• 17570 posts
  • Interests:stuff

Posted 10 February 2018 - 08:24 AM

View PostTransverse Leaf Spring, on 09 February 2018 - 08:05 PM, said:

View PostTony R, on 24 April 2017 - 10:54 AM, said:

View PostNew World Kid, on 11 April 2017 - 06:48 PM, said:

Avoid Mac.
Avoid MSI.

Given those are the only two brands of laptop I've ever owned, and had troubles with both that I think are unusual... I'd steer clear.

I've never had an issue with my MacBook pro but both Mac and MSI tend to be expensive. MSI tend to make gaming laptops so they would be overkill.

ASUS are fantastic value, HP tend to be decent as are Dell. Get an Intel processor unless the laptop comes with AMD's Ryzen processor (which is unlikely as they are very new).

Without naming your budget it is very difficult to say.

$300-$400 will get you an i3 processor.
$400-$600 will get you an i5 processor.

You are probably better looking for the best value with the most ram. 4gb is at the lower end these days and ideally you should be looking at 6gb to 16gb.
For video and photo editing you'll want lots of space, so a hard drive of 750gb - 1tb is a must.
My budget changed so I could spend more. I got a Dell Inspiron 17, Core i7 8550U processor, 16GB memory, 2 TB hard drive, NVIDIA  GeForce MXI150 2GB graphic card. Decent to eventually get back to video editing?

Absolutely. I’d be wanting to test video editing out ASAP otherwise your not going to get value for all that power just surfing and doing emails.

Sponsored Post

#22 JohnRogers

JohnRogers

Holy Tai Shan!!!

• Members *
  • 28028 posts
  • Interests:American Muscle/Sports cars, Movies, New York City Subway, Cigar Lounges

Posted 10 February 2018 - 10:56 AM

View PostTony R, on 10 February 2018 - 08:24 AM, said:

Avoid Mac.
Avoid MSI.

Given those are the only two brands of laptop I've ever owned, and had troubles with both that I think are unusual... I'd steer clear.

I've never had an issue with my MacBook pro but both Mac and MSI tend to be expensive. MSI tend to make gaming laptops so they would be overkill.

ASUS are fantastic value, HP tend to be decent as are Dell. Get an Intel processor unless the laptop comes with AMD's Ryzen processor (which is unlikely as they are very new).

You are probably better looking for the best value with the most ram. 4gb is at the lower end these days and ideally you should be looking at 6gb to 16gb.
For video and photo editing you'll want lots of space, so a hard drive of 750gb - 1tb is a must.
My budget changed so I could spend more. I got a Dell Inspiron 17, Core i7 8550U processor, 16GB memory, 2 TB hard drive, NVIDIA  GeForce MXI150 2GB graphic card. Decent to eventually get back to video editing?

Absolutely. I’d be wanting to test video editing out ASAP otherwise your not going to get value for all that power just surfing and doing emails.
I’m on my iPad now. I opened a tab on Microsoft Edge to log on The Rush Forum and I got a Star Trek style Red Alert for Trojan Horse.

#23 Tony R

Tony R

Prog Archivist

• Members *
  • 17570 posts
  • Interests:stuff

Posted 10 February 2018 - 03:59 PM

View PostTransverse Leaf Spring, on 10 February 2018 - 10:56 AM, said:

View PostTony R, on 10 February 2018 - 08:24 AM, said:

Avoid Mac.
Avoid MSI.

I’m on my iPad now. I opened a tab on Microsoft Edge to log on The Rush Forum and I got a Star Trek style Red Alert for Trojan Horse.
Use Chrome or Firefox.

#24 snowdogged

snowdogged

Ultimate Time-Killing Sig

• Members *
  • 5138 posts
  • Interests:Yo momma

Posted 14 February 2018 - 10:46 PM

Avoid Mac.
Avoid MSI.

The specs sound very good but from my experience it is best to read as many reviews as you can on laptops. No matter how good the specs sound, almost every company will occasionally have models that have performance issues (Usually overheating problems.). If a  laptop overheats it will not perform well no matter what the specs.

Edited by snowdogged, 14 February 2018 - 10:47 PM.

#25 blueschica

blueschica

What the Puck?

• Members
  • 7351 posts
  • Interests:Camping, gardening, muscle cars, NASCAR, Rush!

Posted 13 October 2018 - 12:33 AM

Bumping this thread- :bump:

I'm looking for recommendations for an inexpensive laptop ($600-900) for my elderly parents.  They will not be doing gaming;  will be doing mostly Facebook and email and photos.  They have a large desktop which they keep upstairs (not a lot of room for it downstairs)  so I'm trying to find a laptop they can use downstairs. (My dad has open heart surgery pending so trying to consolidate stuff to one floor.)  The bigger screen the better due to eyesight, but I realize for that budget they're not gonna get a huge Mac Pro.  

I appreciate all the suggestions already made in this thread; I just didn't know if there was anything new I should know about.  Thanks!

#26 treeduck

treeduck

Tenacious T

• Members *
  • 88020 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 01:16 PM

I just got a HP Envy 17. It's good.

#27 blueschica

blueschica

What the Puck?

• Members
  • 7351 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 01:55 PM

View Posttreeduck, on 14 October 2018 - 01:16 PM, said:

Thanks, duck!  I see there are some on Amazon for $750.00-800.00.  It looks like this might be a good one!  It's always good to know that someone has one and likes it.

