Anyone here like Focus?

Steve Smith

Just an incredible awesome band

I love Deep Purple, one of my favourite bands of all time

But in my humble opinion as individual musicians I think Focus were better

Well... lets just say that I think Thijs and John Lord were about equal.

If they had chosen to get a lead singer they could have been bigger than Purple

But they stuck to their guns and principles

To this day Focus are the only band to ever have 2 instrumental songs in the top 10 of the UK singles chart with Hocus Pocus and Sylvia

Steve

• Like 2

Oh yeah!

I don't listen to them frequently, but great stuff.

I think I've heard three of their albums- of which Hocus Pocus is is my favourite.

Edited by Blue J
  • Like 1

Love them...though I've only got Moving Waves, Focus III and the 'Hocus Pocus' Best Of.

Jan Akkerman is a fantastic guitarist :guitar:

• Like 1

Love them...though I've only got Moving Pictures, Focus III and the 'Hocus Pocus' Best Of.

Thats better.

More to life and music than Rush.

• Like 1

Love them...though I've only got Moving Pictures, Focus III and the 'Hocus Pocus' Best Of.

Thats better.

Sure MP is better, but I'm surer you haven't heard Moving Waves in all its glory. Great album from a very interesting Dutch band. :smoke:

If you don't smoke, then eat a space-cake and listen to some Focus. You'll not be disappointed, I promise. :LOL:

• Like 1

Thats better.

Sure MP is better, but I'm surer you haven't heard Moving Waves in all its glory. Great album from a very interesting Dutch band. :smoke:

If you don't smoke, then eat a space-cake and listen to some Focus. You'll not be disappointed, I promise. :LOL:

I have never in my life heard of this band.

Thats better.

Everything has its time. :cheers:

Thats better.

Give it a listen, nothing wrong with trying new bands, and if u don't like it so be it, at least u tried. So much more to music than Rush

• Like 1

Thats better.

Give it a listen, nothing wrong with trying new bands, and if u don't like it so be it, at least u tried. So much more to music than Rush

:sigh: Why do people always think that Rush is the only thing I listen to? Serious, I have not listened to Rush in weeks (and then it was only one album, before that it was months before I listened to any Rush music). Just look at this list of all my records and you see its lots of stuff that is not Rush (the list is not completed yet!)

https://www.discogs.com/user/Vinylrecordgeek/collection

Yes, I dig Focus!

Great version of HP - speed version!

http://youtu.be/g4ouPGGLI6Q

A freakin classic----old yodler meets porky pig!!!! is that guy f***ed or what

The flute solo is just absolutely awesome!!!!!! ha ha

Thijs studied classical flute and piano at music academy but he wished to pursue a career in rock after hearing the Prog rock sounds of Purple, King Crimson and The Nice in the late 60's. He recruited Pierre Van Der Linden, a young talented jazz and rock drummer who was heavily influenced by Buddy Rich. Akkerman was recommended by a friend of Thijs who said "If you wish to pursue progressive rock then you must get Jan Ackerman in, he is the best young rock guitarist in Holland"

Rest is history

Steve

• Like 1