Public Bathrooms - How Severe Is Your Phobia ??

Lucas

Public Bathrooms  

15 members have voted

1. 1. How Do You Feel About Using A Public Bathroom ?

• Never gave it a second thought - THAT'S WHAT SHOES ARE FOR
    • As long as I am alone, I'm OK - but I dread someone listening
    • As long as I am alone, I'm OK - but I dread someone striking up a conversation
    • Understandably aware of my surroundings - I use paper towel to touch sinks and door handles
    • Mortified - it takes 10 minutes just to get in and out, lifting my pant legs and tip toeing so as not to touch the wet floor
    • Complete avoidance - I'd feel more comfortable just squatting in a desolate area of the store or building
    • I like to sit in a stall, tap the divider, and wait for someone to tap back
    • I just hold it until I get home

Absolutely fine going for a pee in them, but I absolutely avoid having a poo in them. If it absolutely has to be done, double layers of toilet paper will be put across the seat before I plonk myself on it.

But if it absolutely needs to be done, isn't putting toilet paper down on the seat wasting precious time? Especially if there's a serious mudslide of the century thing about to happen. What if an accident starts to occur before you finish your prep? I guess I just don't understand why people do that? Whenever I need to go in public, I get in there, drop my bombs and get out. Unless the restroom just has putrid conditions, the odds are slim to none that you will catch anything by sitting on a toilet with no protection.

As for the pictures on the other page, you can't give the members of this board the opening to do that. Especially treeduck :LOL:

In regards to your last sentence: :LOL:

In regards to your comments regarding sitting down with no seat paper lining: You're right...but I still hover. I'm not sitting down there toilet paper lining or not. This is where my phobia comes into play.

• Like 1

Shouldn't have looked at this with my breakfast. Oops.

The only bathrooms that gross me out are on airplanes. Some people are just pigs.

At least you know what you're getting into with Asian washrooms/toilets/holes in the floor!

http://img.timeinc.net/time/daily/2009/0902/toilet_rest_0219.jpg

• Like 1

The only bathrooms that gross me out are on airplanes. Some people are just pigs.

At least you know what you're getting into with Asian washrooms/toilets/holes in the floor!

Hey vt, how about toilets on Asian trains or buses? You know what I'm sayin'!

• Like 1

Absolutely fine going for a pee in them, but I absolutely avoid having a poo in them. If it absolutely has to be done, double layers of toilet paper will be put across the seat before I plonk myself on it.

But if it absolutely needs to be done, isn't putting toilet paper down on the seat wasting precious time? Especially if there's a serious mudslide of the century thing about to happen. What if an accident starts to occur before you finish your prep? I guess I just don't understand why people do that? Whenever I need to go in public, I get in there, drop my bombs and get out. Unless the restroom just has putrid conditions, the odds are slim to none that you will catch anything by sitting on a toilet with no protection.

As for the pictures on the other page, you can't give the members of this board the opening to do that. Especially treeduck :LOL:

In regards to your comments regarding sitting down with no seat paper lining: You're right...but I still hover. I'm not sitting down there toilet paper lining or not. This is where my phobia comes into play.

But doesn't hovering come with issues as well? It's not a situation where you can really aim properly or control how things come out. Sitting on the bowl is perfect because it's designed to catch any "shrapnel" and you don't have to worry about proper positioning as much. That's why those squat/floor toilets don't make sense to me either. How dirty must the floor get sometimes? What if someone has bad knees, back or is a larger person? Squatting can be very difficult for them to do.

Edited by J2112YYZ

ew! Forgot about those, as I try not to use 'em...ferries are pretty raunchy too!

But when ya gotta go...

• Like 1

But doesn't hovering come with issues as well? It's not a situation where you can really aim properly or control how things come out. Sitting on the bowl is perfect because it's designed to catch any "shrapnel" and you don't have to worry about proper positioning as much. That's why those squat/floor toilets don't make sense to me either. How dirty must the floor get sometimes? What if someone has bad knees, back or is a larger person? Squatting can be very difficult for them to do.

Yes, squatting can be tough for all the reasons you said.

And the nastiest Asian toilets I've seen have been a million times worse than the worst I've seen in North America or Europe. But if the custom of a nation is to squat then the difficulty isn't as hard as it is for us westerners. Over a billion Chinese and a billion Indians do this multiple times every day. Surely, there are millions with bad knees, backs, or are overweight. Yet, they manage...or maybe they don't (as seen in treeduck's pics!)

:LOL:

ew! Forgot about those, as I try not to use 'em...ferries are pretty raunchy too!

But when ya gotta go...

Isn't it like a 9-10 hour bus ride from Bangkok to Phuket? I forgot. But I do remember the gross bus restroom (luckily, I just had to do #1).

