Saying Goodbye To My Only Good Employer

Principled Man

In the next day or two (perhaps tomorrow), I will be going to my job for the last time.

I regret that my employer, McKesson Pharmaceuticals, has been the ONLY good employer that I've ever had. They're definitely not perfect, as no employer is, but McKesson has been the most supportive, professional, and respectful business for whom I've ever worked......and I've worked for a lot of companies! I was really hoping to make this job my last job. At 55 years of age, I really didn't want to start a new job......but alas, it has to be done. :|

We were given two full years notice that our distribution center was going to close. Several employees and some of the management staff have moved on to other jobs during these past two years. Those of us who are staying until the very last day are being rewarded with a generous severance package. I don't have to worry about getting a job right away. I actually have the opportunity to take a vacation and enjoy the Springtime!! :ebert:

During these last few months, the McKesson management staff has been literally spoiling us. They've been catering in food 2-3 times a week. We're all getting personalized jackets. We're also getting fully paid for time worked until the 31st of March, even though we will probably be all done tomorrow. :ebert:

Before working for McKesson, I left every other job with either a sigh of relief or the feeling that I just escaped Shawshank State Penitentiary!! Now that I'm leaving McKesson, I don't feel so good. I'm not kidding when I say that a good 98% of my co-workers and managers were first-rate. There is the option to apply to work for the new super-duper McKesson distribution center in Iowa (the reason why my center was closed), but family responsibilities are keeping me in Wisconsin for now.

Time to move on and start anew! I've done it several times, so one more time won't hurt so much! On to the FUTURE.....scary as it may seem!! :D :D

• Like 6

Good luck with your job hunting. May you be blessed with a good management team and good coworkers.
  • Like 2

May you be blessed with a good management team and good coworkers.

I've said it very often: The actual work that I do doesn't matter. It could be hard work, back-breaking work, dirty work. What makes a job a Good Job is the people with whom you work. If you work with good, honest people who respect you, then your job will be just fine. If you work with bad people who disrespect you, then your job, no matter how much it pays, will be a bad job.

• Like 6

May you be blessed with a good management team and good coworkers.

I've said it very often: The actual work that I do doesn't matter. It could be hard work, back-breaking work, dirty work. What makes a job a Good Job is the people with whom you work. If you work with good, honest people who respect you, then your job will be just fine. If you work with bad people who disrespect you, then your job, no matter how much it pays, will be a bad job.

I'll say!

• Like 4

Definitely good luck with the job hunting when you decide to start doing it. It's tough to have to leave a job that you really love and where they treat you so well.
  • Like 2

You may find more on how money isn´t everything in a job at the topic I posted a few months back - some of you have posted in it: http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?/topic/100939-frustration-at-work/

I was going to quit today - there was a corporate dinner at a fancy place scheduled for yesterday, and I thought I could take advantage of it and say goodbye the next day. But I hated that job so much that I ended up deciding to leave on Monday. With all due respect to my beautiful wife, but quitting a job you hate is almost as good as sex!

• Like 2

Enjoy your time off, and good luck with the job search. The next employer will be lucky to have you! It's too bad McKesson is leaving your area. I've also worked for one really good employer and a lot of bad ones. It has always surprised me that the dysfunctional places never catch on to how much it costs them in training new people, bad reputation, etc.
  • Like 2

Luck be with your search, PM! Late life job changes can be a pain. My Dad did this right after he retired from FORD Motor company. The govt made him quit his after job because of his age....

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j223/OldRUSHfan/Banana%20World/sad%20banana%20gif.gif

• Like 1

Good luck with your new chapter. I also come from the pharmaceutical world. Positive vibes your way. A new door will open for you. Enjoy the time off:)
  • Like 1

All done! Today was the last day, and what a LONG day it was!! :LOL:

Lots of tears during the last meeting at the end of the shift. Many of my coworkers have worked there for 20, 30, even 40 years! They literally don't know how to apply for a job anymore, as they've been at the same place for so long. It's gonna be a hard transition for them.

I feel a little anxious, but still confident. Gonna be patient and go for a decent job offer. No mediocre McJob for me!! :no:

• Like 3

Lots of tears during the last meeting at the end of the shift. Many of my coworkers have worked there for 20, 30, even 40 years! They literally don't know how to apply for a job anymore, as they've been at the same place for so long. It's gonna be a hard transition for them.

I feel a little anxious, but still confident. Gonna be patient and go for a decent job offer. No mediocre McJob for me!! :no:

Hugs for you and your coworkers... :hug2:

• Like 1

Do some research on resume styles because you may want to implement a strategy that masks your age to increase your chances of getting a call back. Hiring a headhunter isn't a bad idea depending on how big the area you live in is. Western Wisconsin sounds smallish to me.

Western Wisconsin sounds smallish to me.

Yeah, it's not very big. La Crosse is about 52,000+........the larger cities of Eau Claire and Rochester, MN are over an hour away.

There are good opportunities at Gundersen Health System and at Mayo Health System, as both are expanding rapidly in the area. My experience with pharmaceuticals and some very good references should serve me well.

• Like 1

The Farewell Gathering. McKesson had a fully catered lunch banquet and gave us many parting gifts. The blue banners are for the six times the La Crosse site won "Distribution Center of The Year" ..... 2001, 2004, 2006, 2010, 2012, and 2016.

A strange but very efficient group, we were.....and boy, did some of us get DRUNK afterwards! :hail: :hail: :hail: :doh: :LOL:

http://i852.photobucket.com/albums/ab88/unclemonteee/McKesson1_zps59jgxtzv.jpg

I'm seated on the floor, in the grey polo shirt. After eating so much, I needed help getting back up! :laughing guy:

• Like 2