Tom Cruise in Film

JohnnyBlaze

Tom Cruise in Film  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Which movies with Tom Cruise did you enjoy?

• Taps
    • Losin' It
    • Risky Business
    • All the Right Moves
    • Legend
    • Top Gun
    • The Color of Money
    • Cocktail
    • Rain Man
    • Born on the 4th of July
    • Days of Thunder
    • Far and Away
    • A Few Good Men
    • The Firm
    • Interview with the Vampire
    • Mission Impossible
    • Jerry Maguire
    • Eyes Wide Shut
    • Magnolia
    • Mission Impossible 2
    • Vanilla Sky
    • Minority Report
    • The Last Samurai
    • Collateral
    • War of the Worlds
    • Mission Impossible 3
    • Lions for Lambs
    • Tropic Thunder
    • Valkyrie
    • Knight and Day
    • Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol
    • Rock of Ages
    • Jack Reacher
    • Oblivion
    • Edge of Tomorrow
    • Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation
    • Jack Reacher: Never Go Back
    • Other
  2. 2. What do you think of his acting ability?

• He's one of the best around today.
    • He's nowhere near the best but he's enjoyable a lot of the time.
    • He's okay or passable.
    • He may be decent occasionally but he's generally forgettable.
    • I might've liked him a couple of times but he's annoying for the most part.
    • He's absolute dog shit. In fact, I'm pretty sure my poodle's morning dump can act better than him!
  3. 3. How many of the movies on the list have you seen?

• 0! It's Tom Cruise! I hate that nutter!
    • Not many at all. Just 1-4.
    • Some. 5-11.
    • A dozen plus. 12-17.
    • Quite a few. 18-25.
    • Many many many. 26-33!
    • Nearly all. 34-36.
    • All 37 of course!

http://images6.alphacoders.com/341/thumb-1920-341021.jpg

Yeah yeah yeah I'm sure most of you think he's a dick. I'd agree.

But just trying to think of him as an actor, what do you think?

What do you think of his movies?

Can you separate how he appears OUTSIDE OF movies from how he is IN movies?

http://weirdopedia.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/TomCruiseinVanillaSky.jpg

I've only listed movies in which he was the star or had a sizable role. Have I forgotten any?

• Like 1

Tom is pretty wooden, but he's been in some movies that I have enjoyed

Legend was great .. Born On The Fourth Of July was good, and I did like War Of The Worlds until the end - one of the most anticlimactic disappointing endings I can remember - but that wasn't Tom's fault ..

Interview With The Vampire was complete shit, and Tom had a lot to do with that

Legend was great .. Born On The Fourth Of July was good, and I did like War Of The Worlds until the end - one of the most anticlimactic disappointing endings I can remember - but that wasn't Tom's fault ..

Totally agree with your WotW and Interview/Vampire assessments.

I haven't seen Legend...or I've only seen parts.

I saw Born/4th in the cinema and thought it was okay then but I don't really remember it tbh.

• Like 1

I think he was best in Magnolia and Vanilla Sky. Vanilla Sky is probably my favorite of his overall.

As far as newer stuff goes, Edge of Tomorrow was annoying.

Oblivion was good for most of it but the end was a bit predictable.

Jack Reacher seemed like a straight up, run of the mill action movie. You don't need to watch it but if you do it probably won't bother you.

I often have a hard time believing Tom Cruise can kick people's asses. In Taps he seemed more right because he was the older, muscular teen compared to the other, mostly younger kids.

He seems more believable in roles like Jerry Maguire, Magnolia, Eyes Wide Shut, and Vanilla Sky. Of course it helps that I like those four flicks but I guess it really means that I don't think too much of him as an action movie star. Hell, I fell asleep in the cinema when I saw Mission Impossible.

• Like 1

Totally agree with your WotW and Interview/Vampire assessments.

I haven't seen Legend...or I've only seen parts.

I saw Born/4th in the cinema and thought it was okay then but I don't really remember it tbh.

Legend is really good ... I haven't seen it in a while, but it was one of those movies back in the day that I watched a bunch of time ..

The problem is that I loved the US cut with the Tangerine Dream soundtrack - and the director's cut has the Jerry Goldsmith soundtrack ... I need to see it again, both versions

I've enjoyed 15 films from your list, with the tops being Magnolia, Vanilla Sky, Last Samurai, A Few Good Men and Collateral. A Few Good Men, Collateral and Last Samurai are three that I've seen a bunch of times...probably once a year over the past decade or more. I like Jerry Macguire a lot, because the chemistry among the characters really seems to work. It's light fair, but enjoyable for what it is. Plenty of others that qualify as classics, like Top Gun, The Color of Money, or Rain Man.

Not a bad resume.

• Like 2

I often have a hard time believing Tom Cruise can kick people's asses. In Taps he seemed more right because he was the older, muscular teen compared to the other, mostly younger kids.

