• State Of Ephoria
    • Persistence Of Time
    • Sound Of White Noise
    • Stomp 442
    • Vol. 8: The Threat Is Real
    • We've Come For You All
    • Worship Music
    • For All Kings

Here's a place to rank the albums by the most underappreciated of the big four of thrash metal!

I've still only heard one, but I love it!

1. Among The Living

2-11. Tbd

Among The Living

Persistence Of Time

Spreading The Disease

Sound Of White Noise

For All Kings

We've Come For You All

Worship Music

State Of Euphoria

Stomp 442

Vol 8

Fistful Of Metal

Entre, did you know that on Fistful the band had a different and very horrible lead singer? Also, Joey was fired from the band and John Bush was the singer for Sound Of White Noise through Vol 8.

Since you're new to the band, I figured i'd tell you just in case you didn't know.

• Like 1

Among The Living

Persistence Of Time

Spreading The Disease

Sound Of White Noise

For All Kings

We've Come For You All

Worship Music

State Of Euphoria

Stomp 442

Vol 8

Fistful Of Metal

Entre, did you know that on Fistful the band had a different and very horrible lead singer? Also, Joey was fired from the band and John Bush was the singer for Sound Of White Noise through Vol 8.

Since you're new to the band, I figured i'd tell you just in case you didn't know.

I actually did already know this, as I've been doing a lot of "research" on the big four as of late (well, less so on Slayer), but thanks for telling me anyway! I'm glad they got Joey back in the past few years, but it seems a little like they got him back more because he's the right singer for the music and less for his personality.

Among The Living

Persistence Of Time

Spreading The Disease

Sound Of White Noise

For All Kings

We've Come For You All

Worship Music

State Of Euphoria

Stomp 442

Vol 8

Fistful Of Metal

I actually did already know this, as I've been doing a lot of "research" on the big four as of late (well, less so on Slayer), but thanks for telling me anyway! I'm glad they got Joey back in the past few years, but it seems a little like they got him back more because he's the right singer for the music and less for his personality.

They also got Joey back because it means more money. With Joey they can fill venues in the 1,000 - 2,000 range with no problem. By the time John left the band they were probably losing money. I saw them when they toured for We've Come For You All and they were playing some shit dive bar (which was closing down at the time) that only could fit maybe 250 - 300 people if that. Excellent show though. I think it being super intimate like that helped a lot. There was some dude at the front that was headbanging so hard and fast when they played N.F.L. that i'm pretty sure his head was bouncing off the stage.

If you ever see them live and don't want to get caught in a mosh, stay towards the back of the venue. The last time I saw them on the Worship Music tour, the whole floor became a huge circle pit when they played the old stuff. I'm not a mosher but it really was one of the best things I ever saw at a metal show. During songs like Among, Caught In A Mosh, Indians and Madhouse at least 90 percent of the venue turned into a mosh pit.

• Like 1

Among The Living

Persistence Of Time

Spreading The Disease

Sound Of White Noise

For All Kings

We've Come For You All

Worship Music

State Of Euphoria

Stomp 442

Vol 8

Fistful Of Metal

They also got Joey back because it means more money. With Joey they can fill venues in the 1,000 - 2,000 range with no problem. By the time John left the band they were probably losing money. I saw them when they toured for We've Come For You All and they were playing some shit dive bar (which was closing down at the time) that only could fit maybe 250 - 300 people if that. Excellent show though. I think it being super intimate like that helped a lot. There was some dude at the front that was headbanging so hard and fast when they played N.F.L. that i'm pretty sure his head was bouncing off the stage.

If you ever see them live and don't want to get caught in a mosh, stay towards the back of the venue. The last time I saw them on the Worship Music tour, the whole floor became a huge circle pit when they played the old stuff. I'm not a mosher but it really was one of the best things I ever saw at a metal show. During songs like Among, Caught In A Mosh, Indians and Madhouse at least 90 percent of the venue turned into a mosh pit.

Yeah, I don't picture myself doing well with a mosh, would be cool to see them live though! Too bad they aren't closer with Joey, but whatever works I guess, as long as everyone is happy.

Among the Living

Persistence of Time

Spreading the Disease

State of Euphoria

Sound of White Noise

Worship Music

For All Kings

We've Come for You All

Fistful of Metal

Stomp 442

Volume 8: The Threat Is Real

The top three are classics, the bottom two are pretty terrible, and the rest I don't listen to often, but they're not bad.

