The 1980s: The most underrappreciated decade of hard rock/heavy metal

fraroc

Yngwie, Kix and Winger don't really qualify as "great" anything.

But up until the latter part of the decade, I think most people think of the 80s as metal's heyday.

You know what they say about opinions...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NozSLdxAVnw

Do you think it's a coincidence that the "dork" on Beavis and Butt-head wore a Winger shirt?

• Like 1

Never heard anyone say the eighties was 100% bad.

Bands and artists I grew up with were huge in the eighties and are still loved now:

U2

Depeche Mode

The Cure

REM

Pixies

My Bloody Valentine

Metallica

The Jesus And Mary Chain

Slayer

Testament

Madonna

Bruce Springsteen

Bon Jovi

Michael Jackson

And there are still plenty of people who love the pop of that era, hair metal, new wave...

That is just a very short list of bands from the 80s who get a ton of love today. I'm not sure what circles fraroc is talking to people in but he needs to widen it and realise that the 80s is a decade of music still adored by millions.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 1

Bands and artists I grew up with were huge in the eighties and are still loved now:

U2

Depeche Mode

The Cure

REM

Pixies

My Bloody Valentine

Metallica

The Jesus And Mary Chain

Slayer

Testament

Madonna

Bruce Springsteen

Bon Jovi

Michael Jackson

And there are still plenty of people who love the pop of that era, hair metal, new wave...

That is just a very short list of bands from the 80s who get a ton of love today. I'm not sure what circles fraroc is talking to people in but he needs to widen it and realise that the 80s is a decade of music still adored by millions.

Exactly! I just posted the ones that sprang to mind...and I stopped before I sat their for hours typing...typing...typing...

Fraroc rarely leaves social media. It's not surprising he reads like three opinions and think they each represent the WHOLE WORLD'S OPINION!

• Like 3

What people think of as Metal typically comes from what they see from the 80s. Oh you like metal? So you are into Twisted Sister and stuff?

Maybe i live under a rock......and granted i don't get out much.......but i've not heard of this anti-80's movement you speak of.

sure the decade had shitty stuff but what decade doesn't?

i love the 80's music wise...... hell movie wise it ruled too.

Mick

• Like 4

U2

Depeche Mode

The Cure

REM

Pixies

My Bloody Valentine

Metallica

The Jesus And Mary Chain

Slayer

Testament

Madonna

Bruce Springsteen

Bon Jovi

Michael Jackson

Exactly! I just posted the ones that sprang to mind...and I stopped before I sat their for hours typing...typing...typing...

Fraroc rarely leaves social media. It's not surprising he reads like three opinions and think they each represent the WHOLE WORLD'S OPINION!

I've noticed fraroc worries too much about who isn't listening to the music he likes instead of enjoying it with others that do. We talk about 80s music in a positive way all the time on here but you never see him join in the conversations.

• Like 3

U2

Depeche Mode

The Cure

REM

Pixies

My Bloody Valentine

Metallica

The Jesus And Mary Chain

Slayer

Testament

Madonna

Bruce Springsteen

Bon Jovi

Michael Jackson

I've noticed fraroc worries too much about who isn't listening to the music he likes instead of enjoying it with others that do. We talk about 80s music in a positive way all the time on here but you never see him join in the conversations.

fraroc cares to much about the popularity aspect of music and whether or not the bands he likes are known.

hell he do this with bands he just heard 2 mins ago, lol

I've never seen a music fan do this it's kind of fascinating, lol

Mick

• Like 3

Mick

https://en.wikipedia...singles_in_1974

Here's a link to the top hit singles of 1974, to help make Mick's point. Lots of cheese (most of which I actually enjoy).

74 was a VERY cheesey year pop music wise. i've heard lots of other people say that too.

not bad to me......just kinda goofy, lol

Mick

• Like 1

Mick

https://en.wikipedia...singles_in_1974

Here's a link to the top hit singles of 1974, to help make Mick's point. Lots of cheese (most of which I actually enjoy).

