40 replies to this topic

#1 Mr. JD

Mr. JD

Rushaholic

• Members *
  • 1806 posts
  • Interests:Professional Photographer

Posted 04 April 2017 - 05:14 PM

I have a good friend who is a great guitarist. I'm 56 and he was miles above everyone I knew that played when I was 17. He still plays now, has recorded a few records for himself and other pretty notable artists, and knows a lot of "rockstars". Troy Luccketta of Tesla was the best man in his last wedding. I have a 1997 Peavey Wolfgang, "patent pending" model, with a 4 digit serial number. Since my MS diagnosis, I can't play anymore so all it does is hang on the wall. I almost gave it my friend today so it can be played and appreciated again. I still might. It just needs to be played again.

Sponsored Post

#2 Maverick

Maverick

SWEDGIN!

• Members *
  • 24290 posts
  • Interests:Painfully Geeky

Posted 04 April 2017 - 05:27 PM

That would be a gesture, one that your friend would really appreciate.

As a guitarist who has some really nice gear, I've thought about what would happen to it if I could no longer play, or if I died.

I always preferred to give it to friends rush have it sold.

#3 Mr. JD

Mr. JD

Rushaholic

• Members *
  • 1806 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 05:42 PM

View PostMaverick, on 04 April 2017 - 05:27 PM, said:

As a guitarist who has some really nice gear, I've thought about what would happen to it if I could no longer play, or if I died.

I agree. But he already has a "museum quality" collection of really nice guitars that he regularly plays so my Wolfgang would probably never even get taken out of the case. That's why I didn't do it. I think I would rather sell it to someone who wanted it.

I think I'll just stick to my original plan and leave it to my daughter. She is already mad at me for selling my PRS.

#4 Ancient Ways

Ancient Ways

That's Itâ„¢ Sig

• Members
  • 15996 posts
  • Interests:Hanging out with my kids, riding my bike, playing guitar.

Posted 04 April 2017 - 06:14 PM

Leave it to your daughter who will appreciate it more than you can know one day.  If you have a signed baseball you should totally ship that to geddy though.

#5 Mr. JD

Mr. JD

Rushaholic

• Members *
  • 1806 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 08:25 PM

View PostAncient Ways, on 04 April 2017 - 06:14 PM, said:

Leave it to your daughter who will appreciate it more than you can know one day.  If you have a signed baseball you should totally ship that to geddy though.

:laughing yellow guy: :LMAO: :clap:

#6 Verena

Verena

Mood Lifter

• Members *
  • 15612 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 09:01 PM

View PostMr. JD, on 04 April 2017 - 08:25 PM, said:

I think I would rather sell it to someone who wanted it.

I think I'll just stick to my original plan and leave it to my daughter. She is already mad at me for selling my PRS.

Please, do! She'll perpetuate her beloved music with beloved objects.

#7 djflex

djflex

The Professor

• Members
  • 3833 posts
  • Interests:Doing the tasks the voices in my head tell me to do

Posted 04 April 2017 - 09:02 PM

Leave it to your daughter, it is a true keepsake type item

#8 Mr. JD

Mr. JD

Rushaholic

• Members *
  • 1806 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 09:16 PM

View PostVerena, on 04 April 2017 - 09:01 PM, said:

View PostMr. JD, on 04 April 2017 - 08:25 PM, said:

I think I would rather sell it to someone who wanted it.

Please, do! She'll perpetuate her beloved music with beloved objects.

I understand that...but even if I did get rid of it, there is still so much stuff that is way more sentimental than the Wolfgang.That is my reasoning behind it to start with. I don't know....It just needs to be played. But so does the other 3 guitars hanging on the wall.

Edited by Mr. JD, 04 April 2017 - 09:17 PM.

#9 Lucas

Lucas

Leave That Wrench Alone

• Members
  • 10815 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 10:37 PM

John, you will play again

Don't give up

#10 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Beauty and the Bass

• Members
  • 21779 posts
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 04 April 2017 - 10:41 PM

Yeah definitely don't give it away to someone especially who wouldn't appreciate it. Could you just sell it maybe if your daughter doesn't want it?