Surprised treeduck and Rod haven't commented in this thread yet.

I always found the transformation the band made between Fistful and Spreading amazing. They went from the most average, generic sounding metal band they could be, to writing and releasing a full blown classic metal album just the following year. Shows what a difference getting Joey made in their sound. Neil Turbin just didn't work in this band. Once Joey came in and Charlie and Scott took over the songwriting duties the band became a completely different animal. One of the greatest style changes a band has ever done.

• Like 2

I always found the transformation the band made between Fistful and Spreading amazing. They went from the most average, generic sounding metal band they could be, to writing and releasing a full blown classic metal album just the following year. Shows what a difference getting Joey made in their sound. Neil Turbin just didn't work in this band. Once Joey came in and Charlie and Scott took over the songwriting duties the band became a completely different animal. One of the greatest style changes a band has ever done.

Reminds me of a certain other band whose first album was rather derivative and whose second was a total classic due to a single lineup change...

• Like 1

Reminds me of a certain other band whose first album was rather derivative and whose second was a total classic due to a single lineup change...

True to an extent. But Joey doesn't help much with the overall songwriting like Neil did with Rush. Scott and Charlie turned out to be the magic combo for Anthrax.

Also, Spreading The Disease is a better album than Fly By Night. Anthrax figured it out right away with the changes. Rush was still in a bit of a transition on that album.

• Like 1

I´m here, J!! I´m way too busy with the preparations to move, but had a look at this topic the other day and had to contribute!

I got into Anthrax when State of Euphoria came out - I was an avid reader of Mad Magazine back then, and the back cover of Euphoria showed the band as a cartoon, made by Mad´s Mort Drucker. That caught my attention right away, and I had to buy it!!! The album is ok, not their best, but Antisocial and Be All, End All are killer tracks. Persistence of Time upped their game considerably, and I followed them since then, and have all their albums now. I´ve seen them five or six times, and always with a different lineup. My favourite singer in the band is John Bush, and I think they reached exactly the sound they were aiming for in We´ve Come for You All. That was a ressurgence for the band, and soon after that they put out an album called The Greater of Two Evils, which showed Beladonna/Turbin songs played by their then lineup. That was a cool album, and there´s an album documenting that period called Music of Mass Destruction which is one of my favourite live albums of all time. Unfortunately they decided to backtrack and do a revival tour with Belladonna, which pissed Bush off and he would only return for a handful of festival shows in Australia in 2009.

I also saw the reunion tour they did with Belladonna, and it sucked balls...I know he remained active in the years he left the band, but he seemed really rusty when I saw them. And don´t get me started on Dan Spitz - it looked like the last place he wanted to be was the stage. They tried to make it work with Dan Nelson, and I think he had a good voice, but thye got into a fight and he was out before Worship Music was released. Beladonna was brought back and, at last, he NAILED his vocals. I always thought he was the weak link in this band, but he finally earned my respect after that album. I saw them on that tour too, and it was awesome.

I love For All Kings too, and to me it sounds like a proper sequence to Worship Music. They opened for Maiden in Rio last year, but I got in late and only saw the last couple of songs. Their new guitarrist is great too, and I hope he sticks around for the next album.

Anyway, my ranking goes like this:

We've Come for You All

Among the Living

Sound of White Noise

Persistence of Time

Worship Music

For All Kings

Stomp 442

Spreading the Disease

State of Euphoria

Fistful of Metal

• Like 2

I´m here, J!! I´m way too busy with the preparations to move, but had a look at this topic the other day and had to contribute!

I got into Anthrax when State of Euphoria came out - I was an avid reader of Mad Magazine back then, and the back cover of Euphoria showed the band as a cartoon, made by Mad´s Mort Drucker. That caught my attention right away, and I had to buy it!!! The album is ok, not their best, but Antisocial and Be All, End All are killer tracks. Persistence of Time upped their game considerably, and I followed them since then, and have all their albums now. I´ve seen them five or six times, and always with a different lineup. My favourite singer in the band is John Bush, and I think they reached exactly the sound they were aiming for in We´ve Come for You All. That was a ressurgence for the band, and soon after that they put out an album called The Greater of Two Evils, which showed Beladonna/Turbin songs played by their then lineup. That was a cool album, and there´s an album documenting that period called Music of Mass Destruction which is one of my favourite live albums of all time. Unfortunately they decided to backtrack and do a revival tour with Belladonna, which pissed Bush off and he would only return for a handful of festival shows in Australia in 2009.