74 was a VERY cheesey year pop music wise. i've heard lots of other people say that too.

not bad to me......just kinda goofy, lol

Mick

Lots of gimmick songs. Fun, though.
  • Like 1

It might have more to do with the production for a lot of metal too: Gated snare drums, tinny guitars with no balls.

And yeah, I'm sure synths are part of this too haha.

• Like 2

It might have more to do with the production for a lot of metal too: Gated snare drums, tinny guitars with no balls.

Are you kidding me? Those thunderous snares were the best!

New wave had more tinny guitars then metal ever had in the 80s.

You need to realise you're opinion isn't the final word.

So-called tinny guitars compliment New Wave music. Not so much hard rock or metal.

i've heard 80's metal that i thought sounded like crap.

i was about to namedrop Images and Words but then i remembered that was 90's, lol

but it might has well be 80's......that triggered snare though, lol

Mick

• Like 2

A lot of this discussion is focusing on the radio and MTV hits. The commercial aspect.

Thrash and punk was hardly tinny.

Listen to Ride the Lightning or Zen Arcade.

A lot of enduring 1980s hard rock, punk metal was heavy.

• Like 3

This is my beef with the '80s music that I don't care for (and that does not mean all of it). I hated the way that drums were recorded, and the production values that dominated the '80s- lots of reverb on the snare drum and none on the bass drum (whereas prior to that, in the '70s, it was mostly the exact opposite- which I just like better).

I certainly won't fault synths across the board, as I have come to appreciate them a lot more than I used to. There is a point of synth saturation, though, when it comes to my personal taste, and some '80s music goes terribly overboard in that department.

That being said, though- there are some things from the '80s that I love (and not just Rush)- REM had a great run then, as well as a number of different metal bands. And that's not all...there was a lot there to enjoy.

Edited by Blue J
  • Like 2

This is my beef with the '80s music that I don't care for (and that does not mean all of it). I hated the way that drums were recorded, and the production values that dominated the '80s- lots of reverb on the snare drum and none on the bass drum (whereas prior to that, in the '70s, it was mostly the exact opposite- which I just like better).

I certainly won't fault synths across the board, as I have come to appreciate them a lot more than I used too. There is a point of synth saturation, though, when it comes to my personal taste, and some '80s music goes terribly overboard in that department.

That being said, though- there are some things from the '80s that I love (and not just Rush)- REM had a great run then, as well as a number of different metal bands. And that's not all...there was a lot there to enjoy.

in fact i'm gonna be honost. i didn't actually dive further into the decade till later on in my teens cause of the "typical 80's production" i was stricrly a 60's 70's guy..

but than i got over that prejudice and dived in and i feel in love with the decade.

That doesn't make the keyboards/synths any less obnoxious.....especially in the late 80's.....it got bad.

That's why when nirvana exploded it was like thank Jesus, lol

Mick

• Like 2

A lot of this discussion is focusing on the radio and MTV hits. The commercial aspect.

Even Seattle Grunge was a child of the 80's, spawned by the likes of Green River (later Mudhoney), Soundgarden and Mother Love Bone. The entire SubPop label.

Oh t i want to add there was nothing more Sad than hearing the heroes of the 60/70's succumb fully to the 80's sound, lol

Rough decade for a bunch of those guys....not all of them though

Mick

• Like 2

Oh t i want to add there was nothing more Sad than hearing the heroes of the 60/70's succumb fully to the 80's sound, lol

Rough decade for a bunch of those guys....not all of them though

Mick

... and the hair / clothing styles that came with it. ouch, on the headband and parachute pants.

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w276/custom55/bb9374b58f37a6e893974d4d0bf28a60_zpsodkrbvim.jpg

Edited by custom55
  • Like 1

Yeah, unfortunately the mainstream stuff was so prevalent with MTV, most casual music folks only Associate the 80s with the cheesy stuff.

I don't understand why you respond to just this message out of all the other ones since your last post. I especially don't understand why you respond to this and not the question I directly asked you.

May I ask why you chose not to answer my question?

• Like 1