#11 condemned2bfree

condemned2bfree

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1772 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 12:52 AM

View PostMr. JD, on 04 April 2017 - 05:14 PM, said:

I have a good friend who is a great guitarist. I'm 56 and he was miles above everyone I knew that played when I was 17. He still plays now, has recorded a few records for himself and other pretty notable artists, and knows a lot of "rockstars". Troy Luccketta of Tesla was the best man in his last wedding. I have a 1997 Peavey Wolfgang, "patent pending" model, with a 4 digit serial number. Since my MS diagnosis, I can't play anymore so all it does is hang on the wall. I almost gave it my friend today so it can be played and appreciated again. I still might. It just needs to be played again.

You are a true gentleman!

#12 condemned2bfree

condemned2bfree

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1772 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 12:53 AM

View PostLucas, on 04 April 2017 - 10:37 PM, said:

John, you will play again

Don't give up

Yes, I'd encourage goals of anykind!

#13 apetersvt

apetersvt

The Professor

• Members
  • 3427 posts
  • Interests:wine (good beer and cheap liquor actually), women, and song

Posted 05 April 2017 - 12:07 PM

I have similar thoughts about what to do with my guitars.
I have three daughters and was thinking about splitting up my top three guitars that I play (my PRS McCarty, Gibson Les Paul, and Gibson J-45) among them.  
But at the same time, none of them play, and would hate for them to sit around in a case and not be played.

Im hoping to some day (not any time soon) to have some grandkids and teach them how to rock.  The guitars could then go to them.

#14 Mr. JD

Mr. JD

Rushaholic

• Members *
  • 1806 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 06:31 PM

View Postapetersvt, on 05 April 2017 - 12:07 PM, said:

I have similar thoughts about what to do with my guitars.
I have three daughters and was thinking about splitting up my top three guitars that I play (my PRS McCarty, Gibson Les Paul, and Gibson J-45) among them.  
But at the same time, none of them play, and would hate for them to sit around in a case and not be played.

Im hoping to some day (not any time soon) to have some grandkids and teach them how to rock.  The guitars could then go to them.

I agree about not getting played. But...depending on the guitar, it still could be a great thing to leave it to your kids, even if they don't play. I have a friend that was left a 1956 Les Paul by her father. She calls it her retirement.

#15 YYZumbi

YYZumbi

Vapor Trail

• Members *
  • 18664 posts
  • Interests:Vinyl records and music in general.

Posted 05 April 2017 - 07:40 PM

With all due respect...who the hell cares?

#16 troutman

troutman

My views are fishy

• Members *
  • 44549 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 07:51 PM

View PostYYZumbi, on 05 April 2017 - 07:40 PM, said:

Now you are being a complete a** hole!! Get you're life in order kid.

#17 YYZumbi

YYZumbi

Vapor Trail

• Members *
  • 18664 posts
  • Interests:Vinyl records and music in general.

Posted 05 April 2017 - 07:55 PM

View Posttroutman, on 05 April 2017 - 07:51 PM, said:

Im just saying the exact same thing that he said to me in my thread. Why am I being a as.shole when no one called him for as.shole when he said it to me?

And Im not a kid, I am 27 years old........

#18 troutman

troutman

My views are fishy

• Members *
  • 44549 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 08:00 PM

View PostYYZumbi, on 05 April 2017 - 07:55 PM, said:

Im just saying the exact same thing that he said to me in my thread. Why am I being a as.shole when no one called him for as.shole when he said it to me?

So why not say it there? Why come here and comment on a topic that is completely different?

#19 Mr. JD

Mr. JD

Rushaholic

• Members *
  • 1806 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 09:31 PM

View PostYYZumbi, on 05 April 2017 - 07:55 PM, said:

Maybe because my thread made sense and yours was completely idiotic and a waste of TRF bandwidth. Which is consistent with the majority of your posts.

#20 stoopid

stoopid

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 755 posts
  • Interests:Music, climbing

Posted 10 April 2017 - 12:04 PM

View PostMr. JD, on 04 April 2017 - 05:42 PM, said:

View PostMaverick, on 04 April 2017 - 05:27 PM, said:

I agree. But he already has a "museum quality" collection of really nice guitars that he regularly plays so my Wolfgang would probably never even get taken out of the case. That's why I didn't do it. I think I would rather sell it to someone who wanted it.

He may be touched by the gesture and you might be surprised at whether they would play it, based on that fact alone.  [you have to wonder how many of his guitars mean anything to them/have any sentimental worth]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users