Dell. Get an Intel processor unless the laptop comes with AMD's Ryzen processor (which is unlikely as they are very new).

Without naming your budget it is very difficult to say.

$300-$400 will get you an i3 processor.
$400-$600 will get you an i5 processor.

You are probably better looking for the best value with the most ram. 4gb is at the lower end these days and ideally you should be looking at 6gb to 16gb.
For video and photo editing you'll want lots of space, so a hard drive of 750gb - 1tb is a must.
My budget changed so I could spend more. I got a Dell Inspiron 17, Core i7 8550U processor, 16GB memory, 2 TB hard drive, NVIDIA  GeForce MXI150 2GB graphic card. Decent to eventually get back to video editing?

Absolutely. I’d be wanting to test video editing out ASAP otherwise your not going to get value for all that power just surfing and doing emails.

Sponsored Post

#22 JohnRogers

JohnRogers

Holy Tai Shan!!!

• Members *
  • 26664 posts
  • Interests:American Muscle/Sports cars, Movies, New York City Subway, Cigar Lounges

Posted 10 February 2018 - 10:56 AM

View PostTony R, on 10 February 2018 - 08:24 AM, said:

Avoid Mac.
Avoid MSI.

Given those are the only two brands of laptop I've ever owned, and had troubles with both that I think are unusual... I'd steer clear.

I've never had an issue with my MacBook pro but both Mac and MSI tend to be expensive. MSI tend to make gaming laptops so they would be overkill.

ASUS are fantastic value, HP tend to be decent as are Dell. Get an Intel processor unless the laptop comes with AMD's Ryzen processor (which is unlikely as they are very new).

You are probably better looking for the best value with the most ram. 4gb is at the lower end these days and ideally you should be looking at 6gb to 16gb.
For video and photo editing you'll want lots of space, so a hard drive of 750gb - 1tb is a must.
My budget changed so I could spend more. I got a Dell Inspiron 17, Core i7 8550U processor, 16GB memory, 2 TB hard drive, NVIDIA  GeForce MXI150 2GB graphic card. Decent to eventually get back to video editing?

Absolutely. I’d be wanting to test video editing out ASAP otherwise your not going to get value for all that power just surfing and doing emails.
I’m on my iPad now. I opened a tab on Microsoft Edge to log on The Rush Forum and I got a Star Trek style Red Alert for Trojan Horse.

#23 Tony R

Tony R

Prog Archivist

• Members *
  • 17415 posts
  • Interests:stuff

Posted 10 February 2018 - 03:59 PM

View PostTransverse Leaf Spring, on 10 February 2018 - 10:56 AM, said:

View PostTony R, on 10 February 2018 - 08:24 AM, said:

Avoid Mac.
Avoid MSI.

I’m on my iPad now. I opened a tab on Microsoft Edge to log on The Rush Forum and I got a Star Trek style Red Alert for Trojan Horse.
Use Chrome or Firefox.

#24 snowdogged

snowdogged

Ultimate Time-Killing Sig

• Members *
  • 4935 posts
  • Interests:Yo momma

Posted 14 February 2018 - 10:46 PM

Avoid Mac.
Avoid MSI.

The specs sound very good but from my experience it is best to read as many reviews as you can on laptops. No matter how good the specs sound, almost every company will occasionally have models that have performance issues (Usually overheating problems.). If a  laptop overheats it will not perform well no matter what the specs.

Edited by snowdogged, 14 February 2018 - 10:47 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: #PubicLice, Vista Cruiser Baby!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users