Rock critics dislike Eagles? Your opinion about this band?

Texas King

One of the most popular bands among Americans are Eagles, but they never got acclaims from music critics.

What's your opinions about this band, do you agree with views of critics? If you like Eagles then can you say why critics dislike them?

And how did they become vastly popular band in the US? What kind of mass appeal they have there?

Personally I'm not a big fan of them, but don't dislike them either. I like some of their tunes and I think they are a talented band, but a bit one-dimensional with their country-rock music style. Sometimes they are more COUNTRY than ROCK to my ears.

But I saw many ratings of their albums on Internet music sites and they are generally average or low, esp.on RYM site:

http://rateyourmusic.com/artist/eagles

What you think about a band Eagles, their popularity in America and critical views on them?

Edited by Texas King

I have never let the views of critics influence me, other than the fact that reviews are interesting to read sometimes. That is probably true of most people on TRF; you know how critics felt about Rush for years!

The Eagles sounded really interesting when they first came out; not many bands were doing the California country rock thing yet and no one was doing it so well. At the time I really liked the Eagles debut album and I loved On The Border; thought it was so excellent. I love Joe Walsh's playing but I never liked Hotel California; I know I'm in the minority there.

The Eagles have gotten SOOOO over played over the years , though, that I can't stand to hear them anymore. The song writing didn't hold up to repeated playing. I could hear Anthem or Xanadu or The Garden (insert your favorite here) 1500 more times and it would be OK but the Eagles songwriting was good, not great. Their songs that have held up the best IMO were written by Jackson Browne. (ETA and Ol' 55 by Tom Waits of course on On The Border. Can't go wrong there and they knew it!!)

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 2

The worst. A pox on their houses.

Bland, beige, country-lite garbage.

f**k them.

Listen to Gram Parsons stat.

Exactly. They took something wonderful and put it through a filter of weak piss.

Man, I love Gram, country Byrds and the Burritos.

• Like 3

I had "On The Boarder" on 8 Track. Looking back to 1974, not sure why...

That was the only Eagles album I ever owned.

Edited by custom55

Highly talented band with incredible harmonies and guitar leads and a knack for writing good songs. I don't care for them however. They could have been called a Country Light band, but so could many other Southern Rock bands.
  • Like 1

The main problem I have with the Eagles is that there is no oomph in their music. They sound very hollow and very thin. They are a band with no balls with their noses held up in the air. They come across very condescending.

And yes, the documentary on them is very good.

• Like 5

I couldn't stand them back when they were cranking out hit after hit but have grown to appreciate them in my old age. I can't hear a song by them without it reminding me of some place or some time in my teen years. Their music is soothing to me now...
  • Like 1

The main problem I have with the Eagles is that there is no oomph in their music. They sound very hollow and very thin. They are a band with no balls with their noses held up in the air. They come across very condescending.

And yes, the documentary on them is very good.

Don's drum sound KILLS me. i mean he was never the best anyway but it sounds like he's hitting a bucket of mashed potatoes. the production is lifeless.

makes me mad, lol

Mick

• Like 4

They are one of my all time faves and I don't let others or critics tell me what to like or not like but I have opinions on why they have haters. They were big during the punk years when the critics were all about less is more and the Eagles are the opposite of punk. They had strong melodies and hooks and very clean production and that pop orientation is looked at as detracting from real artistic integrity. They had attitudes at times that rubbed people the wrong way such a s Glenn Frey being a douchebag in general and Don Henley having an almost Bono level of coming off holier than thou. for me, the music, melodies, harmonies are fantastic and I like the majority of thir catalog especially the Felder years.
  • Like 2

Eagles Live '79 is pure gold.There are plenty of reasons to dislike Frey and Henley as people, but as artists they could sure craft and execute melodies and harmonies.

The Joe Walsh years are great.

• Like 4

Eagles Live '79 is pure gold.There are plenty of reasons to dislike Frey and Henley as people, but as artists they could sure craft and execute melodies and harmonies.

Joe Walsh...he cracks me up. Too bad he and Alex didn't write lyrics together.

• Like 1

I loved, then HATED, and now love them again.

Living in California will do that to a person. :D

I don't like everything they've done but some of it is truly classic.

Last Resort

Take it to the Limit

Most of the Desperado album

just to name a few

Joe Walsh is great. :) Love his stuff,

• Like 1