I should've flown!!! :LOL:

• Like 1

And the nastiest Asian toilets I've seen have been a million times worse than the worst I've seen in North America or Europe. But if the custom of a nation is to squat then the difficulty isn't as hard as it is for us westerners. Over a billion Chinese and a billion Indians do this multiple times every day. Surely, there are millions with bad knees, backs, or are overweight. Yet, they manage...or maybe they don't (as seen in treeduck's pics!)

I guess if you've used the squat toilets all your life and don't know anything else then people know ways to use them if they have physical issues. I would just hate to have to use one of those if I had the runs :o

• Like 1

I guess if you've used the squat toilets all your life and don't know anything else then people know ways to use them if they have physical issues. I would just hate to have to use one of those if I had the runs :o

Well, I had to learn how to use them when I moved out here. Luckily, I don't have to use them every day as there are enough western toilets around to avoid squatters...most of the time.

However, I've had the runs and had to use a squatter here and in mainland Asia. It's not easy but I could probably sink a 3 pointer from as far as half court. Wait, what am I talking about?

• Like 2

No.1 fine but No.2 very rarely and only if its an extreme emergency... Edited by Narps

Depends on where the bathroom is and how well the bathroom is kept.

Regarding option 3... who the hell strikes up a conversation when on the toilet? http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/confused/confused0071.gif Is that really a thing?
  • Like 1

Regarding option 3... who the hell strikes up a conversation when on the toilet? http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/confused/confused0071.gif Is that really a thing?

I put that in there because one time, I thought I was in the clear .. I had the bathroom to myself, and was washing my hands to leave, and in walks some guy who makes eye contact with me in the mirror and stops to talk ..

I said "yo no hablo Ingles" and beat it outta there as fast as possible

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 2

For those of you that never or very rarely use #2 in public restrooms, aren't you ever far from your house?

I'd like to be able to teleport back to the comfort of my own commode in those cases but it's just not possible.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze

I've had people I know at work talk to me but that's when we're at the sink on the way out. Even then it's just pleasantries exchanged and i'm never the one who speaks first. But at the urinal or in the stall, never has anyone said anything. If I know the person really well, I might let it slide. But a complete stranger trying to talk to me? Unacceptable.

• Like 1

I've told Lucas and Treeduck this one before...

There's a bathroom in one particular building in the heart of the city out here that has a urinal which measures your piss pressure. There's a digital display and everything. The display looks like one of those blood pressure machine displays...except that it's measuring the pressure of your piss!!! Why? Because Japan!!! :LOL:

• Like 4

There's a bathroom in one particular building in the heart of the city out here that has a urinal which measures your piss pressure. There's a digital display and everything. The display looks like one of those blood pressure machine displays...except that it's measuring the pressure of your piss!!! Why? Because Japan!!! :LOL:

https://singularityhub.com/2009/05/12/smart-toilets-doctors-in-your-bathroom/

wow

• Like 1

wow

That's not the same as what I'm talking about but yeah I've seen displays of those models too.

Hey Lucas, did I tell you before that many Chinese tourists buy toilet seats when they're on vacation here?...because the toilet seats are heated and have all sorts of special gadgets and additions. ((I just want the seat clean for Pete's sake)) :LOL:

Related...my bathtub speaks! I swear. It says when the bath is ready or what it's doing. I can start the bath and go do other things for a bit. Then there's a chime and it'll tell me when I can hop in.

wow

That's not the same as what I'm talking about but yeah I've seen displays of those models too.

Hey Lucas, did I tell you before that many Chinese tourists buy toilet seats when they're on vacation here?...because the toilet seats are heated and have all sorts of special gadgets and additions. ((I just want the seat clean for Pete's sake)) :LOL:

Related...my bathtub speaks! I swear. It says when the bath is ready or what it's doing. I can start the bath and go do other things for a bit. Then there's a chime and it'll tell me when I can hop in.

So are the toilet seats similar to what we've got in the USA ?? .. geesh, I don't think I'd have any desire to have a smart seat .. I mean, I;ve never even owned a car that had a screen in it

Just please don't tell me that there are toilets that will make a "gulp" sound when you drop something in over a certain mass or weight

wow

So are the toilet seats similar to what we've got in the USA ?? .. geesh, I don't think I'd have any desire to have a smart seat .. I mean, I;ve never even owned a car that had a screen in it

Just please don't tell me that there are toilets that will make a "gulp" sound when you drop something in over a certain mass or weight

I have a regular toilet seat because I don't want to pay hundreds or thousands of dollars for that stuff.

I don't know if there are some with a "gulp" sound BUT there are some that have sounds that'll hide YOUR sounds. I mean, I don't think they're playing 2112 or anything but yeah.

Of course, there are the more practical or reasonable extras like the built in bidet, heated seating, or air freshener. But really, most (or arguably all) of those extras are pretty useless and unnecessary.