I also saw the reunion tour they did with Belladonna, and it sucked balls...I know he remained active in the years he left the band, but he seemed really rusty when I saw them. And don´t get me started on Dan Spitz - it looked like the last place he wanted to be was the stage. They tried to make it work with Dan Nelson, and I think he had a good voice, but thye got into a fight and he was out before Worship Music was released. Beladonna was brought back and, at last, he NAILED his vocals. I always thought he was the weak link in this band, but he finally earned my respect after that album. I saw them on that tour too, and it was awesome.

I love For All Kings too, and to me it sounds like a proper sequence to Worship Music. They opened for Maiden in Rio last year, but I got in late and only saw the last couple of songs. Their new guitarrist is great too, and I hope he sticks around for the next album.

We've Come for You All

Among the Living

Sound of White Noise

Persistence of Time

Worship Music

For All Kings

Stomp 442

Spreading the Disease

State of Euphoria

Fistful of Metal

I heard one of the tracks off of that Greater Of Two Evils album recently, the redone Indians. It was noticeable slower and the sound was muddier. I didn't think Bush did a bad job with the vocals, but it just didn't have the same flair as Belladona's did. Plus, I couldn't help feeling like they slowed the track down just so Bush could have an easier time reaching the high notes.

Edited by Entre_Perpetuo

We've Come for You All

Among the Living

Sound of White Noise

Persistence of Time

Worship Music

For All Kings

Stomp 442

Spreading the Disease

State of Euphoria

Fistful of Metal

I heard one of the tracks off of that Greater Of Two Evils album recently, the redone Indians. It was noticeable slower and the sound was muddier. I didn't think Bush did a bad job with the vocals, but it just didn't have the same flair as Belladona's did. Plus, I couldn't help feeling like they slowed the track down just so Bush could have an easier time reaching the high notes.

They didn't slow anything down live with Bush from what I remember. I actually prefer his voice to Joey's in a lot of ways. John has this very raw, passionate, emotional voice. Joey is a great singer but during his first run with the band, he lacked emotion in what he sang. He was just a singer doing a job and because the material was so great, nobody really cared. But one of the reasons Joey was let go the first time is because Scott didn't like his lack of emotion on delivering the vocals on Persistence Of Time. That's a big reason why Bush got the job.

But Joey understands what he has to do now. The last two albums have been the best he's ever sang. He realises that he has to put a little more umph and feeling in his vocals and it's made him a better singer both in the studio and live.

• Like 2

We've Come for You All

Among the Living

Sound of White Noise

Persistence of Time

Worship Music

For All Kings

Stomp 442

Spreading the Disease

State of Euphoria

Fistful of Metal

They didn't slow anything down live with Bush from what I remember. I actually prefer his voice to Joey's in a lot of ways. John has this very raw, passionate, emotional voice. Joey is a great singer but during his first run with the band, he lacked emotion in what he sang. He was just a singer doing a job and because the material was so great, nobody really cared. But one of the reasons Joey was let go the first time is because Scott didn't like his lack of emotion on delivering the vocals on Persistence Of Time. That's a big reason why Bush got the job.

But Joey understands what he has to do now. The last two albums have been the best he's ever sang. He realises that he has to put a little more umph and feeling in his vocals and it's made him a better singer both in the studio and live.

Well I am sure that the rerecorded Indians with Bush was slower, but I don't deny he has a really raw, passionate voice. I love Joey's delivery on everything on Among The Living, but if it gets even better I can't wait to hear the new albums.

Listening to Among The Living again today. Man I love this album. This will probably end up being my favorite thrash album and favorite thrash band when all is said and done. I love Megadeth too, but this album is already embedded in my memory.
  • Like 1

Persistence of Time was way ahead of it's, um, time. Still sounds fantastic today! Among the Living and Spreading The Disease come in second and third. The rest kinda muddle together after that with a few hits. New album is much better than any of the last 10 yrs IMO...
  • Like 2

Here´s a few pics of the most intimate Anthrax show I´ve witnessed: at the Soundwave estival in Perth, 2010. At the time they´d had so many twists and turns in the vocal seat that it hurt their reputation, so they were way down the bill. Lucky me, I was able to see them VERY close:

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k210/RodrigoAltaf/P1050312_zpso8wmgala.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k210/RodrigoAltaf/P1050309_zpskagqpghm.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k210/RodrigoAltaf/P1050306_zpszpuxn4d0.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k210/RodrigoAltaf/P1050279_zpsplzdsc6d.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k210/RodrigoAltaf/P1050282_zpsxigh4vqp.jpg

• Like 2

Here´s a few pics of the most intimate Anthrax show I´ve witnessed: at the Soundwave estival in Perth, 2010. At the time they´d had so many twists and turns in the vocal seat that it hurt their reputation, so they were way down the bill. Lucky me, I was able to see them VERY close:

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k210/RodrigoAltaf/P1050312_zpso8wmgala.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k210/RodrigoAltaf/P1050309_zpskagqpghm.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k210/RodrigoAltaf/P1050306_zpszpuxn4d0.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k210/RodrigoAltaf/P1050279_zpsplzdsc6d.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k210/RodrigoAltaf/P1050282_zpsxigh4vqp.jpg

Epic! I'm thinking of seeing them at a festival this summer. Doubt I could ever get that close.

• Like 1

Also, Charlie Benante is an INCREDIBLE drummer. Super musical, super skilled. No wonder he writes so much.
  • Like 3

Because I love in Bizzaro world I don't hear Anthrax the way others do.

I prefer Bush's voice, for one.

Spreading the Disease isn't all that fantastic for two.

I love Anthrax, though. My favorite of the Big Four.

I still haven't listened to Kings, sadly.

Sound of White Noise

Persistence of Time

Among the Living

Stomp 442

Worship Music

State of Euphoria

Spreading the Disease

We've Come for You All

Fistful of Metal

• Like 1

Sound of White Noise

Persistence of Time

Among the Living

Stomp 442

Worship Music

State of Euphoria

Spreading the Disease

We've Come for You All

Fistful of Metal

I'm still debating between them and Megadeth, but if Megadeth ends up nudging the out for me they'll still be ahead of Slayer and Metallica. Cool list! I wonder what I'll think of John Bush era when I get to it...maybe I'll be more evenly opinion end if I try to hear them in an order like this:

Among

White Noise

Fistful

Persistance

Stomp

Worship

We've

Spreading

The Threat

Kings

Euphoria

Trying to intersperse the different singers while paying attention to what's supposed to be better and worse.

Sound of White Noise

Persistence of Time

Among the Living

Stomp 442

Worship Music

State of Euphoria

Spreading the Disease

We've Come for You All

Fistful of Metal

I'm still debating between them and Megadeth, but if Megadeth ends up nudging the out for me they'll still be ahead of Slayer and Metallica. Cool list! I wonder what I'll think of John Bush era when I get to it...maybe I'll be more evenly opinion end if I try to hear them in an order like this:

Among

White Noise

Fistful

Persistance

Stomp

Worship

We've

Spreading

The Threat

Kings

Euphoria

Trying to intersperse the different singers while paying attention to what's supposed to be better and worse.

They changed their style a little with Bush, a style they still have now. It's a mix of thrash and traditional sounding metal. Flip flopping around like that with listening to the albums may not be the best choice as a new listener. You've already heard Among, so just stick with the classic Joey era right now. Listen to Spreading or Persistence next, so you can hear how the bands sound was and what it became.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 2

I prefer Bush too...it always semed to me that Belladonna´s slightly out of tune. But I learned to accept that he´s the one who always wanted that gig, and will be around as long as Anthrax is standing now. Like others said here, Scott Ian had an issue with his vocal delivery on Persistence of Time, and instead of addressing this with him, they fired him and got Bush to join. I love John Bush, he´s one of my favourite singers live and in studio, but he´s in another phase right now - he makes a lot of money doing voiceovers in commercials (most famously one for Burger King), and doesn´t want to do the whole album/tour/album/tour cycle like he used to do. Also, by the time he rejoined in 2009 for a short run of shows, Anthrax had had three singers in less than one year, and their idea was to re-record the vocals for worship Music, which had been finalized with Dan Nelson on vocals. Bush would only join if they recorded a new album from scratch which they didn´t want to (or couldn´t) do. They did what was right then and called Belladonna back a THIRD time, and he delivered the ´performance of his lifetime.

By the way, have you guys heard them doing Rush? Here it is:

• Like 2