Laptop getting lots of use while you watch Judas Priest concerts I'll bet!  ;)   ;)

#28 treeduck

treeduck

Tenacious T

• Members *
  • 88020 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 02:32 PM

View Postblueschica, on 14 October 2018 - 01:55 PM, said:

Thanks, duck!  I see there are some on Amazon for $750.00-800.00.  It looks like this might be a good one!  It's always good to know that someone has one and likes it.

Laptop getting lots of use while you watch Judas Priest concerts I'll bet!  ;)   ;)
Aye!

I got this one because it's one of the few with a DVD drive. It's also got good spec in terms of processor, ram, video and graphics cards, and It's got a HD 17.3 screen, a backlit keyboard, Bang & Olufsen sound, 1 TB hard drive with 16 MB opane etc etc.

#29 blueschica

blueschica

What the Puck?

• Members
  • 7351 posts

Posted 16 October 2018 - 12:40 PM

View PostJohnRogers, on 09 February 2018 - 08:05 PM, said:

Avoid Mac.
Avoid MSI.

How are you liking your Dell Inspiron?  My sister is looking at one and wondering how they are.

#30 Turbine Freight

Turbine Freight

Many Happy Returns

• Members *
  • 7569 posts

Posted 16 October 2018 - 02:35 PM

Aren't they very expensive?

#31 treeduck

treeduck

Tenacious T

• Members *
  • 88020 posts

Posted 16 October 2018 - 02:59 PM

View PostTurbine Freight, on 16 October 2018 - 02:35 PM, said:

Aren't they very expensive?
About £1000

#32 JohnRogers

JohnRogers

Holy Tai Shan!!!

• Members *
  • 28028 posts
  • Interests:American Muscle/Sports cars, Movies, New York City Subway, Cigar Lounges

Posted 16 October 2018 - 07:49 PM

View Postblueschica, on 16 October 2018 - 12:40 PM, said:

Avoid Mac.
Avoid MSI.

How are you liking your Dell Inspiron?  My sister is looking at one and wondering how they are.
I’m not really impressed.

#33 blueschica

blueschica

What the Puck?

• Members
  • 7351 posts

Posted 16 October 2018 - 08:28 PM

View PostJohnRogers, on 16 October 2018 - 07:49 PM, said:

View Postblueschica, on 16 October 2018 - 12:40 PM, said:

Avoid Mac.
Avoid MSI.

I’m not really impressed.
Thanks, I wish it were awesome for you but good to know. Sounds like I should tell her to look at treeduck's HP as well.

#34 Mr. JD

Mr. JD

Rushaholic

• Members *
  • 1982 posts
  • Interests:Professional Photographer

Posted 16 October 2018 - 08:54 PM

Get them an iPad. My 89 year old anti tech mother even figured it out. Perfect for Facebook, email and photos. Almost no maintenance , almost no rebooting, no virus problems, and it just works.

I recently bought a Microsoft Surface laptop. Excellent computer. A touchscreen PC with the build quality of a Mac. Best laptop I’ve ever owned. By far.

Edited by Mr. JD, 16 October 2018 - 08:58 PM.

#35 Fridge

Fridge

The Freezable Fridge™

• Members *
  • 10227 posts
  • Interests:Being a covers band hack
    hillwalking
    Just about anything in the great outdoors

Posted 18 October 2018 - 05:04 AM

Well I wouldn't give Apple the steam off my shite on principle.....

To be honest, you can use pretty much any Microsoft laptop then just turn all the crap off that you don't need via msconfig. and it will run like lightning.

#36 treeduck

treeduck

Tenacious T

• Members *
  • 88020 posts

Posted 21 October 2018 - 05:20 PM

View PostFridge, on 18 October 2018 - 05:04 AM, said:

To be honest, you can use pretty much any Microsoft laptop then just turn all the crap off that you don't need via msconfig. and it will run like lightning.
Shouldn't you be giving advice on fridges?

#37 Fridge

Fridge

The Freezable Fridge™

• Members *
  • 10227 posts
    hillwalking

Posted Yesterday, 02:47 AM

View Posttreeduck, on 21 October 2018 - 05:20 PM, said:

How do you know Fridges can't use laptops?

#38 treeduck

treeduck

Tenacious T

• Members *
  • 88020 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:21 AM

View PostFridge, on 22 October 2018 - 02:47 AM, said:

Who said I was implying that?

#39 Fridge

Fridge

The Freezable Fridge™

• Members *
  • 10227 posts
    hillwalking

Posted Yesterday, 02:12 PM

View Posttreeduck, on 22 October 2018 - 10:21 AM, said:

No one....however this is a PC-related thread....you would have had a point if we were in a domestic white goods thread :-)

#40 treeduck

treeduck

Tenacious T

• Members *
  • 88020 posts

Posted Yesterday, 02:44 PM

View PostFridge, on 22 October 2018 - 02:12 PM, said:

View Posttreeduck, on 22 October 2018 - 10:21 AM, said:

No one....however this is a PC-related thread....you would have had a point if we were in a domestic white goods thread :-)
What about a fridge-computer combo?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: #PubicLice, Vista Cruiser Baby!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users