Yep, well, in Legend, Tom isn't kicking anyone ass TBH

http://www.standbyformindcontrol.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Tom_Cruise_Legend.jpg

• Like 2

Strangely, I have seen everything up through Born on the Fourth of July and nothing afterwards. Just haven't been interested in the subject matter, although Mr. blues watches Minority Report whenever it's on. I liked Tom a lot in early movies and thought he really showed a good range of acting in Rain Man.
  • Like 1

I've enjoyed 15 films from your list, with the tops being Magnolia, Vanilla Sky, Last Samurai, A Few Good Men and Collateral. A Few Good Men, Collateral and Last Samurai are three that I've seen a bunch of times...probably once a year over the past decade or more. I like Jerry Macguire a lot, because the chemistry among the characters really seems to work. It's light fair, but enjoyable for what it is. Plenty of others that qualify as classics, like Top Gun, The Color of Money, or Rain Man.

Not a bad resume.

I haven't seen Collateral or Color of Money. Should do soon.

I've seen Last Samurai several times but I'm not satisfied with the ending. Really enjoyed a lot of the action sequences though.

What does it take to kill the bastard?! :LOL:

I think I would've been quite satisfied with a dead Cruise and Timothy Spall speaking with the Emperor (in a slightly variant conversation of what we saw) at the end instead.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze

Strangely, I have seen everything up through Born on the Fourth of July and nothing afterwards. Just haven't been interested in the subject matter, although Mr. blues watches Minority Report whenever it's on. I liked Tom a lot in early movies and thought he really showed a good range of acting in Rain Man.

I think you'd like Jerry Maguire, Magnolia, and Vanilla Sky.

• Like 2

I voted last samuri. Mostly because it was a really good movie.

I liked jack reacher and many of the others

But almost anyone coukd have replaced him in those roles

They sound interesting! I'm awaiting poll results for Cocktail at the edge of my couch! Will anyone vote for it? I think we watched it expecting something light, but it was just baaaaad . . . .except for the shaker flipping! :D

• Like 1

They sound interesting! I'm awaiting poll results for Cocktail at the edge of my couch! Will anyone vote for it? I think we watched it expecting something light, but it was just baaaaad . . . .except for the shaker flipping! :D

I couldn't bring myself to watch that. And teen me then assumed Elisabeth Shue wasn't going to be naked so I figured "What's the point of watching?" :P

Edited by JohnnyBlaze
  • Like 1

Cruise is best when the rest of the film, cast, director, script, is good enough to support him and make his performance not so important. Or if he's in a film like Top Gun where there are plenty of distractions from Tom's acting, fighter jets, Steve Stevens doing the theme music, Kenny Loggins making you swear at the screen, some kind of gay subtext real or imagined created by the gay crowd, Val Kilmer etc.
  • Like 1

Cruise is best when the rest of the film, cast, director, script, is good enough to support him and make his performance not so important. Or if he's in a film like Top Gun where there are plenty of distractions from Tom's acting, fighter jets, Steve Stevens doing the theme music, Kenny Loggins making you swear at the screen, some kind of gay subtext real or imagined created by the gay crowd, Val Kilmer etc.

Didn't you like Taps? It's unlike any other role he's had without being some kind of lampoon. It also happens to be Sean Penn's first movie too.

• Like 1

Didn't you like Taps? It's unlike any other role he's had without being some kind of lampoon. It also happens to be Sean Penn's first movie too.

I've not seen that one.

I've not seen that one.

Check it out.

Stars Timothy Hutton.

Has George C. Scott and Ronny Cox.

Penn's first flick, Cruise's second technically but his first major role.

I generally like him in his movies as long as the movie storyline itself is good. I've seen 20 of these, and the only one I saw that I thought sucked was War of the Worlds.

The only news regarding him that I could be excited about is the following, though it has nothing to do with him per se, and the subject of the film....sadly it's looking less likely due to Hollywoods inability to recognise the grandness of the vision...

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Guillermo-Del-Toro-Mountains-Madness-Gets-Greenlit-Tom-Cruise-Set-Star-23519.html

I don't really care for him as he comes across so fake in real life but, as an actor, it's hard to deny he's been in quite a few films I've enjoyed. He's not a truly great actor IMO but was he has learned is to communicate intensity through the screen which makes me keep watching.

I don't really care for him as he comes across so fake in real life but, as an actor, it's hard to deny he's been in quite a few films I've enjoyed. He's not a truly great actor IMO but was he has learned is to communicate intensity through the screen which makes me keep watching.

For me, his portrayal of intensity is hit and miss.

Vanilla Sky & Magnolia, good intensity.

A Few Good "I WANT THE TRUTH", not so good intensity. That line followed by Jack's are fun lines to imitate. But I can't take them seriously. George Costanza.

http://images6.alphacoders.com/341/thumb-1920-341021.jpg

Yeah yeah yeah I'm sure most of you think he's a dick. I'd agree.

But just trying to think of him as an actor, what do you think?

What do you think of his movies?

Can you separate how he appears OUTSIDE OF movies from how he is IN movies?

http://weirdopedia.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/TomCruiseinVanillaSky.jpg

I've only listed movies in which he was the star or had a sizable role. Have I forgotten any?

I think he's a very entertaining actor. I don't have a problem with his personal life interfering. A lot of that is because I mostly believe that all actors are nuts.